GDT: ECF: Game 3 - New York Rangers @ Florida Panthers, 3pm ET, ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
after some thinking, give Kakko another chance, it's the right thing to do. I'd even put Kak on the PK but maybe that's too much to ask. The thing about Wheeler is despite how sluggish he looked during the reg season this ISN'T the reg season and for a vet with 900+ NHL games under his belt, going right into an ECF matchup might be the best thing for him to wake from his slumber. You never know. Wheels can play a heavy game when asked of him. Interesting to see what Lavi does here.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We could use more than 4 points from that line between 50-91-24 in two plus series.
We need the bottom-6 to win their matchups. This will be much harder to begin with when they have the last change. The third line was caved in last game before the 3rd period, when they got their shit together a bit.

Top-6 is there to produce goals. Bottom-6 should at a minimum stay even. It's not a net positive if the "improved" bottom-6 scores a few more goals but concedes many more.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Moves that Laviolette made for game 2 largely worked (Chytil to Zibanejad, Roslovic and Cuylle to 3rd, Rempe on 4th). Let these combinations continue and just reinsert Kakko for Vesey on the 4th to start and then see how it goes.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Being faster than Kakko isn't that big of a plus, haha. Just looking at how Wheeler started the season, on top of a lower body injury, I'm a bit apprehensive to play him.

Reactions: majordomo

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
For the love of god:

Kreider - Mika - Ros
Panarin - Troch - Laff
Cuylle - Chytil - kakko
Goodrow - Wennberg - Rempe

Wennberg is a black hole on offense. He’s a good shutdown guy - use him that way instead of keeping him on the third line and wondering why it doesn’t score.
If the lineup is literally anything else then we know the hockey gods hate us.

Reactions: Nickmo82

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Some fans don’t care about reality. Rempe has below average advanced metrics, but the team wins every time he skates.
“…but the team wins every time he skates.” That is the reality. He brings something beyond his below average (which generally about HALF of NHL players are (yes I know the difference between average and median)) advanced metrics.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyHagelin

Jack Hanson

Oct 5, 2023
So now I have to drink beer at 3pm

1716742565246.png

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Speed does not matter nearly as much against Florida. They wanna slog down the game. The only part where speed matters is gathering dump ins in our own zone and getting it out quickly before their forecheck gets it. But they are good at that, because they are a good team. Wheeler can still create offense when we have offensive zone time and he is a big body dude that has a ton of playoff experience. I think he could be completely fine here and I see him as a better option than a healthy Vesey even if he is good to go.

Ideally

Panarin Trocheck Laf
Kreider Zib Ros
Cuylle Chytil Wheeler
Goodrow Wennberg Rempe

I just don't really see much of a spot for Kakko now

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
after some thinking, give Kakko another chance, it's the right thing to do. I'd even put Kak on the PK but maybe that's too much to ask. The thing about Wheeler is despite how sluggish he looked during the reg season this ISN'T the reg season and for a vet with 900+ NHL games under his belt, going right into an ECF matchup might be the best thing for him to wake from his slumber. You never know. Wheels can play a heavy game when asked of him. Interesting to see what Lavi does here.
Well he can't leave Rempe out after the game he played on Friday. Forget about what it says to Rempe......what would it say to the rest of the team ?.......play great doing everything the coach asks of you and you get scratched .

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Gameplan is simple...

#1. Rempe plays
#2. Laffy scores a goal

That's a 95% win rate. Quick mafs

Wheeler has good top end but getting there is the problem.
I don't think Kakko has good acceleration either, I think that's typically the issue when the eye test and NHL Edge top speed don't line up. Like Panarin & Kakko have similar top end speed, but I find Panarin to be the far faster player, I'd presume its because his acceleration is a lot better

Reactions: cheech70

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We gonna see Cuylle on the PK today?

I don't think Kakko has good acceleration either, I think that's typically the issue when the eye test and NHL Edge top speed don't line up. Like Panarin & Kakko have similar top end speed, but I find Panarin to be the far faster player, I'd presume its because his acceleration is a lot better
quickness and acceleration are far more important in this day and age imo. Kakko has good stop and start but every aspect of 'mobility' could be improved upon. He also hates the middle of the ice like Mika

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Kakko has an awful first, second, and third step

It’s what has held him back the most so far. It’s why he’s not on the PK either. He would chasing the whole time

I do think if he ever fixes those first steps he will be a really good player

Reactions: duhmetreE

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Rempe is a really likeable guy and seems to really appreciate being on the team but I’m not really sure where people get the idea he’s been helping the last few games. Hes been statistically really bad and then of course one of his caved-in shifts last night results in a penalty on Goodrow, and then NYR gives up a goal on the ensuing power play.

In Rempe's last 5 games, 5v5 shot attempts with him on the ice are 30-46, shots are 13-17, scoring chances are 8-20, high dangers are 3-10, goals are 0-1, and he's got a 40% xGF%. Last night scoring chances were 0-6 and high dangers 0-4 with him out there. It’s really just a sequence of chasing the play, making hits after the puck has already gone, and getting caught out of position. Igor has a 94% 5v5 save% in that timeframe and that is certainly saving face for him. If he was doing a good job on zone exits and carrying the puck down the length of the ice and cycling then i'd agree on the value, but none of that is really happening. Hes a guy you want to root for but when he's on the ice it's really just the other team dominating play while he makes hits after the fact, and everyone else is cleaning up the mess. All of that is being ignored under the guise of energy and hitting and excitement. If this team with a C and 5 A’s needs this guy to get energized there’s something wrong
The other thing.. after he got suspended he hasn't been the player he was when he came in. Kind of a tricky thing, they want him to be more than a meat head but he was more effective when he was kinda crossing the line. I mean... he gets some hits here and there but has he really been running people over? Has he actually been blowing people up? No. That's when he was effective. You just kinda accept there might be a penalty here and there. Otherwise he's just not that effective. Right now with him it's pretty much either be a menace or be a big guy skating around not doing too much

Reactions: Graves97

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Faster decision making and a far more dynamic player too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad