If Draisaitl refuses to sign an extension this summer, Should the Oilers trade him or ride it out and go All IN one more time.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Even without Draisaitl they would still be a team that aimed to win the Stanley Cup.
So, if Draisaitl doesnt sign, see him as one of the Oilers deadline acqusitions - just like teams sacrifice picks and prospect to acquire talent at the deadline, Oilers would sacrifice potential picks and prospects in order to keep Draisaitl.

Reactions: zeeto and 1989

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If he is willing to resign what does it take? 15 mil per? Do him and McDavid just tell the Oilers that they will both be getting max deals and to plan accordingly for 40% to go to both of them.

The Oilers will probably be biting the bullet next summer and just giving McDavid 20% of the cap since they can't lose him and they need him to retire there unlike Wayne. Way easier to do if Draisaitl is moved.
According to servalli 14x8 is is being discussed and expected to sign in july

mkatcherin00

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Oilers would be stupid to not take this
Nope

One is a ghost who is going to make 12 and soft

One is a bandaid in net with multiple career injuries

Can't read whole thread but Frank S has said drai is talking extending with Edmonton and wants an 8 year deal. Not a short Matthew's type deal

McDavid will follow with his large deal

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Where is he going that's a better situation than the one he's got. His team is in the Finals, 30 other teams are sitting at home. He has the best player in the world to play with, they have another budding star rising in Bouchard on the back end, Hyman is a 50 goal scorer, RNH is a decent player too.

The team is getting valuable Finals experience no matter what happens, young guys like Holloway and Broberg are growing and holding their own.

Knoblaugh seems like a very good coach, has gotten the team to play with more structure.

He has ownership in the team too in a figurative sense, the culture, what they've built, he is as responsible as anyone outside of McDavid, surely he has some pride in that in too. He's been through the tough times, why go somewhere else when they are just knocking on the door.

Oilers can offer him more money than anyone else to boot with an 8th year, meaning at 12.4 x 8 or so, other teams would have to offer like 14+ mill x 7 to match the dollars.

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
People are also really underestimating McDrai's friendship as well. They bought houses next to each for the summer, which is wild.

And McDavid's agent took over hockey ops, nobody takes that job when they think the best players want out.

Media talks a lot, but every indication has been that both want to win in Edmonton together imo.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People are also really underestimating McDrai's friendship as well. They bought houses next to each for the summer, which is wild.

And McDavid's agent took over hockey ops, nobody takes that job when they think the best players want out.

Media talks a lot, but every indication has been that both want to win in Edmonton together imo.

McDavid's fiance and Draisaitl's girlfriend are also best buds, they go on their own trips together without the guys and Leon's girlfriend will be a maid of honor for Connor's fiance at the wedding.

They are basically brothers at this point.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Draisaitl can sign an extension as early as July 1. However, if he refuses to sign an extension or talk contract until next year, should the Oilers gamble and still go ALL IN and risk letting Drai walk for free next summer, or should they trade Drai this summer and see if they can build a more complete team around Mcdavid?
In a 32 team league the chances of winning are so low, and Edmonton has too many holes IMO to go all in for a single year.

You don’t let a player like Draisaitl go for free under any circumstances

You find a hockey trade with someone

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I say trade him. I thought the Pens had to trade Malkin to win and was wrong about that but you can’t lose Drai for nothing. They won’t recover.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No trade never. Resigning or not. The McDavid core deserves to have as much shots at the Cup as possible. They’ve been given plenty of shots at it so far. Have to see it through.

But anyways, Drai is resigning in Edmonton anyways so it’s a moot point.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
I'm curious about these side-by-side summer houses. Anyone have any more scoop?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Go all in. 100%. Window is closing. If they don't win, and he is not extended, McDavid likely won't resign, and you need to go through a whole rebuild again.

They have a legitimate chance to win it before McDavid needs to resign. Go all in. Get a more reliable goaltender and that alone could propel them to win it all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I say trade him. I thought the Pens had to trade Malkin to win and was wrong about that but you can’t lose Drai for nothing. They won’t recover.
You and 90% of HF at the time who kept insisting it was the only way the Pens would ever get depth.

Point being - you don't trade players of Draisaitl's (or Malkin's) caliber when you're contending because 99% of the time the return won't be near enough to offset the loss.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'm curious about these side-by-side summer houses. Anyone have any more scoop?

1000005019.jpg

Reactions: robes1

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
well if it was Mcdavid you go all in but if its Drai you have to realize McDavid is the main piece so you trade anyone not named Mcdavid.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
They obviously should trade his sorry ass. He is all good when things are running smooth, but when the going gets tough he turns into a useless, unproductive cheap shooting cry baby. That`s the way it is. You surely won`t go anywhere when you need to pay him next year. Too much cap for way too little.
Draisaitl has all the talent in the world and when he is on, he is an all time great player. But too many times he has proven that he simply doesn`t have the mentality to perform when you really need him most.

• Haha
Reactions: ManofSteel55

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You and 90% of HF at the time who kept insisting it was the only way the Pens would ever get depth.

Point being - you don't trade players of Draisaitl's (or Malkin's) caliber when you're contending because 99% of the time the return won't be near enough to offset the loss.
Few things there but the big difference is if you don’t trade Drai you lose him for nothing. The cap savings will be ok but you’ll be looking at around a TK level of player filling in given cap increases. But if you trade him to a team like Buffalo you could be getting some very good and cap controlled pieces coming back.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
If they don`t trade him, he will sign with Boston next year, you can take that to the bank.
This is more or less an open secret in the German - Czech hockey community.
Draisaitl and Pastranak want and will play together. (Their dads are best homeys, too).And it obviuosly won`t be in Edmonton.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If they don`t trade him, he will sign with Boston next year, you can take that to the bank.
Draisaitl and Pastranak want and will play together. (Their dads are best homeys, too).And it obviuosly won`t be in Edmonton.
He's still under contract next year, and all the rumours right now point to Draisaitl wanting to sign longterm in Edmonton.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They obviously should trade his sorry ass. He is all good when things are running smooth, but when the going gets tough he turns into a useless, unproductive cheap shooting cry baby. That`s the way it is. You surely won`t go anywhere when you need to pay him next year. Too much cap for way too little.
Draisaitl has all the talent in the world and when he is on, he is an all time great player. But too many times he has proven that he simply doesn`t have the mentality to perform when you really need him most.
Sounds like he’s done quite a number on you

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
?? As nice as that might be, permit me to place zero stock in the “German-Czech” hockey community’s opinion since the fact that David Pastrnak’s father passed away when David was 17 seems to have escaped their purview.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I think you'd have to go all in, the return just wouldn't match what he brings

No indication that either guy is gonna walk though, that noise is always coming out of a particular Canadian city in Ontario

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
This has maybe already been posted, but a prominent NHL insider is predicting that Draisaitl (and McDavid and Bouchard) all sign long term at a combined number around 40 million.

Edmonton Oilers to sign Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard for $40 million per year, top NHL insider predicts

Its a Staples piece, but all he is really doing is quoting a Stauffer - Seravalli interview. Stauffer is very in the know with the Oilers org, so his insight should be considered.

Some key quotes:

Said Seravalli on Stauffer’s Oilers Now: “The Oilers need to make hay right now because they’ve got McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard only adding up to $25 million. The next iteration of this when everyone is locked up, because to me it’s when but not if…”

Article content

Stauffer interjected: “Whoa, whoa, whoa, you’re saying the Oilers are going to get all three of those guys signed.”

Seravalli: “I believe the Oilers have already begun discussions with Draisaitl’s camp.”

Stauffer: “I will tell you this: It’s my belief that the Draisaitl camp will want the maximum. They’re not looking for the Auston Matthews four year deal here. They’re looking at a long-term deal.”

Seravalli “My point is two years from now when the Oilers take the ice, those three same guys are going to add up to $40 million bucks.

Stauffer: “$16 (million), $14 and $10?”

Seravalli: “Yup. That’s my projection. And if the Oilers are sitting in their office with (hockey boss) Jeff Jackson’s big board that he has up there, I think the numbers are really close to that. The cap is also going to be $100 million then.”

Stauffer: “And you think they’re going to get all three, specifically McDavid and Draisaitl?”

Seravalli: “This is the only place on planet earth that both of them can play together. Where else are you going to go to play with Connor McDavid? He’s not going anywhere, I don’t think. They’re best friends. How many times this playoffs along has he (Draisaitl) said, ‘Connor McDavid does things no one else can do?’ ”
A important thing to consider is that Draisaitl thinks that Katz is the best owner in pro sports:

Seravalli: “It’s a story I didn’t really get a chance to tell this Stanley Cup Final just because they are down 3-0 and the vibe has been different, but it’s not lost on me on someone who started coming here 15 years ago how different this place is. Everything this is happening downtown — there is no mosh pit, there is no fan village, there is no gleaming new arena, there is no hotel that all the visiting teams like staying in without the support that they get from Daryl Katz.”

Seravalli said the Oilers were the Green Bay Packers of the NHL. “They’re a juggernaut of league business. The Oilers are a top seven revenue generating team in the NHL. They are a bottom five market size. Do the math on what that means.”

Seravalli said the Stanley Cup tickets are indeed expensive and fans are feeling it, but said the growth and success of the franchise stems from Katz stepping up to buy the team, push the building and provide the resources during lean years.

“Leon (Draisaitl) said they have the best owner in pro sports,” Seravalli said.

Article content

Seravalli said there’s not one thing that’s not looked after for the Oilers. “You want to do something special on an off day for the Super Bowl, we’ll do it…These players have everything at their disposal. Facilities, everything else that comes with it.”

Sevalli said he became interested in Katz’s relations to his players during the Oilers-Stars series when he saw Draisailt and Katz’s celebrating a big win. “They stood there and they hugged. And I was like, ‘Huh, that’s interesting.’ You don’t see that that often. There’s real relationship there.”

The Oilers have the contracts lined up to sign all these players long term, an owner willing to spend on whatever is needed, and all the big names love playing together and living in Edmonton. Draisaitl is staying. So is McDavid.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1