LeBrun: Early Trading: Utah and Montreal exploring NHL trade market

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Lots of rumours he won't resign with them. Let's not forget Flames are/will be rebuilding.
1729890797813.png

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I was happy when the Av's bailed on him early enough to recoup good value. He's a player that leaves you thinking he could get to that next level, but then never gets any better at all.
I can assure you he is bad but really bad, outside of skating he brings absolutely nothing, I can't believe he is on our 2nd line. When we did that trade I was really pissed, he is the kind of guy that avoid being on waivers because he is a former 1st pick

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Lots of rumours he won't resign with them. Let's not forget Flames are/will be rebuilding.

Depends how the next couple months go, if the wheels fall off from this start maybe he gets dealt. If the Flames stay competitive I could see him re-signing if the Flames throw the bag at him (which they would). All those rumors were from last year/the off-season and once all the free agents got dealt the noise around the team died off.

He's in an odd situation because without Backlund (our current C) I am 99% sure that Ras would be the Flames captain.

He's also playing at a Norris level this year so if the Flames are selling him, it's not going to be cheap.

Reactions: Benstheman

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If Bill Armstrong can talk Provorov into extending there then I could maybe see a Maccelli-Provorov swap.

The Jackets desperately need forwards and Utah D. I'm not sure if this works for the Jackets - Provorov is at his best right now and has been a big part of their early season success. Without him they run out of top 4 options pretty quick. Maybe if they're ready to call up Mateychuk.

I highly doubt Utah would have any interest in Provorov, and I don't see how Maccelli's value would be that of Provorov. Maccelli is a solid top 6 player who is decent but not great defensively and has no edge. It's not like he has negative value at just recently 24yo on a very solid contract for 2 more years. He could easily become a PPG player (has already been pretty close to it) and is already an exceptional playmaker at minimum. Not really his fault that he's mostly played with Crouse on the 3rd line.

Andersson I could definitely see as UHC is weak on the top pair and Andersson is exactly the type of d-man they'd be looking for who can play defensively. OTOH I would imagine those talks have already happened so I doubt much has changed.

I don't know what UHC would realistically want from MTL that would be newsworthy. Maybe Laine if they think he bounce back somehow but I kind of doubt that. I can't see Matheson being the ask considering Sergachev is already there and his age. I also can't see any of MTL's top 6 being available so...

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I highly doubt Utah would have any interest in Provorov, and I don't see how Maccelli's value would be that of Provorov. Maccelli is a solid top 6 player who is decent but not great defensively and has no edge. It's not like he has negative value at just recently 24yo on a very solid contract for 2 more years. He could easily become a PPG player (has already been pretty close to it) and is already an exceptional playmaker at minimum. Not really his fault that he's mostly played with Crouse on the 3rd line.

Andersson I could definitely see as UHC is weak on the top pair and Andersson is exactly the type of d-man they'd be looking for who can play defensively. OTOH I would imagine those talks have already happened so I doubt much has changed.

I don't know what UHC would realistically want from MTL that would be newsworthy. Maybe Laine if they think he bounce back somehow but I kind of doubt that. I can't see Matheson being the ask considering Sergachev is already there and his age. I also can't see any of MTL's top 6 being available so...
LeBrun linked Provorov to Utah by name. That’s the reason it was mentioned.
This also doesn’t mention Utah and Montreal are in discussion with each other.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
LeBrun linked Provorov to Utah by name. That’s the reason it was mentioned.
This also doesn’t mention Utah and Montreal are in discussion with each other.
LeBrun is no joke. I’m always inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I think Provorov makes sense because he’s UFA and can play either side. They can decide whether or not to re-sign him based on how he fits in and impacts team success this season.

My main issue is acquisition cost and leverage. Utah is more desperate to acquire a D than Columbus is to make a trade, I think. And while Proborov is a rental, he’s the kind of rental that often gets a 25th overall pick worth of value (or thereabouts) at the deadline. And I think they’d want more now.

Not sure what Utah would give up to make it happen. Doubt Columbus wants a pair of 2nds and Utah ain’t moving a 1st or top prospect. Maccelli won’t go for a rental either. Would Nick Schmaltz make sense? I think Columbus would have to add. Schmaltz has another year left. He also has a 10 team NTC. But he’s from the Midwest and played in the USHL, for the NTDP and for NoDak. So I feel like he wouldn’t be too against going to Columbus. Especially from Utah.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If Bill Armstrong can talk Provorov into extending there then I could maybe see a Maccelli-Provorov swap.

The Jackets desperately need forwards and Utah D. I'm not sure if this works for the Jackets - Provorov is at his best right now and has been a big part of their early season success. Without him they run out of top 4 options pretty quick. Maybe if they're ready to call up Mateychuk.

Any interest is schmaltz for provorov as the basis for a deal?

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
LeBrun is no joke. I’m always inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. And I think Provorov makes sense because he’s UFA and can play either side. They can decide whether or not to re-sign him based on how he fits in and impacts team success this season.

My main issue is acquisition cost and leverage. Utah is more desperate to acquire a D than Columbus is to make a trade, I think. And while Proborov is a rental, he’s the kind of rental that often gets a 25th overall pick worth of value (or thereabouts) at the deadline. And I think they’d want more now.

Not sure what Utah would give up to make it happen. Doubt Columbus wants a pair of 2nds and Utah ain’t moving a 1st or top prospect. Maccelli won’t go for a rental either. Would Nick Schmaltz make sense? I think Columbus would have to add. Schmaltz has another year left. He also has a 10 team NTC. But he’s from the Midwest and played in the USHL, for the NTDP and for NoDak. So I feel like he wouldn’t be too against going to Columbus. Especially from Utah.
One big positive about Provorov is he is good friends with Sergachev. A few years ago on a flyers broadcast Jim Jackson and Keith Jones talked about how the two used to train together in the summers. Something about running up mountains carrying tires or something crazy like that. I have seen a lot of Provorov over the years as I watch the Flyers with my Flyers fan brother. If he can regain his early days form, he would be a great get. Acquisition cost is key. No idea what that looks like though.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
One big positive about Provorov is he is good friends with Sergachev. A few years ago on a flyers broadcast Jim Jackson and Keith Jones talked about how the two used to train together in the summers. Something about running up mountains carrying tires or something crazy like that. I have seen a lot of Provorov over the years as I watch the Flyers with my Flyers fan brother. If he can regain his early days form, he would be a great get. Acquisition cost is key. No idea what that looks like though.
If it’s Maccelli, I think Columbus needs to add something substantial.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maccelli for a UFA strikes me as a disaster of an overpayment.

Realistically, how often do players in their contract season before UFA get rented out in November? I think the only chance that Provorov is traded before the deadline is if he's getting extended somewhere and that would be reflected in the trade price.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Kesselring, 2025 1st, and an A prospect (preferrably a C)?
Either you have an absurdly low threshold for "A prospect" or you're insane. Even subtracting the "A prospect", that's a big price.

Lmao one of those players had 57 points last year and the other is not an NHL caliber player. Also they are literally from the same draft class. Not only does Struble do nothing to solve the issue in Utah's lineup, the value is way off here
While that offer sucks for Utah, your response is equally sucky. Struble is an NHLer, but nothing special. I agree that he doesn't offer much to Utah.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Realistically, how often do players in their contract season before UFA get rented out in November? I think the only chance that Provorov is traded before the deadline is if he's getting extended somewhere and that would be reflected in the trade price.
Not sure Utah would want to dish out the type of longer term deal he’d want, sight unseen.

Schmaltz I could do. Maccelli, not without an add. And the add I don’t really see since Columbus doesn’t have any 2nds. I’m a big Malatesta fan (I think I stopped by your forum after yall picked him to compliment you on the selection and share my feelings on the player) but I don’t know that even Provorov and Malatesta for Maccelli feels like it’s enough for Maccelli for me.

Could we add a few 2nds to Maccelli to get Jiricek and then you just keep Provorov? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad