Post-Game Talk: Ducks visit Avalanche 6PM PDT October 18 2024

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I thought Terry wasn’t nearly as bad last year as the board sentiment would indicate. I think his raw stats bear that out as well. Was anybody good last year outside Vatrano? I mean Terry was literally one of our better players last year even if it wasn’t as good as other seasons he’s had.

And he’s been fantastic so far this year, our best player outside Dosty imo.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Last year he was not worth the contract we gave him.
He was though. 7 million is not as much as it used to be and he played at a 60 point pace on an awful team

And also, there were plenty of people saying the 7 year deal was a mistake.

Killorn is the one boat anchor contract we have. Big mistake there by Verbeek and it’s being compounded by forcing him with carlsson

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
There's a reason why a lot of guys don't get it together until they're 22-25. Meanwhile we're trotting out a lineup with 6 guys who are 19-21, and relying on them for some heavy lifting at that.

Just as a point of reference, the 91-92 Nords finished with 52 points in 80 games, and that was an IMPROVEMENT. But they already had:

Sakic, 22
Sundin, 20
Nolan, 19
Leschyshyn, 22
Foote, 20

They didn't break out until the following year. And then regressed to back under .500 the year after that.

The NHL is hard. Even high picks and future stars don't put it together as a team when they're still so young, despite flashing talent individually.

Last edited:

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I appreciate the resilience of this team. In a game where they got caved in, they didn't give up.

That said, this was embarrassing and, in most other ways, discouraging. Particularly from a coaching aspect, the Ducks had no answer to get the puck out of the zone, or to stop Colorado through the neutral zone, or to sustain pressure. Just ugly.

From a player standpoint, there were a few bright spots (Terry, Dostal, ummm maybe Carlsson), but there were some very disappointing performances. Killorn looks like a corpse. He's awful. McTavish, after a positive game, looked bad again. Harkins and Johnston were so, so terrible. I never want to see them in a Ducks sweater again. Fabbri had a rough game.

I can only hope that was an aberration.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Newell Brown had an evil mustache he’d be twirling it and laughing right now.

3879eb599c07c43d00f1b83f8441941ee216a3b3.gif

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What we saw last night is more or less what I expect from the team defensively. It's our offense that has me scratching my head raw.

I don’t think we will see these kinda games as much as last year. It was a difficult situation, lots of travel and then to end up in a high elevation area. Giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If they can take 3 points out of 4 in the next two game home stand , then will be happy, and will start to think they can put together a solid season. Still too early .

Again the PP, is a major issue. Don’t even know what else to even say at this point.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don’t think we will see these kinda games as much as last year. It was a difficult situation, lots of travel and then to end up in a high elevation area. Giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If they can take 3 points out of 4 in the next two game home stand , then will be happy, and will start to think they can put together a solid season. Still too early .

Again the PP, is a major issue. Don’t even know what else to even say at this point.

3 out of 4 points could be feasible as we're facing potentially another team without a great netminder in the Kings and we face the Celebrini-less Sharks. I still wouldn't feel great about the outlook of our season beating up on Sharks and teams with not-so-great goalies. If we win convincingly, then optimism springs.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Clune might be a fine coach and probably is more modern than Brown - and if he's a better fit for Cronin, then great - but now i'm really skeptical that there will be any impact attributable to either of them with regards to the PP. IMO it's all about lack of execution, our PPs so far have been a splitting image with last year. even if/when the PP improves, i really don't think i'll be convinced that it had much to do with the change in assistants. Kings PP doing alright certainly doesn't hurt Brown either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad