Ducks TV For Next Season( What channel?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hmmm. Something tells me it might not be long before we are all begging to pay anything to get rid of the ads. :laugh: But hey, I'll give it a try. :nod:

In a revolutionary step for sports fan engagement, the service will be offered as a free ad-supported streaming service, making it accessible without barriers and enhancing the fan experience with a low-latency feed and high ad-fill rate for a superior viewing experience. Utilizing APMC’s ad-tech solution Safe Exchange™ will allow both direct and programmatic ads on the service ensuring advertisers can have full access to the engaged audience base.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Will I be able to start the game from the beginning if I’ve come in late?
There will be the option to ‘watch from start’ if you are entering the stream halfway through the game. We will also be making the games available for 72 hours after as an on demand offering. Once the 72 hours is up, the game will be removed from Victory+ per NHL regulations.

This is a great feature!

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
nice. curious if this will remain a thing beyond this season

having access to bally is part of the reason i still haven't gotten rid of cable yet

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They are launching in Sep 2024

Ohhhh... just in time for the rookie tourney that runs from Sept 13 - 16! Well, that's the hope.

From the official website:

Each game of the tournament will be streamed live online for fans in each market, with Ducks games available at AnaheimDucks.com featuring Ducks Stream’s Play-by-Play broadcaster Steve Carroll and Color Analyst and Content Contributor Emerson Etem.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Ok to make it clear as mud, Ducks games will be on Victory plus this season or ESPN if it is a national televised game. There will be no games on Ballys this year. Is this correct?

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Ok to make it clear as mud, Ducks games will be on Victory plus this season or ESPN if it is a national televised game. There will be no games on Ballys this year. Is this correct?

Streaming will be Victory +, TV will be KCOP, Hazy, Ahlers, etc are all moving over. The implication is that there will be no games on Bally’s, sounds like there wasn’t a year left or at least there was an opt out with them being in negotiations with Bally’s.

Reactions: Static

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
This seems like a huge win for us local fans, but I can't help feeling skeptical. It seems too good to be true. What's the catch?

I think Dallas had the same streaming provider last season - does anyone know how that went for them?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Ohhhh... just in time for the rookie tourney that runs from Sept 13 - 16! Well, that's the hope.

From the official website:

Each game of the tournament will be streamed live online for fans in each market, with Ducks games available at AnaheimDucks.com featuring Ducks Stream’s Play-by-Play broadcaster Steve Carroll and Color Analyst and Content Contributor Emerson Etem.

Bastard. I didn't read Stephen's Athletic article:

Victory + debut:
Ducks president Aaron Teats said the hope is that one of the team’s six preseason games will be the debut telecast, with the Oct. 12 season-opening game at San Jose being the first of what could be 78 regular-season games shown on the platform.

Guess the streaming is through the Kings' streaming. This reminds me of when Arizona hosted the rookie tourney and you had your choice of BxB crew.

Viewers will not need to pay a fee to watch Ducks games, and this partnership ends the Ducks’ association with Bally Sports, which is part of the string of regional networks owned by Diamond Sports Group.
Bally Sports offered Ducks games to non-cable/satellite subscribers for a monthly fee to anyone viewing on devices within their market. Some streaming services, however, did not offer the network or have dropped it. While the Ducks continued to negotiate with Diamond after their contract expired, Teats said the Ducks had been looking at different options throughout the summer. Team owners Henry and Susan Samueli signed off on the switch to the ad-supported Victory+. A Parent Media Co., which made its name in children’s programming and content, is increasing its sports portfolio with Victory+.

In short, yes, the Ducks have moved on from Bally's and are under contract with Victory+ for two years. The Ducks joined Dallas on the Victory+ platform.
This seems like a huge win for us local fans, but I can't help feeling skeptical. It seems too good to be true. What's the catch?

I think Dallas had the same streaming provider last season - does anyone know how that went for them?

Dallas joined Victory+ earlier this summer as they broke away from Bally's as well. Victory+ hasn't been launched yet. From Forbes:

The app is set to launch in September. And despite the strong association between the Stars and the Victory brand, Victory+ is a platform that’s designed to also host other teams and other sports, once proof of concept is established.

Dallas signed an 8-year deal with Victory+.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
So does this mean they're finished with bally?

If you had an understanding of bankruptcy law and bankruptcy court, you would know this is not correct. They are not necessarily finished with Diamond/Ballys, which is why this is only a one year agreement.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you had an understanding of bankruptcy law and bankruptcy court, you would know this is not correct. They are not necessarily finished with Diamond/Ballys, which is why this is only a one year agreement.

Where are you seeing it is a one year deal between Anaheim and Victory+?

And guess what, I do not have an understanding of law and bankruptcy court.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Where are you seeing it is a one year deal between Anaheim and Victory+?

And guess what, I do not have an understanding of law and bankruptcy court.

Yes, I could tell that.

In simple terms, bankruptcy courts can do virtually whatever they want (only a slight exaggeration). The broadcast rights are an "asset" of the debtor - the bk court generally will not allow an asset to simply terminate if that harms creditors. In order for the broadcast rights agreements to terminate, the court will need to approve that.

Here is the key part of the article:

"The agreements, the filings said, change the terms of the contracts with the 22 teams, though those deals are sealed. But presumably it involves a reduction in rights fees given the deterioration of the regional sports network market, in return for the assurance of Bally Sports televising the games, as well as getting streaming rights.

If Diamond does not have a Chapter 11 exit plan by the end of the next NBA and NHL seasons, then the contracts are terminated. In the event Bally Sports defaults on payments before then, the teams become high priority creditors, and receive liens on Diamond assets. However, if Diamond does get a plan approved, the NBA and NHL agreements automatically continue past the upcoming season."

So:
  • We don't know all of the terms of the agreements with the NHL/Diamond.
  • We don't know if Diamond already defaulted under those agreement (quite possibly so)
  • Even if Diamond did default, the BK court very likely will still have a say in what happens to the long term rights. It is possible this was addressed in the sealed agreements - TBD.
  • If the report is correct, we know that Diamond has until 2024-25 to get a reorganization plan approved. That is April 2025 (or possibly later if the playoffs are factored in).
Bottom line, until the BK court makes a decision (either in a court order or approval of a bk plan), the status of the broadcast rights is unclear. My guess (and admittedly this is speculation based on recent reports of Amazon pulling back its funding) is that Diamond told the ducks it could not guaranty Diamond would have $$ to broadcast the full season so the ducks pivoted to a temporary solution. That doesn't mean that Bally's won't be involved going forward.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Yes, I could tell that.

In simple terms, bankruptcy courts can do virtually whatever they want (only a slight exaggeration). The broadcast rights are an "asset" of the debtor - the bk court generally will not allow an asset to simply terminate if that harms creditors. In order for the broadcast rights agreements to terminate, the court will need to approve that.

Here is the key part of the article:

"The agreements, the filings said, change the terms of the contracts with the 22 teams, though those deals are sealed. But presumably it involves a reduction in rights fees given the deterioration of the regional sports network market, in return for the assurance of Bally Sports televising the games, as well as getting streaming rights.

If Diamond does not have a Chapter 11 exit plan by the end of the next NBA and NHL seasons, then the contracts are terminated. In the event Bally Sports defaults on payments before then, the teams become high priority creditors, and receive liens on Diamond assets. However, if Diamond does get a plan approved, the NBA and NHL agreements automatically continue past the upcoming season."

So:
  • We don't know all of the terms of the agreements with the NHL/Diamond.
  • We don't know if Diamond already defaulted under those agreement (quite possibly so)
  • Even if Diamond did default, the BK court very likely will still have a say in what happens to the long term rights. It is possible this was addressed in the sealed agreements - TBD.
  • If the report is correct, we know that Diamond has until 2024-25 to get a reorganization plan approved. That is April 2025 (or possibly later if the playoffs are factored in).
Bottom line, until the BK court makes a decision (either in a court order or approval of a bk plan), the status of the broadcast rights is unclear. My guess (and admittedly this is speculation based on recent reports of Amazon pulling back its funding) is that Diamond told the ducks it could not guaranty Diamond would have $$ to broadcast the full season so the ducks pivoted to a temporary solution. That doesn't mean that Bally's won't be involved going forward.
It's odd to me to be so condescending about admittedly vague details, two of which you have already gotten wrong. It took five minutes of light research to find out Anaheim signed a multi-year deal to stream on the new network and that their rights deal with Bally's ended at the conclusion of last season. There are quotes in the original article saying they were negotiating a new deal with Bally's and this new company, they are not beholden to anything.

If you want to play with semantics and argue that there is a world where they end up back on Bally's somehow because this fails spectacularly, ok, but that isn't what you were doing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad