Ducks TV For Next Season( What channel?)

emptynetter3

Jan 8, 2024
this is a huge issue in sports.....I pay for a subscription to watch the games and get blacked out or "sorry you don't pay for cable so you cant watch ESPN/ESPN 2"(even though you are PAYING THEM DIRECTLY).....ok cool, how about i just cancel it, not give you guys money and watch it for free?....really not that hard to watch/unlock pretty much anything possible.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Sinclair sold naming rights to Bally's". It is Sinclair that went bk. Sinclair (or whoever it taking them over after bk) will have the right to change the name presumably.

To a larger (but related) point. It is amusing to me how many people in this thread: (i) think they should be able to watch in-market ducks games for free through means which are questionable at best; (ii) don't connect the dots between Ballys Bk and the fact that may people free load; and (iii) most importantly, don't recognize that free loading hurts the ducks by reducing the $$ they receiving from broadcast licensing rights (or the value thereof). My guess is many of the people free loading also complain when the ducks don't aggressively spend money.

There is zero chance the ducks will telecast games for free (nor should they).

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
Sinclair sold naming rights to Bally's". It is Sinclair that went bk. Sinclair (or whoever it taking them over after bk) will have the right to change the name presumably.

To a larger (but related) point. It is amusing to me how many people in this thread: (i) think they should be able to watch in-market ducks games for free through means which are questionable at best; (ii) don't connect the dots between Ballys Bk and the fact that may people free load; and (iii) most importantly, don't recognize that free loading hurts the ducks by reducing the $$ they receiving from broadcast licensing rights (or the value thereof). My guess is many of the people free loading also complain when the ducks don't aggressively spend money.

There is zero chance the ducks will telecast games for free (nor should they).
I don't need free. I'm happy to pay. But then give me all the games. Let me pay $120 or $240 for a Duck season or an NHL pass and just let me watch all the games hassle free.

Don't make it so I have to deal with blackouts. Don't make me also pay for some other channels or services. Don't give me only a portion of the games.

Is that an option? Is there a "buy this and you get to watch all the games!"? I'm not even sure anymore.

---

My side point is that if you are worried about fans, watching, attendance, buying merch... Why do you make it so hard for a non-fan, new-fan to try to stumble upon your product and get interested? How do you attract people to a sport they don't watch if you make it some bizarre, exclusive club with no clear directives of how to join or participate or how to view your sport?

I can probably walk around Socal right now, in Orange and ask 200 people, "how would you watch the Ducks games if you wanted to next season?" and beside myself, I bet none of those 200 people could give me an answer.

"Why is our viewership so low!? Where are the fans!??" Yeah, you don't have any fans because you literally don't want anyone to watch your games. I teach highschool with lets say 1600 kids in Socal, and I bet you 0 of them could answer the question, "If you thought you might like to watch hockey, what service/channel would you watch to catch a Duck's game?"

Guess we don't want that next generation interested in the sport, eh? Just blame pirating for the entire problem? "Oh, well if they really want to watch, they will buy XYZ and they will find a way to watch our amazing sport!" No they won't. They will watch something else.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't need free. I'm happy to pay. But then give me all the games. Let me pay $120 or $240 for a Duck season or an NHL pass and just let me watch all the games hassle free.

Don't make it so I have to deal with blackouts. Don't make me also pay for some other channels or services. Don't give me only a portion of the games.

Is that an option? Is there a "buy this and you get to watch all the games!"? I'm not even sure anymore.

---

My side point is that if you are worried about fans, watching, attendance, buying merch... Why do you make it so hard for a non-fan, new-fan to try to stumble upon your product and get interested? How do you attract people to a sport they don't watch if you make it some bizarre, exclusive club with no clear directives of how to join or participate or how to view your sport?

I can probably walk around Socal right now, in Orange and ask 200 people, "how would you watch the Ducks games if you wanted to next season?" and beside myself, I bet none of those 200 people could give me an answer.

"Why is our viewership so low!? Where are the fans!??" Yeah, you don't have any fans because you literally don't want anyone to watch your games. I teach highschool with lets say 1600 kids in Socal, and I bet you 0 of them could answer the question, "If you thought you might like to watch hockey, what service/channel would you watch to catch a Duck's game?"

Guess we don't want that next generation interested in the sport, eh? Just blame pirating for the entire problem? "Oh, well if they really want to watch, they will buy XYZ and they will find a way to watch our amazing sport!" No they won't. They will watch something else.

Most people still watch ducks games via cable tv. Anyone who has cut the cord knows exactly how to find ducks games - by subscribing to Bally’s, ESPN and TNT. It is not that hard.

And all of the “kids” know exactly how to find internet content (much of it pirated sports). I don’t know where you teach, but your claim strikes me as horribly wrong - that is based on my experience as a parent.

That is a separate question as to what creates young sports fans. I agree marketing matters as do youth sports. The ducks do a poor job on the former and a great job on the latter. Winning helps as well. I do think today’s youth have so many entertainment choices (notably internet content and video games) that they tend to be less interested in sports. So there’s that.

In terms of your desire to have one stop “watch/buy everything”, I get it. But in that respect the NHL is no different than any other sport. MLB, NFL, NBA and college football all have a similar set up that requires multiple subscriptions/sourcing. That is the model that maximizes revenue which is why the leagues pursue it.

Apple was at one point trying to create a central streaming portal/site (which they would control). Their competitors were not enthused . . . And pursued their own streaming strategies. It seems like apple is heading in that direction with their new Apple TV app but it may never happen. Everyone is still figuring out the right streaming model though no doubt apple and amazon seem to be the logical endpoints

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
And all of the “kids” know exactly how to find internet content (much of it pirated sports). I don’t know where you teach, but your claim strikes me as horribly wrong - that is based on my experience as a parent.
Ok true. If I asked for a sporting event, they would have 45 different pirate websites proposed and they would know the top 4-5 that even bypass school filters... But not a legit way :)

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
I dont want to pirate. I want to pay a provider $$$ in exchange for ducks coverage. No blackouts.
Let me pay amazon or youtube or att etc to watch the games. I cut the cord years ago and seek out ducks coverage. I however am already a fan and they dont make it easy to use setups you already have.

ideally if you want to grow the brand and team recognition and generate new fans (and revenue) … dont make it so only existing fans who are willing to hunt to find you would want to purchase.

I dont want them to leave ala youtubetv.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Not sure how to even contribute to this but where I lived (and grew up in the northeast) I couldn’t do anything but pirate.

NHL package was way too expensive, and the Ducks (especially during the OLN/Versus era) were NOWHERE to be found.

I wonder if Dallas’ decision on where they broadcast the games will effect the Ducks

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
That’s exactly where I am. I would literally cancel Direct TV Stream today if they didn’t carry the Ducks.
I mean I have spectrum. I live in LA. The valley. I watch kings games too. Having spectrum I can watch games on ESPN on the spectrum app. That's the good thing. I also have ESPN plus. My wife watches food network and local channels shows like bachelor and all. If there was not ducks hockey. I would cancel my cable

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
"Beyond that, it's time to focus on the teams to target. Though it won't make or break your fantasy chances this season, it's best to keep an idea of which teams will be playing the most games on off-nights (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday). The advantage of having players play on nights where your opponent doesn't have any could be the difference between winning and losing each week. "

I don’t get it. What’s the advantage?

edit - nevermind. I skimmed past the part that it was for fantasy teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really hope their success with ducks streams will inform how they grow this. If you put out quality content the audience is there.

One thing that is unclear is how the market area is drawn. I'm hoping San Diego county will still be "in".

Reactions: lwvs84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad