Rumor: Ducks trying to unload a contract in order to re-sign Rakell/Lindholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
So Anaheim, how's the off loading the contracts working out?

Guess keeping Fowler and not resigning Lindholm was part of the plan?

I'm sure this will work itself out before the season starts ... oh wait it starts tonight.

seriously, what if a team, say Carolina would offer sheet Lindholm today for 7 years 63M. Highly unlikely, what still possible. What would Anaheim do then? I'm shocked no one has done this this because a couple of teams have the cap space and Anaheim has little flexibility at this stage.

They can have him for 9 mil cap hit. Ducks will take the picks.

Talec

Jun 18, 2016
Remember any OS above 5 years will have the total amount divided by 5.

Anything between an average 7,510,464 to 9,388,080 or a total of 37,552,320 to 46,940,400 gets 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

Anything above either of those gets 4 1st.

If someone is giving us 4 1st rounders for Lindholm I'd think they're crazy but I might just take the 4 1st rounders.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
Remember any OS above 5 years will have the total amount divided by 5.

Anything between an average 7,510,464 to 9,388,080 or a total of 37,552,320 to 46,940,400 gets 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd

Anything above either of those gets 4 1st.

If someone is giving us 4 1st rounders for Lindholm I'd think they're crazy but I might just take the 4 1st rounders.

I still think the most likely Offer Sheet scenario is 2 years at the max limit for 1st/2nd/3rd. Expectation would be that when we get you away from your current situation, you will get a long term deal at market rate.

It essentially contains a poison pill because the QO for the next renewal is at that number.

Would be interesting for a team like the Ducks, if someone offered a 1 year 7.5 mil offer sheet to Lindholm, next year they would need to QO at that number, and if their salary structure stayed the same as it is right now at CapFriendly they would be at 68 million or so with only 18 players on the roster.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
You know Lindholm has to sign an OS right? It's not NHL 17 where you can just throw money at someone and they automatically accept it. Lindholm wants security so why he take a two year or even a one year deal?

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I still think the most likely Offer Sheet scenario is 2 years at the max limit for 1st/2nd/3rd. Expectation would be that when we get you away from your current situation, you will get a long term deal at market rate.

It essentially contains a poison pill because the QO for the next renewal is at that number.

Would be interesting for a team like the Ducks, if someone offered a 1 year 7.5 mil offer sheet to Lindholm, next year they would need to QO at that number, and if their salary structure stayed the same as it is right now at CapFriendly they would be at 68 million or so with only 18 players on the roster.

Except if Anaheim doesn't match its a poison pill for the salary structure of the team handing out that offer sheet. Not sure any GM is that stupid. Probably why it hasn't happened.

Oct 18, 2011
So Anaheim, how's the off loading the contracts working out?

Guess keeping Fowler and not resigning Lindholm was part of the plan?
Lindholms contract demands are the bigger issue, not the salary cap. he is not worth 7.5 yet.

I'm sure this will work itself out before the season starts ... oh wait it starts tonight.

seriously, what if a team, say Carolina would offer sheet Lindholm today for 7 years 63M. Highly unlikely, what still possible. What would Anaheim do then? I'm shocked no one has done this this because a couple of teams have the cap space and Anaheim has little flexibility at this stage.

yeah i am sure a team like carolina, who is loaded with good young defense, will blow a bunch of money and picks on a player they don't need
:facepalm:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Offersheet of 46.5 for 7 year is only two 1st ++ as conpensation. And it's 6.64M cap hit.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
A 5.9M X 6 or a 7MX5 would work out great for an offersheet. Compensation would be a 1st+2nd+3rd. If the team makes the playoffs that's more then worth it. Slight over pay cash wise, but there aren't a lot of D available like Lindholm.

Worse case it forces the Ducks into a move and they don't get as good a return for Fowler. :naughty:

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Offersheet of 46.5 for 7 year is only two 1st ++ as conpensation. And it's 6.64M cap hit.

The OS compensation is calculated based off of the annual average of the contract, or the amount of the contract divided by 5 assuming the years offered is greater than 5. In that case, the average would be 9.3/year which should be greater compensation than two 1sts ++

Oct 18, 2011
except most teams right now do not have the combo of picks, and cap space to make a competitive offer sheet, which is lost on hfboards posters

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
A 5.9M X 6 or a 7MX5 would work out great for an offersheet. Compensation would be a 1st+2nd+3rd. If the team makes the playoffs that's more then worth it. Slight over pay cash wise, but there aren't a lot of D available like Lindholm.

Worse case it forces the Ducks into a move and they don't get as good a return for Fowler. :naughty:

Ducks match 5.9 x 6. 7x 5 is a stupid contract. Buy one UFA year for that inflated price?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
The OS compensation is calculated based off of the annual average of the contract, or the amount of the contract divided by 5 assuming the years offered is greater than 5. In that case, the average would be 9.3/year which should be greater compensation than two 1sts ++

It's just under the threshold at 9.388M for the 4 1st.
http://www.generalfanager.com/draftpicks/offersheets
And in their example I would guess the ++ is the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

It amazes me how often this needs to be said.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
except most teams right now do not have the combo of picks, and cap space to make a competitive offer sheet, which is lost on hfboards posters

It just takes 1.

Ducks match 5.9 x 6. 7x 5 is a stupid contract. Buy one UFA year for that inflated price?

7X5 would be just fine for stealing him from another team. Also Lindholm might be ok with the shorter contract and hitting UFA sooner.

Ducks matching an offersheet is fine too. They have 7 days to match the offersheet and be cap compliant. That could really hurt the value of the player they're moving.

Oct 18, 2011
It just takes 1.

7X5 would be just fine for stealing him from another team. Also Lindholm might be ok with the shorter contract and hitting UFA sooner.

Ducks matching an offersheet is fine too. They have 7 days to match the offersheet and be cap compliant. That could really hurt the value of the player they're moving.

the devils are the only team that makes sense

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
It just takes 1.

Of course lindholm takes a 7x5. No team is dumb enough to offer that is the point.

5.9 cap hit on lindholm doesn't do that much damage. That couldn't be very far off from what they're trying to get him signed to.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Oh course lindholm takes a 7x5. No team is dumb enough to offer that is the point.

5.9 cap hit on lindholm doesn't do that much damage. That couldn't be very far off from what they're trying to get him signed to.

Why is the 7X5 dumb? It's about a 1M over pay... not that big of a deal... For the Kings for example that would result in swapping King for Mersch to make up that difference. Some fans have been pushing for this anyways. Also if a team has about a 5 year window they're taking a shot at the cup at it could work just fine.

6X6 is probably around where the Ducks are trying to get, but they would have 1 week to move everything in time to get it done. Rushing trades hurts value.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Why is the 7X5 dumb? It's about a 1M over pay... not that big of a deal... For the Kings for example that would result in swapping King for Mersch to make up that difference. Some fans have been pushing for this anyways. Also if a team has about a 5 year window they're taking a shot at the cup at it could work just fine.

6X6 is probably around where the Ducks are trying to get, but they would have 1 week to move everything in time to get it done. Rushing trades hurts value.

It's dumb because not only are you overpaying( by more than a mil I'm sure), but you aren't even buying up UFA years to offset that.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Except if Anaheim doesn't match its a poison pill for the salary structure of the team handing out that offer sheet. Not sure any GM is that stupid. Probably why it hasn't happened.

This is exactly what CGY did with ROR when they signed him to an OS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad