Ducks & Kings to Unveil New Logos

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
this is definitely true. It was the lame Disney jersey that only little kids liked. I guess in a way that makes sense though because all us little kids grew up and still love them and want them back.
It was easy to dunk on the team, I mean it's based on a children's movie, it has a cartoon character logo. They typically sucked, and if you lived out East you could go a long time without actually watching any of their games as well.

I also think their white (then home) look isn't all that popular even now. There's a reason here people go on about the 'aubergine'/'eggplant'/'purple' so much..which of course wasn't very prominent on their home whites at all (in fact given this was the age before HD broadcasting, it wasn't always easily recognized as such to begin with on TV).

It's clear though that the new owners hated all of it. After the sale but before the rebranding, i.e. during the 2005/06 season, the team wore the black alternates without the Disney logo as much as they possible could. And I actually think those black/aubergine jerseys were among the slickest new looks of the last 30 years. It's actually astonishing how much better they looked than the black/purple Kings jerseys of the 00s. The Kings went with a blue-ish matte purple which really didn't look particularly good on its own or with any combination of colors, meanwhile the Ducks' almost maroon like color really popped with white and black. I think if they had stuck with the eggplant as a secondary color instead of orange back then, their rebranded look would have become much more popular.

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Sonds like the wild will also be rebranding in 25/26 to the Northstars colours. All and all, well done by them and the other teams.
In the NBA, Charlotte was able to get its Hornets name back from New Orleans when NO rebranded to the Pelicans.

I know it’s a pipe dream and will never happen, but I always hope the Dallas Stars would just rebrand as the Dallas Lone Stars so Minnesota can have ownership of the North Stars and that great N* logo once again. MLB has the Red Sox and White Sox. Who’s to say NHL can’t have 2 “Star” franchises? 😉

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
It's clear though that the new owners hated all of it. After the sale but before the rebranding, i.e. during the 2005/06 season, the team wore the black alternates without the Disney logo as much as they possible could. And I actually think those black/aubergine jerseys were among the slickest new looks of the last 30 years. It's actually astonishing how much better they looked than the black/purple Kings jerseys of the 00s. The Kings went with a blue-ish matte purple which really didn't look particularly good on its own or with any combination of colors, meanwhile the Ducks' almost maroon like color really popped with white and black. I think if they had stuck with the eggplant as a secondary color instead of orange back then, their rebranded look would have become much more popular.
You brought up HDtv. I think HD has really helped in watching the sport at home significantly. Imagine if HD were more prevalent during the NHL on Fox era. There wouldn’t have been a need for the gimmicky Glow puck.

I agree about those alternates. I was always surprised that these never ported over to Reebok or Adidas cuts. They could have also slapped the duckmask logo on there instead of the wordmark for any Reverse Retro releases. 🤷🏻‍♂️
52D1EF93-3F39-4D35-B924-99D8076C0E7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
An homage to "their" history only hey?

Does anyone outside of the ownership give a flying f*** which explicit franchise is which? People want to celebrate the hockey history of their city, they want the colours and jerseys they grew up with.

Get off your high horse and give the people what they want.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Well Icethetics is pretty much the definitive source on this stuff but it seems he either got bad information or the Wild are false flagging and the rebrand is coming later than Icethetics was told.
Or the rebrand is happening exactly as Icethetics was told, but the team doesn't want it known yet.

We simply don't have the information to know. That said, a lot of Icethetics' sources seem to be from retailers, who often get confidential advance information so they can plan purchases of stock, but plans do change all the time, and that advance planning information is always subject to change.

Reactions: HanSolo

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It was easy to dunk on the team, I mean it's based on a children's movie, it has a cartoon character logo. They typically sucked, and if you lived out East you could go a long time without actually watching any of their games as well.

I also think their white (then home) look isn't all that popular even now. There's a reason here people go on about the 'aubergine'/'eggplant'/'purple' so much..which of course wasn't very prominent on their home whites at all (in fact given this was the age before HD broadcasting, it wasn't always easily recognized as such to begin with on TV).

As a Kings fan, it was far too easy to mock those alternates since they basically mirrored the Kings colors. Why would you intro a jersey that is so close to the colors of your cross-town, "big brother" rival?

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Wish the Kings would come up with new designs instead of the same old re-hashes. But if you're going to reuse a past jersey the Chevy logo era is the most "timeless" looking. Forum blue and gold is too much like the Lakers.

I really can't believe no one has come up with a castle crest or a Kings playing card design.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
To me, as a kid who grew up in the 90s I HATE this logo and colour combo. I dont like the like the kings colours at all. I personally dislike any jersey with black as a majority colour. Black is best used as a trim in jersey. The kings have also been using that logo on 3rd jerseys for a long time and i feel it’s overplayed. Kings need a reinvention of their logo and colours, same with the Ducks. They had an iconic jersey, colours and logo and went black and then orange. No identity at all.

I hope they both knock it out of the park on their next jerseys because i hate watching them play in their current jerseys and as my team is in their division i see them too much.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I can't stand the wheat/tan/classic white color for the most part. I liked it on the Coyotes (RIP) and think it fit, but not a fan on the Wild.

I do like the green and yellow color scheme, but I feel like their logo looks better with more colors and adds to how unique it is. Just replacing the wheat color would be great and no other changes need to be made. Have the green and yellow as an alternate.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I was raised in LA and remember when we saw the first Ducks jersey and it's been subpar for that long. Something fresh would be good and not a cartoon.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
To me, as a kid who grew up in the 90s I HATE this logo and colour combo. I dont like the like the kings colours at all. I personally dislike any jersey with black as a majority colour. Black is best used as a trim in jersey. The kings have also been using that logo on 3rd jerseys for a long time and i feel it’s overplayed. Kings need a reinvention of their logo and colours, same with the Ducks. They had an iconic jersey, colours and logo and went black and then orange. No identity at all.

I hope they both knock it out of the park on their next jerseys because i hate watching them play in their current jerseys and as my team is in their division i see them too much.
I bought the Gretzky jersey, I LOVE it

GermanRocket7

Make Bettman irrelevant again
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
All the Kings need to do is have a full set of these

View attachment 880512
View attachment 880514
View attachment 880515

At the very least ditch the stupid plate and Chevy logos and just use a crown
Those are obviously beautiful, but I've always wished they would run with a modernized version of these:
Kings29.png

There's plenty of yellow/gold in the league already, and I've always thought purple/black/white/silver is an incredibly underrated colour scheme. I'd want to see some simplification of the design though, including an updated crown logo, removing the writing on the hem, changing the name and number font, and simplifying the outline of the shoulder yoke.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Those are obviously beautiful, but I've always wished they would run with a modernized version of these:
Kings29.png

There's plenty of yellow/gold in the league already, and I've always thought purple/black/white/silver is an incredibly underrated colour scheme. I'd want to see some simplification of the design though, including an updated crown logo, removing the writing on the hem, changing the name and number font, and simplifying the outline of the shoulder yoke.
The black jersey is very dark without any white. Should lose the shoulder colors IMO to clean it up.

Personally would go with either this crown logo or the more rounded one from the gold days. Don’t need to read Kings on the logo. Think the crown easily explains that this represents kings.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kings29.png

Yeah, I like these.

I would keep the silver in the crown and otherwise make the lettering white on the dark jerseys. It pops more.

Along with the other changes you suggested, I think they would have something there.

The Kings are one of those teams that makes me wish they switched it up every year like in soccer (or maybe every couple of years). They have a wealth of interesting elements to choose from and I don't really hate anything they've done.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4