Speculation: Ducks are the only team without a single UFA signing (Still need to hit Cap Floor)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not necessarily hating this due to the ridiculous money being thrown around, but odd to see only one team with no signing.

Who will be their first foray into this year's market?

I can think of a perfect $9.25 Million dollar Edmonton Oiler contract that will keep the Ducks over the cap floor for the next several years. Don't wait! Offer ends soon.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m sure they’d love teams to send along picks and prospects for bad contracts but generally you see one or two of those sorts of deals a season and they aren’t tremendous returns. Maybe they get a low first from a team and a couple of smaller deals to add an extra couple of thirds or something? Teams buy draft picks with retention so the prices are out there.

jani

Oct 15, 2023
Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Seravalli on the Ducks' situation yesterday:

"Let me tell you this, a lot of people have been all over the Anaheim Ducks, because they were talking about getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman. They were in on all the big fish, they offered more term and more money on all of them: Stamkos, Marchessault, all these players. They offered more than that, than what they signed for. And they were turned down."

22:15-22:40

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Montreal basically signed no one (Barre-Boulet doesn't count if you ask me), but I think most Habs fans are happy they didn't overpay for anyone. Stay the course.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Seravalli on the Ducks' situation yesterday:

"Let me tell you this, a lot of people have been all over the Anaheim Ducks, because they were talking about getting a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenseman. They were in on all the big fish, they offered more term and more money on all of them: Stamkos, Marchessault, all these players. They offered more than that, than what they signed for. And they were turned down."

22:15-22:40

Yep, that was my assumption. Who would want to play in Anaheim right now?

ocslug

Jul 3, 2024
Orange County, CA
They were in on all the big fish, they offered more term and more money on all of them: Stamkos, Marchessault, all these players. They offered more than that, than what they signed for. And they were turned down.

Verbeek probably offered 5 x 8.5 to Stamkos, but the combination of 6 years of losing, an elderly coach who isn't exactly player friendly, and high California taxes (worse than Montréal iirc) probably make the Ducks a bottom 5 franchise when it comes to player attraction.

The Killorn contract from last offseason was probably a better model for what the team should do. SJ basically did this with Toffoli. Not that these players are similar, just that they're middle six guys who you can pry with a mid-range overpay. Verbeek might be shooting too high, too early, but I do appreciate the team trying.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Might as well wait for the "future considerations" cap dump trades. Washington's going to likely need to dump cap, same with Vegas, Toronto and Edmonton (and surprisingly Nashville might after their big splurge). If their basement buddies Chicago and SJ are ready to win, it might be Easy Street to another early pick, and if they're stuck there in purgatory, might as well make the most of it and get assets from other teams to round out your roster. (If PLD pisses Washington off, maybe they'll have another $8.5 million coming their way? Then bada bing, bada boom).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ducks have already been out of the playoffs for 6 years.
Looking at the state of the their roster, 10 years seems pretty probable.
Right cause this pre-McDavid draft roster was really on the fast track to success.
1000062006.jpg

Let's be real. If today's Edmonton team didn't have McDavid and had a more average 1C instead with Drai, they are more than likely a playoff bubble team at best.

The Ducks haven't had a single first overall pick in their entire history, much less a generational talent as a draft pick. They're going to have to take a different approach to build around their youth core.

I may not be pleased that the Ducks didn't grab any veteran talent out of FA that will help take the load off the kids and get the team closer to the playoffs, but they weren't going to build a contender for themselves by doing what Nashville did either. At some point, Anaheim will have an excess of young talent that they'll have to leverage in trades for roster help. There's no telling how that is gonna go down as of today. So the expectation that Anaheim is going to be awful for another ten years is really sourced from nothing but baseless speculation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Verbeek probably offered 5 x 8.5 to Stamkos, but the combination of 6 years of losing, an elderly coach who isn't exactly player friendly, and high California taxes (worse than Montréal iirc) probably make the Ducks a bottom 5 franchise when it comes to player attraction.

The Killorn contract from last offseason was probably a better model for what the team should do. SJ basically did this with Toffoli. Not that these players are similar, just that they're middle six guys who you can pry with a mid-range overpay. Verbeek might be shooting too high, too early, but I do appreciate the team trying.
They could go that Killorn route again. But, better to actually get better term than 4 years with MacTavish and Lacombe due up for new deals in 2025 while the rest of the kids Gauthier, Carlsson, Zell, Mint are due up in 2026. No clue yet whether they'd try to go term or bridge. Most right now, bridge, but never know.

I wouldn't think they are in need of more draft capital. During their 6 years out of PO from 2019 to 2024, they got extra firsts by taking on Backes, trading Lindholm and Henrique. Also added 2nds from Col for Manson, Pitt for Rackell, and a pair of 2nds from Bos for Lindholm. They should be well stocked now.

With MNTC in places for a lot of vets, would they waive them to do the final 1 or 2 years of their remaining contract in Ana? For those who were born and raised in the East and played only in the East, I doubt many would waive to go to Ana. Longer travel, so less time with Kids for these 30 somethings.

Reactions: ocslug

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I may not be pleased that the Ducks didn't grab any veteran talent out of FA that will help take the load off the kids and get the team closer to the playoffs, but they weren't going to build a contender for themselves by doing what Nashville did either. At some point, Anaheim will have an excess of young talent that they'll have to leverage in trades for roster help. There's no telling how that is gonna go down as of today. So the expectation that Anaheim is going to be awful for another ten years is really sourced from nothing but baseless speculation.
It might get to 10 total, not another 10. Everything is based upon how well these kids develop. So, question is what is Ana and Verbeek going to do to help them get to their full potential? Right now, don't see them making the PO in the next 2 seasons, so it should get to 8 years out of the PO for the Ducks.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It might get to 10 total, not another 10. Everything is based upon how well these kids develop. So, question is what is Ana and Verbeek going to do to help them get to their full potential? Right now, don't see them making the PO in the next 2 seasons, so it should get to 8 years out of the PO for the Ducks.
Fair enough and if that's what @Bank Shot meant, then apologies. Certainly not what the other Oilers fan meant.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Right cause this pre-McDavid draft roster was really on the fast track to success.
View attachment 891833

Let's be real. If today's Edmonton team didn't have McDavid and had a more average 1C instead with Drai, they are more than likely a playoff bubble team at best.

The Ducks haven't had a single first overall pick in their entire history, much less a generational talent as a draft pick. They're going to have to take a different approach to build around their youth core.

Is the argument that a roster with Eberle, Hall, RNH, Schultz, Klefbom, Perron, Petry and Draisaitl, all of whom were 27 or under, was nothing? McDavid definitely changed the trajectory of Edmonton and he's the biggest reason they became relevant, but the takeaway from that list is that its truly mind boggling that they made the playoffs once in his first 4 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad