Post-Game Talk: duck @ RANGER

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stars

• Mika Zibanejad

• Chris Kreider

• Kaapo Kakko

• Artemi Panarin

• Frank Vatrano

• Alexis Lafreniere

• Sammy Blais

• Filip Clit

• Barclay Goodrow

• Ryan Reavo

• Dryden Hunts

• Jimmithy Vesey

• Adam Fux

• Ryan Lindgren

• Jacob Tuba

• K’Andre Miller

• Braden Schneider

• Zac Jones

• Igor Shesterkin

Results are only viewable after voting.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Fox gets it here.
Wins are great, but focus on the complete game. Lots to be hopeful for though.
Screenshot_20221018-013952.png

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That was a looong time ago, so it's not so clear in my head, but the PP ice time among forwards was a lot more spread out iirc. You could see any and/or all of Messier/Graves/Gartner/Amonte/Kovalev/Nemchinov/Larmer/Tikkanen on the PP.

Also keep in mind that the D pairing of Leetch-Zubov had 102 reg season PP points combined.
Leetch was what we all know him to be , but when you think of zubov you have to remember he was actually sent to Binghamton at the start of that season and then led the team is reg season points. It gets lost just how good he was that year. He had 89pts in 78 games and was chain smoking between every period of play. That trade will forever haunt the franchise but Smith was so worried zubov would crater bc of his bad off ice habits. What an incredible ride that season was. You are correct about the more even distribution of pp time as well, except for the defensemen.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I'm going to sleep or I'd expand more on this reply, but Kovalev was both dipsy do AND bull in a china shop. There were only a handful of guys in the league harder to knock off the puck than he was. One was Lemieux, one was Jagr & another was Lindros. There might've been a handful of others, but my brain is mush.

As far as the power play comparison, that team had Leetch & Zubov...not comparable at all. Plus the different era's & the goalie equipment makes it a non-starter. Both were/are equally glorious to watch, however.
Actually this is accurate. Kovy was an absolute bull. Just not a consistent one. But point remains those kinds of players with elite hands, vision and hard to knock off puck at the nhl level are a rare valuable bread.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
The mistakes didn't really even come in their own end.

Goal 1 - Weird borderline offsides play led to Anaheim possession. Lindgren sets a bit of a screen but this was a shot that Igor should have had. This was weird, kind of unlucky, but ultimately Igor should have had it.

Goal 2 - Odd man rush the other way, Kreider for what ever reason decides to try to pick up a guy who was already marked leading to Zegras being able to get a breakaway. If Kreider makes a straight line for Zegras instead of catching up with who ever passed the puck to him and gliding through the NZ, this goal probably never happens (My money would be on Kreider catching Zegras.)

Goal 3 - Don't ask me what Lindgren was doing on the rush up ice before turning it over... I don't know and neither does anyone else.

Goal 4 - Forget how this one got started, but Igor gets too aggressive coming out of his net on a broken play off the rush and Laf is late picking up his guy.

Lots of unnecessary risks were taken in this game and a ton of them came in the 3rd. Miller in parcitular was pinching like the team was down by 3 instead of up by 3. I get that the message was probably to not back up and let them back in it, but there needs to be some control to your chaos, this was just chaos which led to them... well not getting back into it, but making things closer than they actually were (this was a 10-2 game that some how ended up 6-4.)

The lack of focus on the details is something they'll need to iron out.
Granted not all in d-zone, but still mental lapses they need to clean up.I have full confidence they will

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Actually this is accurate. Kovy was an absolute bull. Just not a consistent one. But point remains those kinds of players with elite hands, vision and hard to knock off puck at the nhl level are a rare valuable bread.
Kovalev was a top 5 talent of the last 35 years. He had everything but a good head on his shoulders.

EDIT: I mean pure athletic and hockey ability.

Reactions: egelband

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I liked this win - Shesty had an off day and we still pinched it.

The scoreline flattered the Ducks.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I don't know what it is but Trocheck is really struggling with our 'system' defensively. He misses coverage fairly often... the line is giving up a lot

hopefully it doesn't take too long to get things in order...
Joe brought this up on the broadcast a few games ago. He’s coming from a man on man system in Carolina and is now playing a “soft zone” which requires more read and reaction type play. I’m sure he’s just processing the coverage a slight step slower but I could not be less worried.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Blais I thought has one of his better games as a Ranger.
It was one of his only games as a Ranger period.

He's an effective forechecker, wish he had more ability to finish though.

mas0764 and GENESISPuck94 are worried these kids doing so well they are gonna block the next generation of kids down at the farm lol

Omg, Robertson isn't gonna get a fair shake. Hunter Skinner, oh no! What about Will Cullye??
On a serious note, there's no other forward prospects in the system that come close to Laf and Kakko.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Can someone who remembers 94 compare this current PP which I think is better than anything we've had in decades (the personnel is even better than last year as Trochek>Strome) to the PP in 94 which I believe was #1 in the league that year?

89-90 was better. 103 pp goals scored, but both of those years 89-90 & 93-94 (96 goals) had pp rates of better than 23%

Thing is, last year, Rangers only had 218 opportunities where as both 89-90 and 93-94 both had 400+ opportunities

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
We don't even talk about Adam Fox anymore. Anyone notice that? He doesn't need to carry any offensive load now.

And yet he still had three assists.

It’s saying something that he’s like the fourth most interesting young under 25 stud we have so that we never talk about him.

bunch of jealous cucks on the main boards. This team is a wagon.

What kind of nonsense are they saying? Be specific

Haha

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Think the generational neck will need to come to acceptance with a bottom six role when he returns.

He should be on the third line and with Chytil on it, that line should be a third top 9 scoring line. It should not be imagined or constructed as a checking line. If so he will be fine on it.

Wear out the enemy with waves of scoring lines.

mas0764 and GENESISPuck94 are worried these kids doing so well they are gonna block the next generation of kids down at the farm lol

Omg, Robertson isn't gonna get a fair shake. Hunter Skinner, oh no! What about Will Cullye??

Uh…. ok.

My latest worry will be centered around the fact that after Othmann and Robertson we really don’t have much if any legit NHL talent in our pipeline, it needs restocking.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
My latest worry will be centered around the fact that after Othmann and Robertson we really don’t have much if any legit NHL talent in our pipeline, it needs restocking.
Win the cup in the next 3 years and let those worries wash away, like the back splash in a 7-11 bathroom getting powerwashed by a dude in a hazmat suit.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Seeing Hank on the postgame just reminds me how we never had anyone like Panarin or Mika or fox with Hank during those contender windows. We never had a team back then that generated chances like this team, let alone a PP that could generate even half as many chances as this team does. If only the timing were better and we just had one of those guys back then we’d have multiple cups. Ugh.
Can Hank come out of retirement and instead of getting paid he donates $1 million towards salary cap. We get him a few games here and there then he sneaks onto the Cup.

I am literally in Vietnam right now and I can tell you that it was all positive this morning.
Were you able to find a bar?

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I hear what you're saying, but I also am curious what the stats were at the start of last year. This roster should be able to walk over half the league with its eyes closed simply because of the skill that it has, especially in games played in the very beginning of the year. Skill trump's structure in the beginning of every season. Structures don't usually come into place until about 10-15 games in. That's just why I'm not doing cartwheels right now because they're beating either non playoff teams or teams that are struggling terribly to start the year. I'm not saying the rangers aren't good, I'm just being guarded from putting the cart before the horse and losing perspective of just how dominant skill is in the start of the season. Trust me, I want nothing more than to watch this team become dominant, of all, and win a cup
per Natural Stat trick, we had 49% CF at 5 on 5 after the first four games. This year it's 55%

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
He's an effective forechecker, wish he had more ability to finish though.
His best value besides forechecking/hitting will be driving to the net and giving PP1 plenty of opportunities. I think him and Chytil will be a lot for other 3rd lines to handle and draw key PPs.

He should be on the third line and with Chytil on it, that line should be a third top 9 scoring line. It should not be imagined or constructed as a checking line. If so he will be fine on it.

Wear out the enemy with waves of scoring lines.
Then late in games slide up Vesey and Goodrow with Chytil to close it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad