Confirmed with Link: Duchene to CBJ

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
If Duchene doesn't walk, it's a good deal. 10-20 OA picks are often a crapshoot. I would guess there is at least some understanding of whether Matt intends to resign. He is not an ambitious guy like Bread, which is a positive (may be more comfortable in less spotlight) and negative (he's not as driven, IMO, as a player). He could be a very good piece on a very good Columbus team.

If all three of Panarin, Bob and Duchene walk... well, that's a different story.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
for real though who tf are these prospects?
Both smallish, skilled guys. Davidsson is a fast skater with a wicked shot, Abramov is a magician with the puck. Question is how their games will translate to the NHL, both might be too small/not strong enough. Still, high upside on both and a pretty high floor in Davidsson’s case.

excaliber

Mar 30, 2018
The Blue Jackets are in a bit of a pickle right now. Two firsts for Matt Duchene if he signs there. This season to date has been Duchene's best. He's not ever really been that productive to go along with his -23 and -34 seasons. I would not have given up what they did for him.

It appears that Jarmo is trying to win now? If so there is no way you can let Panarin go now. Adding Duchene and losing Panarin is a big -
Things sure got interesting.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think it is a wise move provided it wasn't made purely out of desperation.

It sounds like they are trying to transition from being built around defense and goal to being built around defense and center... which is much more effective.

Reactions: Halfboard

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
I love this trade. If I were the Senators I would have insisted on Bemstrom over Abramov. To think we didn't give up Gavrikov, Bemstrom, or Foudy and got a #1 center is a testament to Jarmo's skills. The market for Panarin just went through the roof too.

Reactions: Gagnefan924

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
We traded a 1st round pick (hopefully in the 20's), Abramov (a 3rd round pick), and Davidsson (a 6th round pick) for a first line center. How can anyone be mad?

Also, we were a franchise for a long time that didn't have a first line center or a #1 defenseman. Now, we have two first line centers and at least one #1 defenseman. Also, the average age of the three is 24 years old.

Finally, this allows us to not rush Foudy and play him at LW/RW (if he is better there) if we can sign Duchene to a new contract.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Happy for CBJ as a Pens fan.

Duchene is a RyJo type that you guys needed. Not a # 1 center on every team, but for a team built from the D out he’ll be great for you guys.

Hope he resigns, sucks how Panarin and Bob are messing with the stability of the CBJ franchise (I get it, just have a soft spot for the Jackets).

Definitely be rooting for you all in the playoffs outside of the fart muncher that is Torts.

Also, f*** Jack Johnson.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
So the Jackets keep their top prospects (Foudy, Gavrikov, Merzlikins, Bemstrom) and sacrifice two solid prospects and potentially two firsts for a excellent first line player.

Hats off to Jarmo here. Now get him signed

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
My ONLY concern with this is if we sign Duchene and SUCK in 2020. It kinda happened to OTT when Duchene went there and that pick is going to be Hughes probably. Other than that, I like the move. We should be trying to add Dzingle if we're going for it.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Quite a bit for Duchene IMO. I mean if he re-signs it might make a little more sense if the team loses Panarin, but that's still quite a haul, with or without the conditional 1st rounder.

How is that quite a haul for a first line center?

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
Happy for CBJ as a Pens fan.

Duchene is a RyJo type that you guys needed. Not a # 1 center on every team, but for a team built from the D out he’ll be great for you guys.

Hope he resigns, sucks how Panarin and Bob are messing with the stability of the CBJ franchise (I get it, just have a soft spot for the Jackets).

Definitely be rooting for you all in the playoffs outside of the fart muncher that is Torts.

Also, **** Jack Johnson.
I am a Lightning fan, and I could not agree with you more.

Reactions: Bobcat110

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If Duchene doesn't walk, it's a good deal. 10-20 OA picks are often a crapshoot. I would guess there is at least some understanding of whether Matt intends to resign. He is not an ambitious guy like Bread, which is a positive (may be more comfortable in less spotlight) and negative (he's not as driven, IMO, as a player). He could be a very good piece on a very good Columbus team.

If all three of Panarin, Bob and Duchene walk... well, that's a different story.

It is a great deal if we sign Duchene to a new contract. It is already a good deal.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Young team, keeps its top prospects and adds a top end center who is under 30 himself. I do like Abramov but I dont see how you cant be excited about the deal. If Duchene doesnt sign it will hurt but how can you not applaud Jarmo for trying to make the team better.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Take your pick. The team has some nice options all of a sudden:

Panarin - Duchene - Atkinson
Foligno - Dubois - Anderson
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand

Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson
Wennberg - Duchene - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson

Panarin - Dubois - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Duchene - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Anderson

Panarin - Dubois -Bjorkstrand
Wennberg - Duchene - Atkinson
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson

My favorites are the last couple options. Excited to see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad