Friedman: Duchene/Landeskog for Top-pairing Defenceman in Offseason

Weast

May 16, 2011
I think that the Avs need a goal scoring winger more than a defenceman, which coincidently, Landeskog and Duchene both are so...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens have forward depth to spare and with Schultz looking like a guy the Pens may want to protect, I'd be down to ship one of Maatta/Dumoulin out if it meant a high end player was coming back.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Pens have forward depth to spare and with Schultz looking like a guy the Pens may want to protect, I'd be down to ship one of Maatta/Dumoulin out if it meant a high end player was coming back.

If it were around one of those two it'd require some significant pieces added.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

I certainly hope you aren't referring to Duchene or Landeskog, because that is laughably not close.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If it were around one of those two it'd require some significant pieces added.

Sheary's been very good this season. At the very least he can provide you legitimate depth scoring from your 3rd line. He's also not eligible for the expansion draft.

Jake Guentzel is another guy who's looking like a guy who can step into any team's top 9 very soon, if not right now. C/LW versatility.

I'd be willing to add our 1st to lock down Sid's longterm LWer.

So something like Sheary/Guentzel+Maatta/Dumoulin+1st.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Looking at Colorado's roster I think they need defensemen and wingers BADLY, but I can't decide which is the more grave need.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Sheary's been very good this season. At the very least he can provide you legitimate depth scoring from your 3rd line. He's also not eligible for the expansion draft.

Jake Guentzel is another guy who's looking like a guy who can step into any team's top 9 very soon, if not right now. C/LW versatility.

I'd be willing to add our 1st to lock down Sid's longterm LWer.

So something like Sheary/Guentzel+Maatta/Dumoulin+1st.

I can't really see a deal between Avs-Pens were it makes sense for both sides. If we deal Landeskog or Duchene we'd need at least a blue-chipper, plus more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I certainly hope you aren't referring to Duchene or Landeskog, because that is laughably not close.

Our best LW or top prospect, one of our two best LD and a 1st?

That's not exactly scraps, man.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Our best LW or top prospect, one of our two best LD and a 1st?

That's not exactly scraps, man.

Where they rank on your club is irrelevant. Olli Maatta isn't a great skater, which is the exact same issue the Avs have with half of their club. He has had severe injury issues, and now has 1 point in 26 games played. He's getting over 4 million for that, until 2022. Dumoulin is having a rough year. He has not solidified himself as a top four defensman in this league yet, and certainly not a top pairing defensman. 44 good games last year + playoffs on a ridiculous Pittsburgh club does not mean he would be anything approaching decent on a miserable Avs team. Now maybe he'll turn it right around, but no, neither he, nor Maatta, are a centrepiece for any deal whatsoever. Trying to suggest they are, when the pieces Landeskog and Duchene were made available for, according to Friedman, were Hampus Lindholm and Jacoub Trouba, is an insult. No, compared to what is being offered, and what the Avs want, they are scraps, man. The Avs are not looking for some secondary piece deal that the Pens can scrabble together. One defensman they could spare, one vastly inferior forward being offered up, one late first rounder...meh. Nice try.

Next up I'll probably be offered Pouliot, and get told he's a "top prospect?"

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Anaheim isn't trading you Lindholm. Or at least they shouldn't. He's on a different tier in value.

And if you think Trouba is more valuable than Sheary, Maatta/Dumoulin and a 1st, fair enough. Doesn't really make much sense when you already have two top 4 RD in Barrie and Johnson.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
This just smells Canucks. Gudbranson+5th at the draft for Landeskog+Avs 1st 2018

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The Avalanche core strikes me as being awfully young for a full rebuild but trading either one or both of these two for established players at this point also seems like an awful waste.

Why not just hang on to the young guys for now and move the older guys at the deadline?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The Avalanche core strikes me as being awfully young for a full rebuild but trading either one or both of these two for established players at this point seems like an awful waste.

I think there's very little chance of a full rebuild, if anything it could potentially be similar to what Edmonton just did.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The Avalanche core strikes me as being awfully young for a full rebuild but trading either one or both of these two for established players at this point also seems like an awful waste.

Why not just hang on to the young guys for now and move the older guys at the deadline?

That is most likely the plan.

If any trade happens involving the core it will be next summer. Unless a perfect trade happens to take shape(Which may happen right now as MTL could really use a guy like Duchene, even before the injuries he fit a need for them).

Otherwise, if the Avs were to deal Duchene or Landeskog right now they'd be getting $0.75 on the dollar so to speak as it's so much harder for teams to make significant trades like that and take on lots of cap during the season. In the summer it's an easier trade to make and more suitors would present themselves for the Avs to deal with.

What most likely happens, is they stay status quo until the deadline. They move Bourque, Tyutin, and Iginla all for picks. They attempt to move Beauchemin and Mitchell for picks as well. And perhaps explore moving a goalie(Likely Varlamov) if the market is any better then it is right now.

Then they bring up the young guys. Compher, Bigras, and Greer and see what this team can do with the current core and future core all playing together. If they play well down the stretch and go on a good streak or show great progress, maybe they decide this core is still capable of winning once it gets the proper supporting pieces and dont make any moves.

Or, they wait until the summer and find the perfect trade that makes sense for the Avs. Likely after the draft where we add a Top 5 pick and high end player, who would change the complexity of this team and would likely change the needs for that big off-season trade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Canucks offer any one of their dmans for Duchene.

Would have to be Juolevi with a very significant + added.

Sergachev + 1st + Scherbak + Cap dump(Likely DD) for Duchene + Soderberg has pretty much been unanimously agreed upon by both fan bases at this point.

The Avs had Sergachev as the #1D in the draft last year so they value him higher then Juolevi despite draft positions. Which means Vancouver would likely be looking at having to at least match that offer above and probably have to top it for a trade to happen.

Juolevi + Boeser would be the minimum asking point I think from the Avs, as that's probably equal to Sergachev + Scherbak from the Avs perspective. So you'd be looking at another small piece added on.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Would have to be Juolevi with a very significant + added.

Sergachev + 1st + Scherbak + Cap dump(Likely DD) for Duchene + Soderberg has pretty much been unanimously agreed upon by both fan bases at this point.

The Avs had Sergachev as the #1D in the draft last year so they value him higher then Juolevi despite draft positions. Which means Vancouver would likely be looking at having to at least match that offer above and probably have to top it for a trade to happen.

Juolevi + Boeser would be the minimum asking point I think from the Avs, as that's probably equal to Sergachev + Scherbak from the Avs perspective. So you'd be looking at another small piece added on.

well... apparently they are asking for a top pairing dman right? Tanev and Edler are their top pairing dman, based on ice time, those 2 dominate it, Edler runs the offence, Tanev is stable, not sure why you guys want Juolevi who is not even a top pairing dman. Tanev is 2 years older,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad