Dubois

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Beginning to think the same thing. Was it all a conspiracy to steal Uncle Phil's money?

Like in that movie Heat (1995). Armed robbers steal bearer bonds, sell the bearer bonds back to the guy who they stole them from and he collects 100% on the insurance.

Brisson simply collects money once again on PLD's next contract, maybe with the Bruins, Canadians, Sharks, Utah, whomever. If teams are willing to trade for him, they are willing to sign him. The beauty of the scheme is they got all that money from playing just 1 season.
“The Plan 2.0” probably involves clearing salary this year then poaching rising star Brendan Brisson from Vegas with a $6 million offer sheet in summer 2025.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Thanks! So essentially we should all hope for short series from now on, if a buyout is actually on the table. If the finals happen too late you are out of luck and have to pay twice as much.
No way will the execute the 2/3 buyout.. they could do much better w a trade and retention or take on a more useful shitty contract

Reactions: GameNight

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I listened to that whole Marek v. Wyshynski piece.

So basically PLD has had the same issues with every team going all the way to back to junior.

Winnipeg viewed getting rid of Dubois as "addition by subtraction". Wyshyniski added that he "knows for a fact" that PLD was not well liked in the room.

Even PLD critics have said that Dubois seems like a nice guy, I guess that's not even true.

Cheveldayoff must've been thrilled that LA was willing to give up so much for a guy he just wanted to get rid of. It really makes LA look stupid.

Ironically, we're now in the same position the Jets were in. Looking for a greater fool to dump PLD on.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Mike Richards had more heart, skill, and work ethic in his pinky than PLD has in his entire body.

I'm saying that PLD is Blake's Richards from a cap management aspect. Lombardi should have used his compliance buyout on Richards, a player that was clearly showing rapid decline.

Blake should have never traded and signed a player that was an on/off ice problem everywhere he has played.

Now the Kings franchise will be paying for Blakes mistake for the next 7-14 years.
I understand the point you were trying to make. I just don’t think PLD earned the right for any comparison with Richards regardless of the context. :D

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Winnipeg viewed getting rid of Dubois as "addition by subtraction". Wyshyniski added that he "knows for a fact" that PLD was not well liked in the room.

Even PLD critics have said that Dubois seems like a nice guy, I guess that's not even true.
He can be nice and still be disliked by teammates if he makes everyone else's job harder.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I understand the point you were trying to make. I just don’t think PLD earned the right for any comparison with Richards regardless of the context. :D
Absolutely.

Breaking down into a has-been, is immeasurably better than being an overpaid never-was.

PLD has risen to the top of the shit pile that is my list of least favorite Kings of all time.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Absolutely.

Breaking down into a has-been, is immeasurably better than being an overpaid never-was.

PLD has risen to the top of the shit pile that is my list of least favorite Kings of all time.
You gotta give him some credit though. It's not often someone can bullshit their way to 50+ million dollars by age 26 and get away with it.

Talk about a masterclass.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You gotta give him some credit though. It's not often someone can bullshit their way to 50+ million dollars by age 26 and get away with it.

Talk about a masterclass.
He is the poster child for “Well, look how big he is, we better pay the guy”

Dustin Penner 2.0, except without the clutch WCF clinching goal to fondly remember him by.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well

if they don't buy him out

they'd better at least move him to wing.

Minimize the damage there at least, and he's been relatively effective there in the past

and just read he was actually a W in junior and just has been forced into C along the way....just about the most Kings thing ever right? Draft a bunch of Cs and move them to W...trade for a W and force him into C.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Well

Minimize the damage there at least, and he's been relatively effective there in the past

and just read he was actually a W in junior and just has been forced into C along the way....just about the most Kings thing ever right? Draft a bunch of Cs and move them to W...trade for a W and force him into C.
Did they actually watch tape and believe PLD was a center? Low motor, bad defensive instincts, not a play maker, below avg on faceoffs... what were they smoking? Everything about this org defies common sense.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Well

Starting to look/seem like this may be our best option. We can hold out hope for a PLD buyout or a miracle trade that doesn't totally screw us over while getting rid of the player/contract... But more likely than not we're probably stuck with him for at least a couple more seasons.

If that's the case I completely agree - move him to wing and I'll add that they should play him in a top 6 role at the very least. Ideally on the 1st line tbh (if you're going to pay a guy like a 1st line player you may as well deploy him as a 1st line player and hope you can get as much as you can out of him).

My vote would be something like this:
1st line: PLD - Byfield - Kempe
  • PLD's weaknesses could be offset by Byfield & Kempe's strengths (obviously that's not ideal to begin with but it could result in getting a lot more production out of PL)
  • Byfield and Kempe drive the bus - PLD gets to school with his helmet on
2nd line: Fiala - Kopitar - Kaliyev/Fagemo
  • Fiala and Kopitar have shown solid chemistry on the powerplay together and have surprisingly good advanced stats together 5 on 5 - Let Kopitar play defense, let Fiala play offense, and let Kaliyev or Fagemo reap the benefits of playing with two very good players

Problem is, this top 6 doesn't "work" with the current Kings philosophy / structure and I doubt we see it unless there's an organizational shift (coaching/GM change).

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Personally, my best case scenario involves a wood chipper.
giphy.gif (500×276) | Fargo wood chipper, Fargo, Interesting gif

Reactions: Bandit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad