Post-Game Talk: Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Very true.
The other thing I have noticed is that the team insists on carrying the puck over the blue line which more often than not results in a turnover. I have a hard time believing this is coaching because its just so obvious. I see this as a product of too many stubborn young players being supported by veterans like Smyth. A player who has clearly lost a step and also doesn't have the smarts to try and compensate.
This is a personnel issue...if this team had the right mix of veterans and young players this issue and many other issues would resolve themselves.

"If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. "

The young players are still learning the game. Eventually they'll be more judicious in their attempts to dangle defensemen.

In a strange way I think they will benefit in the long run from the lack of veteran leadership they've been exposed to. They are skilled enough to not get run out of the building during their baby steps and, as Twain eluded to in the above quote, experience is the best teacher.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll take the win and I'll even go as far as to cut them some slack because it was a back to back game, but there is a lot of work to go.

Everyone that rags on Horcoff and Belanger need to realize just how important those faceoff wins are. Don't think it's any surprise that we are 2/22 on the PP since Horcoff is out, the 20+ seconds we are losing every time we loss the puck is killing us.

On the bright side, Bulin looks like he can be a backup and Dubnyk is diffently giving us that chance to be in every game. Schultz is getting better every game and the inconsistent Gagner only had a one game point scoring lapse.

Ogopogo*

It was nice to finally see it, but i feel MPS has been converted. He's been playing like a defensive minded forward this season.

Please tell me you aren't the same Chooch that terrorized these boards a few years ago.

Ogopogo*

Katz & Co want a Stanley Cup team in Edmonton and are prepared to go as long as it takes to get one with this slow and steady rebuild strategy... problem is do they have a plan B if that doesn't work out and they still aren't close to looking like a contender at the end of that 4-6 year rebuild window?

If you have a plan B it means you aren't committed to plan A.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Funny you say that because I am an Intuit or in short a visual thinker , I literally see all my thoughts in a running 3D type of video. It is a real pain to write enough words to describe what I see in realtime...

You must live in constant pain, then. Or is that just the rest of us?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I thought it was interesting that prior to the game, Krueger said they need to get more shots on net.

Then PRV says "we still didn't get enough shots on net".

So what are we supposed to take from that when a coach is telling players to shoot and they're not shooting? :help:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hate Ryan Smyth so much right now. I hope he's benched on Tuesday. His poor, over the hill playing and terrible attitude is just killing us right now. Three ridiculously stupid penalties today could have cost us a game we had to win. We were so excited to have him come back and he's just been awful since his hot start last week.

Liked Fistric today, he's not great.but he has to be in the lineup for this team right now while we're not scoring many goals.

You HATE Ryan Smyth? Seriously? What has he ever done to you? When my kids were 5 years old, they used to say stuff like that.:laugh:

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
“Puck possession to me is a fancy way of saying they're working and jumping harder than you are".
- Mike Babcock

I have another hypothesis:

Blocking shots means you don't have possession of the puck. So while the Oilers are 3rd in the league for Blocked shots, that's because we NEVER HAVE THE PUCK.

We never have the puck because we're terrible at face offs.

I also think we get injured more because we never have the puck, chasing it into dangerous areas, or blocking shots. If we had the puck, we wouldn't be chasing it, or blocking shots! (astounding realization INO RITE?)

And of course, because we never have the puck; we lose.

The Oilers play a puck possession game, without ever having the puck; because we lose faceoffs, and give it away, and get injured trying to regain possession.

Last edited:

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
“Puck possession to me is a fancy way of saying they're working and jumping harder than you are".
- Mike Babcock

Blocking shots means you don't have possession of the puck. So while the Oilers are 3rd in the league for Blocked shots, that's because we NEVER HAVE THE PUCK.

I also think we get injured more because we never have the puck, chasing it into dangerous areas, or blocking shots. If we had the puck, we wouldn't be chasing it, or blocking shots! (astounding realization INO RITE?)

And of course, we lose more because we never have the puck; we lose.

The Oilers play a puck possession game, without ever having the puck; because we lose faceoffs, and give it away, and get injured trying to regain possession.

they have possession - they just do really stupid or poor things with the puck most of the time.

i FF'd most of the DVR game but on one cycle i seen Eberle and RNH have total control and all it took to lose the zone was one of them trying to do some fancy garbage pass to each other. the pass was off target and too far towards the middle of the ice - boom, cycle destroyed. something more simple and calculated would have done the job.

there's just way too much fancy garbage on this team. its like an AND1 basketball team trying to win hockey games. too much dribbling, not enough fundamentals.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Absolutely brutal game; thank you Devan Dubnyk for bailing out the team for about the 8th time this season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
they have possession - they just do really stupid or poor things with the puck most of the time.

i FF'd most of the DVR game but on one cycle i seen Eberle and RNH have total control and all it took to lose the zone was one of them trying to do some fancy garbage pass to each other. the pass was off target and too far towards the middle of the ice - boom, cycle destroyed. something more simple and calculated would have done the job.

there's just way too much fancy garbage on this team. its like an AND1 basketball team trying to win hockey games. too much dribbling, not enough fundamentals.

The memory of last game, was the 2on1 Hall had with Gagner.

Gagner's stick was on the ice, and Hall saucered a pass TO HIS FACE.

:/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gally is already there at 18!!! RNH is a full year older and has a TON of work to do. I mean A TON!!!
With his shoulder problems, he might never be able to work out as he should to fill out his frame. Who knows.
Gally is already there. Done. Ready for the NHL game, just has to learn it.

Seriously with this? Galchenyuk hasn't done **** at the NHL level, who cares that he's heavier? RNH would have been a run away Calder winner if he wasn't injured. He has had a slump to start his sophomore season (although he has improved his defense a lot) and you want to just trade him off for Galchenyuk because he's bigger? Just ridiculous.
Many great players throughout history weren't built like tanks, why does RNH have to be built like a tank to be a great player? In fact, most of the all time greats were skinny kids coming into the NHL. Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic and in this generation. Datsyuk, Kane. I could go on and on.

He is going to have a great career and in all likelihood better than Galchenyuk. Players with his hockey sense come around very rarely. I have no doubts that he is going to be a very VERY special player, he just needs to get that shoulder fixed which i believe is still limiting him. Shame on those ready to give up on him now because he has hit a rough patch early in his career. Just ridiculous.

However, i will say that i wonder what the Oilers would have done if Galchenyuk was healthy and played well in his draft year. I have always been a fan of him and thought that he would the ideal compliment (not replacement) for RNH. Ah well, Yakupov will be a great player in his own rite.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
- Mike Babcock

And of course, because we never have the puck; we lose.

Good post except that the whole team throws pucks away like confetti. One man rushes, offsides, poor dumps, losing pucks bad passes, etc.
Plus a stubborn refusal to play a cycle game. Take the open ice thats there, make the pass thats there, we're always trying to force passes through.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Think about it this way tho, You guys are playing pretty awful recently, but you are still 7th, Imagine when you guys start playing well?.

Could make a push for a playoff spot.

A goaltender is apart of the team, so watching dubnyk play well is reassuring for oiler fans, and counts just as much as Schneider or luongo shutting down the door.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Think about it this way tho, You guys are playing pretty awful recently, but you are still 7th, Imagine when you guys start playing well?.

Could make a push for a playoff spot.

A goaltender is apart of the team, so watching dubnyk play well is reassuring for oiler fans, and counts just as much as Schneider or luongo shutting down the door.

The problem is that the team has to play much better just to stay where we are because as much as I like Dubnyk, he is not going to stay at this level for the whole season.

Look at last year, we had unconscious tending from Khabi for about the 1st 12 games and were 9-3 or something like that. Once his play levelled off the team tanked.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
I hate Ryan Smyth so much right now. I hope he's benched on Tuesday. His poor, over the hill playing and terrible attitude is just killing us right now. Three ridiculously stupid penalties today could have cost us a game we had to win. We were so excited to have him come back and he's just been awful since his hot start last week.

Liked Fistric today, he's not great.but he has to be in the lineup for this team right now while we're not scoring many goals.

Wow! Extreme. He is struggling, but who isn't. You ever have a bad day or week at work? He will be ok on the wing 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad