Post-Game Talk: Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Speaking of made up on the spot rhetoric....

Nobody is comparing him to Crosby but the way people talk about him around here he's got an anvil for a head. Just trying to give some credit where its due.

I never said anyone did compare him to Crosby, I was merely asking a question to attain context to the point I was trying to get across. There's a difference.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
I honestly watched all 3 of those games and they deserved to lose all 3. Solid goaltending from Dubnyk/Khabi made those games closer than they should have been.

So having solid goaltending means you should have lost the game? There is no way we desever to lose against Dallas. They played pretty crappy. I think they got lucky to win. Mind you the Oilers were not amazing either but they in no way deserved to lose. I think they should have won the San Jose game. They played very well. The Detroit game was a toss up. I think if they had won it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't Burke basically threaten them to either make the deal or he'd sign him to an OS? I'm not a Kessel fan and thought it was a bad move, but I do give Burke credit for zeroing in on someone he wanted and then doing whatever it took to get him.

I think you're right. And Burke of course being the same guy that earlier went ballistic and into a year long hissy-fit when the Oilers signed Penner.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
If you asked Eberle I doubt he'd be happy so far with how he's played. He seems to take pride in getting into areas where he can efficiently snipe shots and that's not happening as much.

8% accuracy so far is making all those stat freaks seem like they will be right with his shooting pct unsustainability predictions.

He's obviously in a cold patch but he's on pace for just a 20 goal and 55 pt season over 82.. definitely a regression from what most expected... himself included very likely.
I'm worried about Hall and RNH's lack of goals but Eberle is a pretty streaky scorer. Once he scores one he scores five over the course of four games or something.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I never said anyone did compare him to Crosby, I was merely asking a question to attain context to the point I was trying to get across. There's a difference.

I pointed out two pretty specific examples showing he might know how to play the game and you jump straight to Crosby. Ehhh, sure thing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You'd have to overpay to get him. I don't know what kind of offers COL is getting right now, but my guess is they're being lowballed by GM's who recognize the Avs are in a position of weakness. I don't think the Oilers would have to go too far to be the best offer of the bunch. JMO.

You mean you wouldn't have to overpay, right?

I'd love to see a Gagner for ROR, and if they want a bit more to sweeten the pot, then yes, you do it within reason. You get some nastiness, size, physical play, no dropoff in scoring, improved defensive play by a ton, and a huge betterment in faceoffs. And all for about 1 mill or so more than you'd have to pay Gagner anyhow.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If you asked Eberle I doubt he'd be happy so far with how he's played. He seems to take pride in getting into areas where he can efficiently snipe shots and that's not happening as much.

8% accuracy so far is making all those stat freaks seem like they will be right with his shooting pct unsustainability predictions.

He's obviously in a cold patch but he's on pace for just a 20 goal and 55 pt season over 82.. definitely a regression from what most expected... himself included very likely.

Eberle's been taking more low percentage shots than I've ever seen him take. It's like they've convinced him to just toss it on goal instead of trying to make another play like he used to.

Although there have also been cases where it's exactly like his start last season, missing open nets and such.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Eberle's been taking more low percentage shots than I've ever seen him take. It's like they've convinced him to just toss it on goal instead of trying to make another play like he used to.

Although there have also been cases where it's exactly like his start last season, missing open nets and such.

I'm pretty sure he has lower shots per game right now then last year. It's probably just confidence and being frustrated so he's just trying to get an ugly one or something.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
You mean you wouldn't have to overpay, right?

I'd love to see a Gagner for ROR, and if they want a bit more to sweeten the pot, then yes, you do it within reason. You get some nastiness, size, physical play, no dropoff in scoring, improved defensive play by a ton, and a huge betterment in faceoffs. And all for about 1 mill or so more than you'd have to pay Gagner anyhow.
Yeah, overpay is the wrong word. More like you'd have to present the best offer to get him. The longer ROR stays in Russia the more I think it's likely he'll be traded. Unfortunately, I fully expect to wake up one day and find out another team got him, just like I do for every other player that gets traded that we could use on this team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, overpay is the wrong word. More like you'd have to present the best offer to get him. The longer ROR stays in Russia the more I think it's likely he'll be traded. Unfortunately, I fully expect to wake up one day and find out another team got him, just like I do for every other player that gets traded that we could use on this team.

Then that's Colorado's loss, especially if he ends up sucking elsewhere.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So having solid goaltending means you should have lost the game? There is no way we desever to lose against Dallas. They played pretty crappy. I think they got lucky to win. Mind you the Oilers were not amazing either but they in no way deserved to lose. I think they should have won the San Jose game. They played very well. The Detroit game was a toss up. I think if they had won it wouldn't have been a big deal.

I watched the Dallas game and of course it's subjective but I didn't think they deserved a win in that. The Oilers weren't as good on the dot... didn't outhit them... had more giveaways. Oilers outshot them by a single shot. If you watched the game though you'd have seen that Dallas was in the Oilers end more often. Stars had superior territorial advantage and just looked like they had more jump than the Oilers. Neither were great but Dallas had the edge.

Detroit I definitely think could have been 3 or 4 to 1 for the Wings. Khabi was the show in that one and it was pretty obvious to me that the Oilers were the inferior team.

SJ game... not sure how that could have been a win... outshot... less territorial possession (again) and Oil once again sucked on the dot.

Oilers got 2 pts in those 3 games... that's all they deserved.

There really haven't been many clear cut victories for the Oilers this season where they definitely looked a cut above their opponents... other than their goaltending standing out in most games as positives.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Thank goodness the 5 game skid is over.

Coincides with Horcoff being out, but that must be a coincidence.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
call me a negative prude, but wow. I have mini packs and season tickets. How can a sane fan get pumped up to watch this trash?

I hope it gets better. It's brutal. This win does nothing long term.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

That's not what he's doing at all. To me, it looks like he's over handling the puck, turning it over all the time.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
That's not what he's doing at all. To me, it looks like he's over handling the puck, turning it over all the time.
Yup. He had the perfect chance to shoot the puck during one of the powerplays, a clear shot, but instead he decided to take it in for one of those patented dangles and backhanders.

Oct 15, 2008
Didn't Burke basically threaten them to either make the deal or he'd sign him to an OS? I'm not a Kessel fan and thought it was a bad move, but I do give Burke credit for zeroing in on someone he wanted and then doing whatever it took to get him.

Do you give credit to Tambellini for zeroing in on Khabibulin?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Looks to me like the kids are used to having the extra time and space they had in the AHL, and are having trouble adjusting back to making decisions quickly, namely shooting the puck when they get that extra second.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I woukd be thrilled if we sign o rielly. Then we could trade gagner with no worries. Adds size and strenght. Pipe dream tho
Hall-O'Reilly-Eberle
Harti-NUG-Yakupov

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I have watched every game so far this season. A bunch in person.

This team is so disjointed, My biggest observation.

No strategy. No breakout. No nothing.

Half lazy. Useless veterans.

Blah

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Thank goodness the 5 game skid is over.

Coincides with Horcoff being out, but that must be a coincidence.

It is.

PK is fine

Goalscoring is just as poor with/without him

Faceoffs are not that much worse without him(if it's dipped at all).

Defensive efforts are about the same.

Really, haven't noticed any real change in the Oiler's effectiveness one way or another without him in the lineup. VV can skate around a few mins a game accomplishing very little just as effectively as Horcoff.

Kinda sad really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad