Post-Game Talk: Dubnyk wins 3-1, Oilers Still Missing.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I have watched every game so far this season. A bunch in person.

This team is so disjointed, My biggest observation.

No strategy. No breakout. No nothing.

Half lazy. Useless veterans.

Blah

Agreed. There seems to be no system whatsoever.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers didn't start the season out this poorly. I think that they outshot, out chanced, out hit and out face-offed the Canucks and the shots/chances ratios stayed strong through the LA game (despite the score the chances were actually pretty even in the first Sharks game too). The real warning signs started in the Phoenix game despite the team pulling out the win. They were still struggling to score 5x5 in that game and their powerplay started to look ineffective.

I dunno. Maybe better teams have their gameplans/strategies in place now or something.

EDIT: Actually the warning signs started in the third period of the first Colorado game.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I hate Ryan Smyth so much right now. I hope he's benched on Tuesday. His poor, over the hill playing and terrible attitude is just killing us right now. Three ridiculously stupid penalties today could have cost us a game we had to win. We were so excited to have him come back and he's just been awful since his hot start last week.

Liked Fistric today, he's not great.but he has to be in the lineup for this team right now while we're not scoring many goals.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
After watching the replay a few more times on tsn.ca, it seems pretty clear to me that Eberle contacted the puck above the crossbar on his waved off goal.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
After watching the replay a few more times on tsn.ca, it seems pretty clear to me that Eberle contacted the puck above the crossbar on his waved off goal.

They should have had a referee meeting and overturned it for no good reason anyways.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Awful defensive play by Gagner on Umberger, he tried but just didn't have the defensive smart to defend the forehand side and the middle, he was on the wrong side of the play. Umberger can never score if he's forced to turn towards the board on his backhand. Gagner did redeem himself with a great short hand assist.

Hemsky weak poke check on Umberger also didn't help Gagner when he could have close the door on Umberger if he actually use his body on the play. Interesting that Yakupov actually had a better defensive game today being away from Gagner and Hemsky.

Smyth has got to stop taking stupid penalty. Krueger should be telling Smyth he has used up his veteran's get out of jail card since he had 3 bad penalties in a game compare to him getting only one a game before today... Unacceptable for a veteran doing this to his own team like that every game. One more bad penalty and you're out.

Petry still looked shaky defensively and lack creativity offensively, but he has played better than the last few games. Potter actually played like a 7th d man today instead of a 9th d man, may be not playing with the 15th d man in Whitney, Potter can focus on his own issues than getting overwhelmed dealing with his own and Whitney's.

I would say the d shuffle by Krueger at least didn't hurt the team. Might not work long term, but may be it served a purpose of refreshing the 2nd/3rd d pair and get them refocused.

J Schultz defensive play stripping Dubinsky on the breakaway was the most spectacular defensive play in the game. Great recovery after losing the puck. Dubinsky is a pretty fast skater no less and he must be thinking how in the world could Schultz caught up to him and stripped him of the puck without taking a penalty or even touching him.

Definitely a gutsy effort by Belanger. He's also clutch on d zone faceoff at crucial moment like PK and late in the game.

Great game by Paajarvi and what a nice snipe. Worked hard, lots of energy and his speed made a difference.

RNH is just real good defensively for a 19 yrs old. There was one play late in 3rd that he finished his check real hard and knocked the bigger CBJ player off balance near the side board, and that's right when the other CBJ player cycled the puck back to his teammate that got knocked off balance by RNH and missed the puck. And we cleared the zone and got a decent rush out of it too.

Such an unselfish play on the empty netter too by RNH. Hasn't got a goal this yr and been struggling with his shot, and even already got past the red line, he still decided not to shoot but made a nice pass to set up Gagner. What a teammate.

BadMedicine*

When we move the puck out of our d-zone if we keep the three man wide exit then we need to have the middle man become Hall or a speedester and we need to have that middle man threaten a give and go with one of the wingmen at the blueline and then go for it straight down the middle full sprint, so we can leave a fast forward back to work this spearhaed right through the middle as the two wingmen collapse and fall back in case our headman loses the puck because he needs to be going full tilt down the middle intending to go all the way trying to draw a penalty as much as score, keeping his head up in the middle as well..

When we are gaining the o-zone we need to keep our first shots lower from ice level to knees, we are losing to many second shots because of our initial shot selections are angled to high, lets keep them down and go for the rebounds we are working so hard to get position on.

They are trying to clog the neutral zone and this is why we need to go for it right down the middle, using a give and go threat to open it up. We can stack players to beat the neutral zone congestion as well and relay the puck instead of making passes in the neutral zone and use legal picks to advance into the o-zone.

We need to shoot quicker , we are wayyyy to slow getting our shots off, we need to one-time it or redirect it much faster, we need that puck off our sticks at NHL speed, and lets see some attempts at shorthanded goals, face it when you go for it as long as you push the puck out over the blueline you win the battle and if you get an open lane even better but we really need to focus on greenlighting guys on the PK to go for it.

We are making good neutral zone transitions considering their numbers advantage, so keep it up, lets just see a faster shot release and more one-timers off of harder passes, we need to pass with more authority and speed the game up a little.

Posted on the GDT between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Watching Gagner make the proactive decision to be aggressive on the PK and then stack himself two deep with Magnus to enter the o-zone and then leave the puck for him was beautiful to see from a dynamic perspective, watching MPS release that shot in a one-time motion at NHL speed was also beautiful to watch he removed the goalie from the equation. Sometimes when you are a fan posting on the GDT you feel like a player and sometimes you fell like their moma2 when you give them dead on the money fan predictions like this baby was. The game itself was so lopsided shotwise it was pitiful, but at the end of the day we will take the 2 points and run. These lines looked good enough to try again. Man Mps-Gagner-Yakupov makes my hair stand on end with the way Magnus has matured this year-- he has arrived 100%, now its just a matter of consistancy which I believe he has shown.

Dubby was staying on his feet a lot more to challenge that mid range wrister and it looked great Freddy Chabot must be working hard with him because that was an excellent adjustment by Dubby.

Nice way to start a seven game winning streak which is exactly what we need to nail down 6th place this year. How about that Sam Gagner, he has evolved as MPS has and they looked natural together with excellent chemistry. I am telling you i will be rubbing it in to Krueger for years when he finally decides to save his season and return Gagner and Yakupov to the 2nd line with MPS as the final cog in the wheel. Something he should have done after three games which was when I started harping about it. We need our 1st line to be Hall-Nuge-Ebbs we simply need to manage them exactly like Gagner is managing the 2nd line, within the system. The adjustments they need to make are small and simple, they just arent getting the help they need. They just need to syncronise their transition timing with their tactical shooting decisions and the lack of scoring will work itself out naturally, they are just having trouble integrating their system duties with creative adjustments on the fly but within the system responsibilitys they are allotted, in other words they need to learn when they can step out of the system and not break system continuity to create their offense based on intuative dynamic cues, not system actions alone, they must learn to think in an additional dimension or do double duty in a cerebral sense if you will.

Yakupov needs to be with Gagner and MPS and Sam needs to become a sniper because I have never seen a player as good as Yakupov is at the delayed last mili-second pass release, he is elite already he outwaits opponents with his pass release like J.Schultz does from the point with his shot release. We need Yakupov to be in a position to use that talent and produce those highlight reel impossible unexpected passes and to do that he needs a finisher so he is confident, if we ask him to I swear he can make high percentage passes for 60 min, we just need to give him the task and a shooter, he is such a hard worker he will find ways to get the job done.

Ralph finally broke his self imposed line freeze and got his feet wet using his Intuition he trusted himself and the players, if I know him he has already analysed todays dynamic results and is cooking up even more chemistry based lines.

Well played Ralph Krueger and Oilers.

The Perfect Human*

When we move the puck out of our d-zone if we keep the three man wide exit then we need to have the middle man become Hall or a speedester and we need to have that middle man threaten a give and go with one of the wingmen at the blueline and then go for it straight down the middle full sprint, so we can leave a fast forward back to work this spearhaed right through the middle as the two wingmen collapse and fall back in case our headman loses the puck because he needs to be going full tilt down the middle intending to go all the way trying to draw a penalty as much as score, keeping his head up in the middle as well..

When we are gaining the o-zone we need to keep our first shots lower from ice level to knees, we are losing to many second shots because of our initial shot selections are angled to high, lets keep them down and go for the rebounds we are working so hard to get position on.

They are trying to clog the neutral zone and this is why we need to go for it right down the middle, using a give and go threat to open it up. We can stack players to beat the neutral zone congestion as well and relay the puck instead of making passes in the neutral zone and use legal picks to advance into the o-zone.

We need to shoot quicker , we are wayyyy to slow getting our shots off, we need to one-time it or redirect it much faster, we need that puck off our sticks at NHL speed, and lets see some attempts at shorthanded goals, face it when you go for it as long as you push the puck out over the blueline you win the battle and if you get an open lane even better but we really need to focus on greenlighting guys on the PK to go for it.

We are making good neutral zone transitions considering their numbers advantage, so keep it up, lets just see a faster shot release and more one-timers off of harder passes, we need to pass with more authority and speed the game up a little.

Posted on the GDT between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Watching Gagner make the proactive decision to be aggressive on the PK and then stack himself two deep with Magnus to enter the o-zone and then leave the puck for him was beautiful to see from a dynamic perspective, watching MPS release that shot in a one-time motion at NHL speed was also beautiful to watch he removed the goalie from the equation. Sometimes when you are a fan posting on the GDT you feel like a player and sometimes you fell like their moma2 when you give them dead on the money fan predictions like this baby was. The game itself was so lopsided shotwise it was pitiful, but at the end of the day we will take the 2 points and run. These lines looked good enough to try again. Man Mps-Gagner-Yakupov makes my hair stand on end with the way Magnus has matured this year-- he has arrived 100%, now its just a matter of consistancy which I believe he has shown.

Dubby was staying on his feet a lot more to challenge that mid range wrister and it looked great Freddy Chabot must be working hard with him because that was an excellent adjustment by Dubby.

Nice way to start a seven game winning streak which is exactly what we need to nail down 6th place this year. How about that Sam Gagner, he has evolved as MPS has and they looked natural together with excellent chemistry. I am telling you i will be rubbing it in to Krueger for years when he finally decides to save his season and return Gagner and Yakupov to the 2nd line with MPS as the final cog in the wheel. Something he should have done after three games which was when I started harping about it. We need our 1st line to be Hall-Nuge-Ebbs we simply need to manage them exactly like Gagner is managing the 2nd line, within the system. The adjustments they need to make are small and simple, they just arent getting the help they need. They just need to syncronise their transition timing with their tactical shooting decisions and the lack of scoring will work itself out naturally, they are just having trouble integrating their system duties with creative adjustments on the fly but within the system responsibilitys they are allotted, in other words they need to learn when they can step out of the system and not break system continuity to create their offense based on intuative dynamic cues, not system actions alone, they must learn to think in an additional dimension or do double duty in a cerebral sense if you will.

Yakupov needs to be with Gagner and MPS and Sam needs to become a sniper because I have never seen a player as good as Yakupov is at the delayed last mili-second pass release, he is elite already he outwaits opponents with his pass release like J.Schultz does from the point with his shot release. We need Yakupov to be in a position to use that talent and produce those highlight reel impossible unexpected passes and to do that he needs a finisher so he is confident, if we ask him to I swear he can make high percentage passes for 60 min, we just need to give him the task and a shooter, he is such a hard worker he will find ways to get the job done.

Ralph finally broke his self imposed line freeze and got his feet wet using his Intuition he trusted himself and the players, if I know him he has already analysed todays dynamic results and is cooking up even more chemistry based lines.

Well played Ralph Krueger and Oilers.

tumblr_m91zsbD79y1qj1vtpo1_500.gif

Knew we were missing something on here. I wish you could actually use pictures to describe some of the stuff you talk about. I have no idea if it's a good idea or not when it's all just written out.

Nice way to start a seven game winning streak
Wait...what?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Wait...what?

I like how a 7 game winning streak is the only way to get into 6th place

screw alternating wins and OT losses for the next 36 games or a few 5 game win streaks, we need a seven game win streak

The Perfect Human*

I like how a 7 game winning streak is the only way to get into 6th place

screw alternating wins and OT losses for the next 36 games or a few 5 game win streaks, we need a seven game win streak

He made a good point though about a potential line with MPS-Gagner-Yak. It lets Yak play his natural wing, and gives you a defensive presence in MPS. This way possession is deferred to Yak, rather than Hemsky (who to be honest is the best puck-carrier on the team right now).

Right now nothing is working for us 5on5 so I'd be open to trying it:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Yak
Harti-Belanger-Hemsky (give puck to Hemmer and watch bums crash net)
Eager-Smyth-Petrell

BadMedicine*

tumblr_m91zsbD79y1qj1vtpo1_500.gif

Knew we were missing something on here. I wish you could actually use pictures to describe some of the stuff you talk about. I have no idea if it's a good idea or not when it's all just written out.

Wait...what?

Funny you say that because I am an Intuit or in short a visual thinker , I literally see all my thoughts in a running 3D type of video. It is a real pain to write enough words to describe what I see in realtime, I need to describe my thoughts from a 3D perspective because that is actually what I am seeing, it wild when you are into sports because you can give predictive analysis that is super fast and super accurate because you see real life dynamics developing in video format kind of like a third party video screen so you are really combining what you are seeing from all sides in 3D with what every one else is processing in one dimensional thoughts. Imagine being on the ice and being able to just tell a teammate to skate three feet to the left to get a break away alone because the puck will be coming there and then having them trust you and do it and having it work in the high 90%s of the time think along the lines of playing chess with everyone on the field or ice and ignoring the play action as much as you possibly can and still influencing the play directly. I know it sounds whacked but you should have seen me play sports in high school, ha ha ha, I was the Most Outstanding Male Athlete in my high school, its hard to not get bored when you are basicly telling the future about 60 seconds before it happens in the dynamic you are part of so I played four sports and was on the Track team as well and for kicks i coached three high school teams for 3 hrs every night for extra credits. Remember I was young then,now I am an old dog and cant run with the big dogs anymore, ha ha ha. Thank god you never forget the feeling of competition, well at least I havent forgotten quite yet, ha ha ha.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree, you could sense that MPS was close to potting one. He was doing some decent drives to the net and he seems to be using his speed and big body better than in the past.

I hope that goal opens up the door for him. I don't think he'll ever be a great scorer but no reason he can't be a decent 2 way forward who pots 15+ a year with his speed and drive. He could be a faster, more defensively competent Ryan Jones in a best case scenario.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Katz & Co want a Stanley Cup team in Edmonton and are prepared to go as long as it takes to get one with this slow and steady rebuild strategy... problem is do they have a plan B if that doesn't work out and they still aren't close to looking like a contender at the end of that 4-6 year rebuild window?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It was nice to finally see it, but i feel MPS has been converted. He's been playing like a defensive minded forward this season.

It might just be me but I haven't noticed him leaving the zone as early as he used to, that or I'm just used to it by now :laugh:

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Funny you say that because I am an Intuit or in short a visual thinker , I literally see all my thoughts in a running 3D type of video. It is a real pain to write enough words to describe what I see in realtime, I need to describe my thoughts from a 3D perspective because that is actually what I am seeing, it wild when you are into sports because you can give predictive analysis that is super fast and super accurate because you see real life dynamics developing in video format kind of like a third party video screen so you are really combining what you are seeing from all sides in 3D with what every one else is processing in one dimensional thoughts. Imagine being on the ice and being able to just tell a teammate to skate three feet to the left to get a break away alone because the puck will be coming there and then having them trust you and do it and having it work in the high 90%s of the time think along the lines of playing chess with everyone on the field or ice and ignoring the play action as much as you possibly can and still influencing the play directly. I know it sounds whacked but you should have seen me play sports in high school, ha ha ha, I was the Most Outstanding Male Athlete in my high school, its hard to not get bored when you are basicly telling the future about 60 seconds before it happens in the dynamic you are part of so I played four sports and was on the Track team as well and for kicks i coached three high school teams for 3 hrs every night for extra credits. Remember I was young then,now I am an old dog and cant run with the big dogs anymore, ha ha ha. Thank god you never forget the feeling of competition, well at least I havent forgotten quite yet, ha ha ha.
Honestly I thank you for your long posts I finally had to get a account after lurking for years cause your long posts destroyed me being able to lurk from my smart phone anymore:) I noticed a lot of rookie posters as well as me lately you're a trend setter.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Katz & Co want a Stanley Cup team in Edmonton and are prepared to go as long as it takes to get one with this slow and steady rebuild strategy... problem is do they have a plan B if that doesn't work out and they still aren't close to looking like a contender at the end of that 4-6 year rebuild window?

Next time on Oil Change season 7 ... Jordan Eberle and Nathan MacKinnon have a post-game meal at Boston Pizza and hilarity ensues when the waitress gets their order wrong. Nail Yakupov goes shopping for socks with Oscar Klefbom. Ales Hemsky reconnects with an old girlfriend on a dating site for Czech singles.

Last edited:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Do you give credit to Tambellini for zeroing in on Khabibulin?
I'll give him credit for taking a stand on somebody rather than being wishy-washy about it. The problem with the Khabby signing is that even I knew it was doomed from the start. How a guy who's job it is to know better wasn't able to see the same is a frightening thought to me.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean, I can't feel bad after a win but man that win did not inspire a ton of confidence.

There were positives so lets start out with those. Dubnyk stood on his head. the guy for every game but one(Sharks) has given us a chance to win. Night in and night out. He's proving that he's got what it takes to be a #1 in this league.

The PK played well for the most part. Hemsky had jump.

Now to the bad. For some reason this team chooses not to play simple fundamental hockey. CBJ does not have the talent upfront we do, yet they are playing the style we should be right now. Grind it out cycle hockey to produce shots. With the offensive capabilities we have up front, if we played like that I'm sure we would produce more goals at ES. Hell we produced pressure when the kid line did it earlier. We generated so very little this game it looked bad.

We can't get it out of our own zone properly. Either giveaways or inability to defend against the cycle, we make it tougher on ourselves.

And our transition game needs to get better. God I swear I've said that the last 3-4 years.

I'm sure it'll look bad that I'm critiquing the Oilers after 2 points in regulation but that win does not inspire confidence. CBJ played us out of the rink. We have some real fundamental issues which could have resulted in another loss had it not been for some real lucky bounces (which feel good to be on the other end of) and some individual plays. 25% of the season done, time is of the essence if we want to compete for a spot at the dance.

Very true.
The other thing I have noticed is that the team insists on carrying the puck over the blue line which more often than not results in a turnover. I have a hard time believing this is coaching because its just so obvious. I see this as a product of too many stubborn young players being supported by veterans like Smyth. A player who has clearly lost a step and also doesn't have the smarts to try and compensate.
This is a personnel issue...if this team had the right mix of veterans and young players this issue and many other issues would resolve themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad