Speculation: Drysdale's value been proved still good? Why Barron's value perceived as so low according to a lot of people?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I really don't understand the general contempt towards Justin Barron.

He's a 22 year old 6'2" 200 pds RHD that skates well and have a good shot.

He's had stretches of good games followed by stretches of bad ones, just like a lot of youngsters his age do.

With him it's more a matter of confidence than tools, because he has all the tools to have a long NHL career.

But everybody seems to write him down, even if he already have close to a 100 games at just 22.

At the beginning of last season, he was forming the Habs best defensemen pair with Guhle. Both being under 23 yo.

Then he kind of lost confidence.

He was then sent to Laval, but it was more a case of MTL having tons of young guys at the blue line and them alternating the ones being hot at a given moment.

If MTL didn't have that much alternatives in their system, Barron would've stayed in the NHL. Because he has the tools to be an NHL regular.

Is he perfect?

No, he's not that physical nor has he the sharper defensive awareness.

But at the end of the day, he reminds me of Petry: a tall, athletic and RHS defenseman with a little less than a 1000 games, and a few 40 pts seasons, in the NHL.

So AFAIC, Barron's value is like Drysdale's = he's +/- worth his former draft pick: a late 1st (Gauthier, like Drysdale, was worth an early first at the time of the trade).

Both being 2020 draft, both still unproven but valuable because of their combination of position/shooting side/talent.

So, contrary to a lot of HFboarders, I don't buy the "Barron's worth shit" narrative.

As NHL GMs aren't HFboarders... young Centers/RHD, particularly big ones drafted in the 1st rd, are assets that tend to keep their value in the NHL.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dang another 1 escaped the Montreal sub forum

He's had stretches of good games followed by stretches of bad ones, just like a lot of youngsters his age do.

With him it's more a matter of confidence than tools, because he has all the tools to have a long NHL career.

But everybody seems to write him down, even if he already have close to a 100 games at just 22.

At the beginning of last season, he was forming the Habs best defensemen pair with Guhle. Both being under 23 yo.

He was then sent to Laval, but it was more a case of MTL having tons of young guys at the blue line and them alternating the ones being hot at a given moment.

If MTL didn't have that much alternatives in their system, Barron would've stayed in the NHL. Because he has the tools to be an NHL regular.

Is he perfect?

But at the end of the day, he reminds me of Petry: a tall, athletic and RHS defenseman with a little less than a 1000 games, and a few 40 pts seasons, in the NHL.

So AFAIC, Barron's value is like Drysdale's = he's +/- worth his former draft pick: a late 1st (Gauthier, like Drysdale, was worth an early first at the time of the trade).

Both being 2020 draft, both still unproven but valuable because of their combination of position/shooting side/talent.

So, contrary to a lot of HFboarders, I don't buy the "Barron's worth shit" narrative.

As NHL GMs aren't HFboarders... young Centers/RHD, particularly big ones drafted in the 1st rd, are assets that tend to keep their value in the NHL.
Hmm weird you should go read the zegras thread and what Montreal fans had to say

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
If he’s so valuable why are Montreal fans clamoring to trade him?

He’s proven nothing at the NHL level and the reality is that prospects like him are a dime a dozen on most NHL teams.

His development has clearly stalled, so I imagine his value would be a really low round pick or for a prospect that’s in a similar situation in a change of scenery type of trade.

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Because Drydale is the superior player? Although Barron played good near the end of the year, I went to see a few games when he was sent down to Laval and let me tell you, it wasn't pretty most of the time. I think Barron still has potential, don't get me wrong, but he has a lot of work to do to reach that level.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Is he perfect?

Drysdale AND a probably very early 2nd round pick.

Guhle is a better comparison. Same draft, 10 picks later. Guhle played 2 more yrs in jrs, Drysdale made he league righ away.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Drysdale has more tools at his disposal and the bet is on him putting them together.

He's been pretty mediocre to bad in the NHL thus far though, much like Barron.

infected13

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2005
Orange County, CA
I think a big part of it is that Anaheim / SoCal Media doesn't generally crucify our players when things don't go well and the rest of the league media doesn't seem to pay attention. So when you see a player like Drysdale who was repeatedly fighting injuries and realistically failing to meet expectations there isn't a huge paper trail like you would see in MTL. Zegras is the only player we have had that gets the constant negative attention and I think that has 99% more to do with the NHL pushing him as a poster boy in prior years.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I think these are different pedigrees of players. I mean just look at their relatively recent draft positions, 6th overall vs. 25th overall.

I agree, my assumption wasn't "Barron's value is equal to Drysdale's" but "if Drysdale's value is the same as when he was drafted even if he never really proved anything at the NHL level, why does Barron's value should have diminished since he's been drafted?"

I mean, neither of them have had an incredible season since being drafted, Drysdale played a little more games but their pt/gms ratio is about the same, both were drafted in 2020.

So logically, Barron should be worth +/- the 25th pick he was drafted with.

No?

It's not like Barron never played a game in the NHL or was clearly a disappointment. He's been good and he's been bad, but he's young and we can see the untapped potential.

It's not like he's 25, he's 22 and he's a defenseman (takes longer to fully develop).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You're asking people to buy high on Barron when what is seen from the outside is a guy who has gotten two extended looks at the NHL level. Drysdale's issues are injury related, not staying power within the NHL.

This is the same argument with Broberg. Yes he was a higher pick than Barron, but he also hasn't been able to find his footing in extended looks. That's a pretty big red flag, even if situations could be part of the issue. Most like to think that if you're looking at a truly elite talent, they will find a way to impact the game enough to force themselves into better situations.

It's not baseless - and there are recent examples. Look at a guy like Kravstov. Similar situation but couldn't find his footing in the NHL in New York. He was a very high pick but he was becoming waiver eligible and wasn't making progress towards solidifying a spot in the lineup. He was traded for essentially a late round pick and an AHL forward.

Montreal can do one of two things. They can play him and hope that he solidifies himself and then turnaround and ask for the large value that is put on him by alot of Habs fans. Or you can sell him now when the only thing he's proved is that he isn't reliable defensively, he has some puck moving ability, but he also can't cut it on a blue line that is in dire need of players.

Fwiw the other argument on Drysdale vs Barron is Drysdale has some very clear elite tools. I'm not sure if you're comping someone to a Jeff Petry, there is an elite tool there.

Reactions: wetcoast

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I think a big part of the Barron hate here is the fact that when some Montreal fans want a valuable asset their solution is to throw Barron at it. Want to move up 16 spots in the first round?? Justin Barron should cover it LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad