Prospect Info: Konsta Helenius, RC, Jukurit (Liiga) - 14th Overall, 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Corey Pronman is basically calling out Adams for having a dumb drafting strategy in his latest pod

Maybe Pronman thinks we're set at C, but we sure as hell aren't. I blame him for the trade that left a huge hole in the C depth, I don't blame him for drafting a guy that could perfectly fill that hole. I still blame KA for causing a 3-4 year delay in having a prime-aged C in that spot, but that delay would be there no matter who he drafted.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Maybe Pronman thinks we're set at C, but we sure as hell aren't. I blame him for the trade that left a huge hole in the C depth, I don't blame him for drafting a guy that could perfectly fill that hole. I still blame KA for causing a 3-4 year delay in having a prime-aged C in that spot, but that delay would be there no matter who he drafted.
Pronman is good but wrong in this case - plus how is Helenius like any of the other 1st rd guys we’ve drafted - different player type

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Really like this pick. He’s the guy I would have wanted at #11 of the players still on the board. Really liked Buium and Dickinson too but just didn’t see the need for another top 4 LHD.

I could even see Helenius getting a chance to compete for a bottom 6 C role as soon as this season if Adams isn’t able to add a good veteran 3C (which makes me kind of excited and sad at the same time. lol)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It’s difficult to be a GM for 5 seasons and not make the playoffs. If a respected industry member thinks he’s bad at his job, I tend to believe them since the results so far back that up.
I'm no KA apologist, but any GM going the draft and development route so hard as KA has done, will have little to show for it in on-ice results in 5 yrs...hell maybe 7 years. Drafting isn't the problem, it's team-building. That major hurdle has been partially self-inflicted by having Buffalo become a joke destination for any current NHLers under his tenure (and before to be fair).

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Really like this pick. He’s the guy I would have wanted at #11 of the players still on the board. Really liked Buium and Dickinson too but just didn’t see the need for another top 4 LHD.

I could even see Helenius getting a chance to compete for a bottom 6 C role as soon as this season if Adams isn’t able to add a good veteran 3C (which makes me kind of excited and sad at the same time. lol)
A year or two in the ahl would be good he is what 190 lbs already put up really respectable numbers in the liiga he can come over play 4c with pp/pk time and play his way up to 2c

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I think you have a great player in Helenius. Could be playing the NHL as soon as the upcoming year already. Not sure if that is the best case for him, but time will tell. If he's ready at camp, why the heck not? Obviously the safer route would be playing in Finland one more year.

And for the record, it's Hele-nius. Source? West coast Finland for the last 27 years.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm no KA apologist, but any GM going the draft and development route so hard as KA has done, will have little to show for it in on-ice results in 5 yrs...hell maybe 7 years. Drafting isn't the problem, it's team-building. That major hurdle has been partially self-inflicted by having Buffalo become a joke destination for any current NHLers under his tenure (and before to be fair).
That is why draft and develop can’t be the main element of managing your team.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Pronman's getting bitchy about The Sabres Forward pool
Corey Pronman - the Athletic “yet again, Buffalo takes a sub-6-foot forward with a premium pick. I get the best-player-available angle, but … they are backing themselves into a corner on the trade market by drafting the same player type over and over.”
"Sub-6-foot" is a weird categorization because there's a huge difference between 5-11 and like 5-8. Also this implies that the other sub-6-footers weren't good picks with the benefit of hindsight, which is... not true. Zach Benson is small so you can't take anyone under 6-2 ever again?

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, he can play in the AHL. I think Finland is the smarter choice for now if he doesn't make the NHL. Things are working out there in a good league, why risk screwing up development?
Yeah, his loan deal with Jukurit is over and he'd be playing for his parent club Tappara who just won the league. Grönborg coaches a very active hockey style and one would think that would be good for his development.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Like the pick. On paper seems similar to a lot of what you have, but once you dig a bit deeper you find out differently. More of a two way player, who, if he doesn't work out in the top 6, can be a solid depth player. Average size, but a bit of a tank who had some nice results at the Combine tests. Plays with men, is feisty, and very smart.

Just fine, though i didn't like the trade in the 1st place, and still don't considering who was available at 11. I think that if Adams had waited he could've gotten a better haul for Dickinson/Buium, or just have taken Dickinson, handedness be damned.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00