Draisatl's future in Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Well, I still say he will leave at a 99% chance rate.
The only chance for him to stay is that other teams are not willing to pay him anymore, after seeing the abolsute shitsow he put up in the last 2 rounds of the playoff.
On the other hand, the Oilers must have realized in those two rounds that keeping him at a high price tag would absolutely be insane.
He will either accept a salary below market value and join Boston, or he will go to some desperate irrelevant team that his willing to throw money at him to get a big name.
He was pretty obviously injured. That being said,a lot of teams will think twice about bringing someone with Draisaitl's character issues into their room.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Most likely stays. San Jose and Boston are the teams that seem to be rumoured if that's not the case. I think the San Jose connection is a German owner, plus they're building a solid young core now with Celebrini in the mix. Not sure if Boston could really make the cap work.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"Figure out what I want"

Would be a lot simpler for him to just say "I want to be in Edmonton" wouldn't it?

Reads to me like yeah I'll stay for 15m AAV or I'll go to Boston or San Jose and get that money.
Sounds like he wants to play in San Jose and not play with anyone and being managed by Grier

• Haha
Reactions: brentashton

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
'Holy hell, McDavid and Draisaitl together make $21 million starting in 18-19. That's flat out obscene'
To be fair the cap was $79.5mil. Two guys making 25% of the cap is a lot. No different than two guys getting $11mil deals today. Or rather maybe a $13mil and a $9mil.

Worked out well for them though. But I think it speaks to a trend - if you don't make it work on a players ELC, you might have to sign them for market value and then hope when the cap goes up in the later part of the deal, that's when you can add the depth needed to win.

resign? or re-sign?
Yes.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Which Is It GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he's staying but they're gonna have to bring out the Brinks truck. He already did them a favor on the last contract.
I see this said a lot and it's some serious hindsight. The Oilers actually gave him above market value at the time projecting that he would keep improving so his contract was certainly not team friendly at the time. I remember all the usual naysayers around here very clearly yelling at clouds about what a joke his contract was etc. etc. so, yeah, definitely hindsight.

He's going to make bank because this market dictates that he deserves to make bank not because he was underpaid under his previous contract.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I think its 50/50. I wont hold it against him if he does leave, hes done everything here you can ask for. But I definitely see him as wanting to play for a team like Boston, NY or LA

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If he's smart, he'll see where they are at mid-season. If they are able to put a solid team together that's not McDavid being a one-man show, then resign. If it's bumpy, I'd wait.

Edmonton has seemingly been pretty clear that they're not willing to let it play out like this. They don't want to get Gaudreau'd.

Leon will be signed or traded sometime in the next month or so. I don't know if he will choose to stay or go but I do know that if he does decide to move on it won't be over the money.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Huh???

Folks here thought he was OVERPAID in that contract. I'm sure half of you were screaming at the stupidity of Chia for signing him to such an outrageous contract.
Exactly he didn't do them any favor. The number back then for those kind of contracts were in the 6M-6.5M range. Draisaitl was the one who set the new bar, just because he outplayed his contract doesn't mean it was a discount at the time.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Edmonton is in a really tough spot with him I think. Obviously they'd love to resign him...but there's got to be a limit to what they can (or are willing to) spend. So, if you know you can't afford him at that point, you trade him right? But then how does McDavid take that? If he's ok with it, now you need to deal with the teams on Draisaitl's list.

How do you get (1) equal value back for him and (2) enough that it makes a difference in your team to satisfy what McDavid would want so he doesn't leave? Do you try to do something insane and move him and Nurse to free up cap space but take back less in return? What team can take on that salary without gutting their team though and would they even do it? Do you only deal him if a top-tier goalie is available in the trade? Just a lot of moving parts that make a trade difficult if you're looking to get better.

I honestly have no idea what they do with him. It's going to be tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad