Sportsnet: Draisaitl: Of course we can beat that team. There’s no question about it

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Were Draisaitl comments after the game:

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
OP, have you ever played competitive sports?

I wouldn't want any guy on my team that didn't 100% believe they could beat anybody. Inferiority complexes are for losers. In what world should the defending winner of the Hart Trophy be talking like a loser? He didn't get that get by being any less than ultra competitive.

Disrespectful? Come on man, it's the highest tier of competitive sports. Can you imagine if Auston Matthews or John Tavares were asking if Toronto could beat Boston in a playoff series and they went full Linus in response?

There is an old saying its better to e thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm suspicion, Leon opened his mouth.

There being confident and then there is being dismissive of your opponent. It's arrogant to assume you are going to beat an opponent just because you want to win. His comment suggest that of course we can beat them, they have just been lucky or we have been unlucky. He is suggesting that his team is the better team and the Leafs have not deserved to beat the Oil this year. Of course....

Act like you've been there before - Mark Messier and a hundred other great athletes...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
There is an old saying its better to e thought a fool than open your mouth and confirm suspicion, Leon opened his mouth.

There being confident and then there is being dismissive of your opponent. It's arrogant to assume you are going to beat an opponent just because you want to win. His comment suggest that of course we can beat them, they have just been lucky or we have been unlucky. He is suggesting that his team is the better team and the Leafs have not deserved to beat the Oil this year. Of course....

Act like you've been there before - Mark Messier and a hundred other great athletes...
very ironic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Draisaitl's an arrogant competitor so of course he's going to look at Toronto with a bit of derision, don't kid yourself.

But lucky for the Leafs, Draisaitl was doing his lazy loop de loop around the ice when Galchenyuk made the pass to Nylander's game tying goal and the puck did bounce off him and Nurse on Matthews game winner. Good to have him out there as a defensive exploit.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not sure what else Draisaitl is supposed to say when asked that question. This thread is the type of delusional thread I'd expect to see from an Oilers fan if Matthews had said something similar.

That's the point Matthews would never say something as arrogant and dismissive. He has a little more respect for his opponents.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
They were ahead on the scoreboard not in actual game play . Hanging on rarely works when the ice is tilted against you.

The scoreboard tells the most important and final story of the game though. I'm glad the Leafs prevailed on there as well at the end.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
While I don't think this is thread worthy or anything to really discuss extensively. From all the pressers I've watched of the Oilers this season (when facing the Leafs), they seldom give any credit to the Leafs for their play. This isn't the first time he's talked about the matchup in this tone. McDavid and Tippett have also downplayed how well the Leafs have played their team. I understand part of is the competitive spirit but you have to be a little humble sometimes and this team hasn't shown that a ton.

This game could've easily been a blowout for us had it not been for about 5 grade AAA point-blank chances that Smith stoned us on and the 4 or 5 crossbars/ posts we hit.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
giphy.gif

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
im pretty sure every player in the league will say that about any team on camera, its a good thread if your trying to troll oiler HF boarders lol

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

You're reading a hell of a lot into a simple comment.

They've beat Toront this year. They just watched the Leafs go 1-5 in a 6 game stretch, while losing to Ottawa. We're not talking about the late 90's Red Wings or the Gretzky era Oilers. Thr Leafs are MAYBE a top 4 team in the NHL right now. In what world should the defending Hart Trophy winner feel like he can't be confident that they can overcome the Leafs if the Oilers play their best?

The guy didn't offend the franchise, he just isn't about to roll over and die just because the Leafs have had the Oilers' number.

Reactions: Cams

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I got no issue with what he said. He's got more personality than McJesus. That sarcastic comment he made in last series had me on the floor laughing.

He's a tremendous player of hockey. I think 97 and 29 are tremendous players just too bad they're on that team.

Screenshot_20210328-045147_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: saffronleaf

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I would expect literally any player to say that about literally any other team in the league.

I wouldn't even bat an eye if it was a reporter asking Taylor Hall if Buffalo can beat Crosby and the Penguins, right in the depth of their 17 game losing streak. "Of course we can beat them."

Games are played on the ice, not on paper, for a reason.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He believes it, we have done it this season twice (so it is a fact) and you should have confidence in yourself and your team or you are the Buffalo Sabres of this season bad. If he said "we are the better team" or "they just had horseshoes up their butts" then that would be bulletin board material. I know that it's great to be on the + side of 4 straight wins against a team, but come the postseason it is a new season and any team can beat another (see Columbus vs. Tampa). Looking forward to a good game tomorrow, regardless of who wins I hope that these teams face off in the postseason as it would be great to see so much talent on display in a series.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't want any part of McDavid and Draisatl in the playoffs.

Say whatever about the rest of the team, those two scare me

IMO you'd rightfully be the favorites in that series. I think that with a few decent moves we could change that but our likely biggest potential additions will likely be from the system in Bouchard and Holloway. We are at least 1 top 6LW and 1 top 4LD from making some noise as a team unless McDrai go beast mode or Smith plays like a prime Hasek or Roy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Secondly and the only thing I think you could be commenting on out of my post is that Draisaitl sulks...he’s done it on more than one interview lol
So I really don’t know why you’re responding to me as like I said earlier ...cringier topics have last on this board and we don’t know what he was trying to say only he does lol

I can tell that he hates getting asked stupid questions. He'll roll his eyes or give some attitude. I can't say that I'd be very different especially after losing to a team 4x in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad