Value of: Draisaitl New Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
2) The insane amount of PP time the Oilers get, as well as how efficient it is (Largely due to McDavid)

3) Even strength production is far more indicative of how impactful a player is. Also because of the McDavid effect + the PP, the best way to analyze Draisaitl as an individual, would be to analyze him when he's not with McDavid and not on the PP.

If you wanna live in a fairy tale world and pretend like these things don't matter then go for it.

So what do these stats tell you?

1704466759975.png

This is the three year span leading up to last year. Last year Drai was not particularly strong at 5v5 because RNH was playing almost exclusively with McD. McD was also not at his best (in terms of GF%), unless Drai was with him.

Your argument is overly simplistic.... of course a great player will influence another great player. But you seem to want to draw conclusions that simply can't be drawn unless the four other top-6 wingers/players we are talking about are also equal. We know in Edmonton (and most all teams) that is simply not the case.

A quick history lesson here... the predominant wingers on our team after RHN during this three year span included Kahun, Puljarvi, Chiasson and Kassian... no I'm not joking.

Attachments

• 1704466290880.png
    1704466290880.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1704466734745.png
    1704466734745.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: AvroArrow

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That’s my point my man. 14 million minus 40% tax. That’s what ? 8.5 million take home? To compete with Dallas, Fla, TB or Vegas they would have to offer him like 17 million

Some tax accountant came through one time in the business of hockey thread and corrected the above... it isn't that simple. Each country has ways to shield earnings from taxes and of course these guys can hire the best. Even for a traveling shmuck like myself the US-Canada tax treaty allows that you can be taxed based on days worked in one country vs the other. As it relates to the Pacific division, the Oilers would be playing a decent number of days and more importantly traveling through the US on a great number more.

I don't have the expertise to run the numbers for you, but it is a lot closer than you think.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That’s my point my man. 14 million minus 40% tax. That’s what ? 8.5 million take home? To compete with Dallas, Fla, TB or Vegas they would have to offer him like 17 million
I find it interesting that you first suggested Draisaitl to LA and then brought up tax considerations. People in California (and in particular LA county) probably have it worse of anywhere in NA (except maybe NY) its prison style, they get held down so that every level of government can take a turn.

You are correct that some states do enjoy a tax advantage but it’s not as pronounced as you’re making it seem. While state income tax levels may be lower or non existent in some cases people in these areas are still subject to taxation from various levels of government, sometimes worse sales taxes depending on jurisdictions, increased property and land transfer taxes, luxury taxes and the list goes on.

Finally there are tax planning tools at the disposal of high income earners to mitigate, things such as an RCA (retirement compensation agreement) can help them reduce their tax liability. You still have to pay accountants and tax lawyers which can be an added cost but in the end there’s not a huge chasm of tax liability between teams in different jurisdictions.

Also consider this, playing and living in Canada as a pro athlete you are being paid in USD but your expenses are mostly in CAD so every dollar you earn is actually worth $1.25 in Canada, that helps.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So what do these stats tell you?

View attachment 796415

This is the three year span leading up to last year. Last year Drai was not particularly strong at 5v5 because RNH was playing almost exclusively with McD. McD was also not at his best (in terms of GF%), unless Drai was with him.

Your argument is overly simplistic.... of course a great player will influence another great player. But you seem to want to draw conclusions that simply can't be drawn unless the four other top-6 wingers/players we are talking about are also equal. We know in Edmonton (and most all teams) that is simply not the case.

A quick history lesson here... the predominant wingers on our team after RHN during this three year span included Kahun, Puljarvi, Chiasson and Kassian... no I'm not joking.
With all due respect, and I really genuinely mean that, advanced stats like corsi and expected goals for are complete garabge IMO. My argument isn't a great player will influence another great player.

My argument is a real generational player who can legitimately have a case for being the 2nd best player of all time, by the time he's retired, will HEAVILY inflate the numbers of everyone around him. Patrick Maroon, Hyman, Tyson Barrie are all examples of this, along with Draisaitl. He's just that great.

Also your point about the other linemates is fair. But those linemates don't have an influence anywhere near as big as a guy like McDavid, but it is a very reasonable point.

I'll just ask you a simple question, how good is McDavid really ? How many more points do his teammates score because of him in your opinion ? Does he create an extra 10 points ? 15 points ? 20 points ? More ? Fewer ? If he was to be replaced with an average-good 1C, how much do the rest of the Oilers point totals change, if at all ?

Assume he was swapped 1 for 1 for a guy like say, Brayden Point, Petterson or Stutzle for example. Does Draisaitls production go up or down ? And by how much ? How much does it effect the PP efficiency ?

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton

Read that article above, essentially signing bonuses for players are being encouraged by NHLPA because they're lockout proof. The current CBA is set to expire in 2026, pushed back of previous 2022 expiration date because of Covid.

NHL has less leverage if more players have "guaranteed money" in form of SB's.
I bring this up because Draisaitl will structure his deal a lot like Tavares and other star players to maximize lost tax money, SBs are taxed at a much lower rate than standard salary.

View attachment 790518
View attachment 790516
I don't think you are correct that SB's are taxed lower than standard salary. They just have slightly more complicated rules as to where you have to pay the taxes based on where you live.

Austin Mathews plays to TO but lives in Arizona. His SB is taxed at the full rate in Ontario (Provincially and Federally) up to a certain percentage of the SB, and then the remaining is then paid at the Arizona rate. The savings here is simply the tax rate being lower in Arizona than Ontario, not that the SB is taxed less than the salary.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Quality of life is going down the absolute shitter in Canada.

I see many successful people leaving Canada in the future. Be honest, would you rather live in FL, TX or Cali or AB, MB or QC while making millions?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I think NHLPA will push his agent to break the $14 million dollar AAV and McDavid breaks through the $15 or 16 million dollar mark. Getting ever closer to a potential $20 million dollar player in Bedard [likely when he turns 26 or so]?

I see some team like Arizona going big time hunting, lining up with new arena and finally taking the next step in this rebuild.

8 years x $14.25 million
I highly doubt the nhlpa does that.

There’s a salary cap.

Him making more money just takes money away from other members

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
With all due respect, and I really genuinely mean that, advanced stats like corsi and expected goals for are complete garabge IMO. My argument isn't a great player will influence another great player.

My argument is a real generational player who can legitimately have a case for being the 2nd best player of all time, by the time he's retired, will HEAVILY inflate the numbers of everyone around him. Patrick Maroon, Hyman, Tyson Barrie are all examples of this, along with Draisaitl. He's just that great.

Also your point about the other linemates is fair. But those linemates don't have an influence anywhere near as big as a guy like McDavid, but it is a very reasonable point.

I'll just ask you a simple question, how good is McDavid really ? How many more points do his teammates score because of him in your opinion ? Does he create an extra 10 points ? 15 points ? 20 points ? More ? Fewer ? If he was to be replaced with an average-good 1C, how much do the rest of the Oilers point totals change, if at all ?

Assume he was swapped 1 for 1 for a guy like say, Brayden Point, Petterson or Stutzle for example. Does Draisaitls production go up or down ? And by how much ? How much does it effect the PP efficiency ?

First I agree with you about advanced stats... they can paint a false picture. I wasn't pasting that chart to show advanced stats (in fact I cut if off before it got to xGF columns). I was just too lazy to snip it down to what I care most about, which is...

Goals are goals and we decide games based on goals for and goals against in all game states.

Even if I accept the premise that we should only look at 5v5 as "pure". I don't by the way, the only reason it makes sense to look at 5v5 is to compare a guy with powerplay time to a guy without power play time... so for top-end offensive players, I think it's somewhat irrelevant, or rather less important than the totality of their contribution...

but even if I did, Draisaitl is no slouch at 5v5 whenever he's been given decent line mates to work with. He is, at least at 5v5, one of the better playmakers in the game (whereas on the PP he adopts the shooter role)... in my opinion on a talent level similar to Thornton & Foppa. Not Marner, O'Connor etc as you suggest. In fact I think he's quite easily the 4th best Oiler forward of all time (and I saw them all)... ahead of Kurri, Anderson, Nilsson, Weight, TIkkanen, etc. Messier honestly only gets the nod based on defensive play and mean streak.

however if you put him with low/no-skill forwards, they aren't going to convert and he's not going to carry the goal-share that you'd hope. I think that is true of any playmaker.

And yes, McDavid is different, he's especially noticeably different when he doesn't have talent to work with. In fact if you've watched as many Oiler games as I have... roughly 65 per year since 2009 (thank you NHL package), that is what would immediately jump out at you. McDavid doesn't need anyone special on his line to succeed. He's a singular talent.

but your corollary argument does not follow... the fact that McD doesn't need any talent, doesn't mean that he's automatically disproportionately boosting every player he plays with. Lessor talents? Sure, that's obvious. But guys as talented as Draisaitl? At that point it's a synergistic relationship and any of the numbers I've seen show that... McD benefits and Drai benefits... in some years it shows Drai benefits more, in other years it shows McD benefits more...

... and when you dig into that, what you'd see is that in years where Drai was given the better line mates, his numbers with McD didn't improve that much (or rather, looked already very good without him). The reverse is also true, however to a lessor extend, since McD produces off the rush without making use of his teammates.

Play them with scrubs and McD comes out way ahead, scrubs getting the opportunity to knock in a rebound if they get up the ice in time... whereas Drai doesn't have the same pace through the neutral zone, so he's not dragging those scrubs along with him the same way as McD does.

However played as a true #1 and surrounded with talent, I don't think McD benefits his line mates any more than Drai does. McD, with his skating will increase the volume of chances, but Drai controls and distributes the puck better... played with above average line mates, Drai will extract more from those guys.

To answer your question with hypothetical stats:
McD without Drai (playing with pretty much anyone) = 135 points, 55-60 GF%
Drai without McD (playing with RNH + Hyman or Kane) = 120 points, 55-60 GF%
McDrai together full time (has never happened, but) = McD 160 points, Drai 145 points, 60-65 GF%

So yeah, McD is the better player, but we are talking about two 1st ballot HoFers IMO and both would see a similar bump in production if the only thing that mattered was playing together. Thankfully our coaches have done their best (within the constraints given by the GMs) to spread that wealth.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Drai will get more than 11m
caps going up. I would put money on Drai getting 13.6-14m becoming the new highest paid player. till McDavid
The no state tax stated use it to their advantage and I do t see why they would pay market price when they don’t have to

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Quality of life is going down the absolute shitter in Canada.

I see many successful people leaving Canada in the future. Be honest, would you rather live in FL, TX or Cali or AB, MB or QC while making millions?
Minor inconvenieces you mean. Quality of life isn't very different today than what it was a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad