Proposal: Draisaitl for a cheaper 1 C with a + maybe

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Nylander plays a game suited to C and played there successfully in the AHL right after transitioning from Sweden. If you see him playing there long-term wouldn't be opposed to Nylander + for Drai

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nylander plays a game suited to C and played there successfully in the AHL right after transitioning from Sweden. If you see him playing there long-term wouldn't be opposed to Nylander + for Drai

Not interested in Nylander overly. His numbers away from Matthews are concerning.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Lol Draisaitl is becoming the most overrated player in the league. Marron scored 27 goals playing with McJesus, I wonder how many points Draisaitl would have without the wonder boy.

Gachenyuk plus Price signed 8 yeaars with 4M retained is in the McDavid value territory.

in before McDavid is worth the whole habs organisation plus its 24 cups

How quickly people forget that Leon started the 15/16 season with 30 pts in his first 25 games after being called up from the minors/when McDavid went down with a broken collarbone. Yes, he slowed down but he developed more consistency this year.

Also, Draisaitl didn't play with McDavid for the first half of the season and he still put up 33 pts in 38 games on his own line and terrorized the Ducks in the post season without McDavid (13 pts in the series).

If the Oilers were somehow forced to move Drai, I'd really like to get a guy like Rantanen back. That dude is gonna be a major star imo.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Galchenyuk is a huge question mark at C and we're fine on the wing even without Drai.

It's interesting. Galchenyuk had more points than Duchene last year and played 16 games fewer and more than 2 minutes less per game. I think Galchenyuk is underrated a lot.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's interesting. Galchenyuk had more points than Duchene last year and played 16 games fewer and more than 2 minutes less per game. I think Galchenyuk is underrated a lot.

Everyone had more points that Duchene last year. Mark Letestu almost had more points than Duchene.

Don't get me wrong I think Duchene is a miserable starting point for Draisaitl. Galchenyuk is slightly better but would still be supremely disappointing as the main piece coming back.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Idk about the Horvat + Tanev.. that's steep.

Got to remember that EDM is a threat for the SC and the team doesn't have HUGE glaring issues, giving them essentially more defensive help is going to bite us. However, by the time we can compete again hopefully Tanev is a step slower.

We're giving away our shutdown 1C (2C in EDM) and top-2 D man (Top-4 in EDM) for Drai who will obviously take our 1C position.

But, I'm a huge Drai fan, he is a top-10/15C in the league, and will only get better.

I'd rather keep Tanev to shelter our D-core and maybe if EDM/VAN fans see fit, can work around something like: Horvat + 2018 first rounder (unprotected).

The risk is for sure there for EDM in whether Drai will bring up the Canucks overall standing # higher, but if VAN craps the bed (likely) again they will get a top-5 pick.

VAN fans got to remember that Drai would be a 1C on a lot of teams including ours, justifiably, they do not come cheap.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Idk about the Horvat + Tanev.. that's steep.

Got to remember that EDM is a threat for the SC and the team doesn't have HUGE glaring issues, giving them essentially more defensive help is going to bite us. However, by the time we can compete again hopefully Tanev is a step slower.

We're giving away our shutdown 1C (2C in EDM) and top-2 D man (Top-4 in EDM) for Drai who will obviously take our 1C position.

But, I'm a huge Drai fan, he is a top-10/15C in the league, and will only get better.

I'd rather keep Tanev to shelter our D-core and maybe if EDM/VAN fans see fit, can work around something like:

Hornet + 2018 first rounder (unprotected). The risk is for sure there for EDM in whether Drai will bring up the Canucks overall standing # higher, but if VAN craps the bed (likely) again they will get a top-5 pick.

Oilers walk away pretty easily from Horvat and a pick. The best time to go for a Cup is this next season and right now Drai is a massive upgrade on Horvat. No sense in making the team worse for a mystery box.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Everyone had more points that Duchene last year. Mark Letestu almost had more points than Duchene.

Don't get me wrong I think Duchene is a miserable starting point for Draisaitl. Galchenyuk is slightly better but would still be supremely disappointing as the main piece coming back.

That's certainly fair enough. I was looking back at the OP who mentioned Duchene as a possibility and then a later poster who indicated that nothing on Montreal would even remotely be a starting point and found it odd.

You're right though - Galchenyuk's problem is uncertainty.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada

Again, just to point it out, if Montreal really wanted Draisaitl, they'd offer sheet him. Any team could do it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Again, just to point it out, if Montreal really wanted Draisaitl, they'd offer sheet him. Any team could do it.

They wouldn't get him, though. That's the issue.

Go ahead and offer sheet him. Oilers match it. Now the Oilers are pissed off and would trade Drai to a team that's not yours.

Now you have no Draisaitl and a pissed off fellow GM, and now an Eastern rival very likely just picked up a 1C because there's no way Edmonton trades him in division.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If they want to trade him they need to look for a bonafied 2C+

There isn't going to be a lot of cheaper 1Cs, especially ones that the other team is going to give up considering what he will cost.

You could also do it for some big time wing+

For example:

Draisaitl+pick to Columbus for Panarin+Murray

A lot depends on if you want to keep your 2C as RNH.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well of course you would. But even if you retain 50% of Duchene's contract, that is 8.25M going back the other way. The Oilers could just pay that money to Draisaitl instead

True that, but they wouldn't be getting a PMD who could score 70 on that team to go with Leon for that money. So depending on their plans, that's a trade that could help them take a major step. I know a lot of folks are down on Tyson because Bednar didn't use him right, but he's a dynamic player...and both he & Dutchy were awesome for us in that Minnesota series and could be big pieces for the Oilers attempts to take that next step and become major cup contenders. Plus we could also take Fayne's contract off their hands.

but Drai looks to be a playoff beast. The perception at least.
Tough to match MacKinnon or Seguin up against Draisaitl if this is the case. Also tough for Edmonton to move potential playoff beast in Draisaitl when the playoff performance of McDavid was underwhelming

The one time MacK got to play in the postseason he put up 10 points in 7 games :dunno:

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Draisaitl for Barkov (FIN \ Jokinen\ Puljujarvi connection)
Draisaitl for Scheifele (Morrissey connection)

Only 2 Drai for C swaps I would do

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If they want to trade him they need to look for a bonafied 2C+

There isn't going to be a lot of cheaper 1Cs, especially ones that the other team is going to give up considering what he will cost.

You could also do it for some big time wing+

For example:

Draisaitl+pick to Columbus for Panarin+Murray

A lot depends on if you want to keep your 2C as RNH.

Would have to be a C. We're fine on the wing now and our two best prospects are wingers.

I think RNH will be the casualty, not Drai. Drai will get 7.5 - 8 and RNH gets dealt next offseason.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
They wouldn't get him, though. That's the issue.

Go ahead and offer sheet him. Oilers match it. Now the Oilers are pissed off and would trade Drai to a team that's not yours.

Now you have no Draisaitl and a pissed off fellow GM, and now an Eastern rival very likely just picked up a 1C because there's no way Edmonton trades him in division.

The fact he isn't signed, should tell you he's not fond of Chiarelli's proposal. Look, I didn't say we would but that if we really wanted him, they should.

Edmonton fans are saying Montreal has nothing to offer. I counter with an offer sheet.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would have to be a C. We're fine on the wing now and our two best prospects are wingers.

I think RNH will be the casualty, not Drai. Drai will get 7.5 - 8 and RNH gets dealt next offseason.

I tend to agree.

I think he needs to be to be honest. Find a team that can send a cheap center and a couple picks back would be best IMHO.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The fact he isn't signed, should tell you he's not fond of Chiarelli's proposal. Look, I didn't say we would but that if we really wanted him, they should.

Edmonton fans are saying Montreal has nothing to offer. I counter with an offer sheet.

The fact that he isnt signed also shows he is not fond of an offersheet.
Normally the player agents act as managers and work out an offersheet acceptable to both sides.

There is no rush to sign... this can drag for 2 more months ... Draisaitl is enjoying his summer chilling in Germany knowing he will be making big bucks when he comes to Canada in September.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
The fact that he isnt signed also shows he is not fond of an offersheet.
Normally the player agents act as managers and work out an offersheet acceptable to both sides.

There is no rush to sign... this can drag for 2 more months ... Draisaitl is enjoying his summer chilling in Germany knowing he will be making big bucks when he comes to Canada in September.

It could be that nobody made an offer sheet for Draisaitl too. It's very much frowned upon.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It could be that nobody made an offer sheet for Draisaitl too. It's very much frowned upon.

yup... very possible..
My point is that it is a negotiation... Drai's agent is dealing with Chia and wants the most for his client..
Its got nothing to do with Draisaitl not being fond of Chiarelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad