Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part VII (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am open to it. I am not completely against it. I dont think an unsigned Kreider is as appealing. Maybe they can move Skjei to get there. But its concerning moving Skjei out. They would have to have a lot of faith in their young defensemen. Hajek. Lindgren. Make the move for Fox.

I would like to ice a competitive team next year.

And that's the question.

The Rangers want to make a move, but at what cost?

IMO the 3 options that could potentially have the value being sought, without too much squinting, include Kreider, Skjei, and Andersson.

Not all together mind you. But I think any conversations would probably include one of them.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Okay, so a brief television timeout here.

No one is giving up anyone, or approaching this particular conversation looking to clear out everyone over the age of 26.

The conversation is that the Rangers are interested in a second top 10 pick.

In order to do get said pick, the cost is going to be high.

So knowing that the cost is going to be high, what potentially meets that price. (Because we aren't sending Pionk and a second to a team).

So let's all bring it back into the circle and talk about what that might include.
Sorry maybe i'm late to the convo here but some posts were mentioning trading Kreider or Skjei.
How else are we getting this second top 10 pick? A 22nd overall and 31st overall for example are not gonna make it happen.
Like you said the cost is gonna be high. We are accumulating all of these first round picks. I think it is imperative to keep guys like Skjei and Kreider around to guide and mentor these guys.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You could possibly be trading Skjei, Lias and a Lavoie/Seider/Harley (who are all getting rave reviews) for a Turcotte/Zegras/Krebs...we better damn make sure any of those guys better be a good top 6 player.

That’s the point...it’s quality over quantity with the opportunity to get a potential 1B center. I think Gorton is prepared to pay a price to get the player he wants. Maybe Skjei is too much...make it Pionk Instead.

Reactions: RGY

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we agreed to take Lucic I'd want assurances that he would waive his NMC for the expansion draft. Don't want to have to waste a protection slot on him. Not pinning my hopes on a compliance buyout.

I don't know the rules THAT well but couldn't the Rangers make that known when trading for him, that his NMC would no longer be in effect at all? I thought the acquiring team could determine whether to honor that or not

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So let's all bring it back into the circle and talk about what that might include.
Also need some context about where in the top-10? Price gets steeper every couple of steps.

Let's take Buffalo for instance. Kreider and next year's first?

Have to be honest. As I feel that despite everyone's' jubilation, next year's team may still be well competing for the bottom 5, I detest the thought of giving away a 2020 first.

Edmonton? Hard to guage. Maybe the Rangers need to take a Luccic back, give up Jets 1st, the Rangers early 2nd and possibly the 31st if Tampa wins. Not loving that either as that is A LOT of assets to give away.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That’s the point...it’s quality over quantity with the opportunity to get a potential 1B center. I think Gorton is prepared to pay a price to get the player he wants. Maybe Skjei is too much...make it Pionk Instead.
I'm on the quality over quantity boat as well. Getting the second overall has really "afforded" us a little more rope in terms of not overpaying to get back in the top 10 because we now know we should have a legit elite first line winger in the pipeline. I just don't wanna overpay to get back into the top 10.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know the rules THAT well but couldn't the Rangers make that known when trading for him, that his NMC would no longer be in effect at all? I thought the acquiring team could determine whether to honor that or not

They can choose not to honor his NMC, but that's not something that really happens as it leaves the player pretty vulnerable. He's unable to be waived or assigned to the minors without his consent if he has it. One thing to waive for NY, but it's quite another to waive and end up in Hartford.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Okay, so a brief television timeout here.

No one is giving up anyone, or approaching this particular conversation looking to clear out everyone over the age of 26.

The conversation is that the Rangers are interested in a second top 10 pick.

In order to do get said pick, the cost is going to be high.

So knowing that the cost is going to be high, what potentially meets that price. (Because we aren't sending Pionk and a second to a team).

You've said it, if we can leap from from the Winnipeg pick to 14 and then into the top 10... that's one thing. It's another to take the #20ish and make that jump.

Edmonton, even without this new rumor about US kids, needs to get going. Their major issues are cap and secondary scoring.

Kreider is cheap and a producer but he isn't under long term control. Skjei is too much cap. I'm at a loss here. Buchnevich? A position of strength for us.

ADA is the other thought if we are talking Ranger's depth, club control, production. Does the talent and RHD element outweigh the question marks enough to tip the scales?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They can choose not to honor his NMC, but that's not something that really happens as it leaves the player pretty vulnerable. He's unable to be waived or assigned to the minors without his consent if he has it. One thing to waive for NY, but it's quite another to waive and end up in Hartford.

I wonder if there is a way to negotiate that with the player prior to the deal. The Rangers promise not to demote him to the AHL but in return, they ask for a 10 team list of teams he can be traded to at the start of every year. Or something like that. I would venture a guess that Milan would LOVE to get out of Edmonton

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I thought you could only choose not to honor an NMC if it hasn't gone into effect yet, like when Stepan got traded to Phx, Richards to LA and Carter to CBJ.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm not a fan, particularly in the teens.

I don't think the higher end talent is there, and I see a player who is older and bigger than a lot of his competition. Not an inspiring combination when we start talking about the top half of a strong first round.
I can understand the age factor. Just like his combination of being center with real size and RH shot. I guess if we got TB pick and he was still there (which I doubt) I would look into making him an option.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My proposal to Edmonton would be

Kreider(4.46M), Jets 1st (have to wait to see where it lands)

Will take back Brodziak(1.15) and Manning (2.25) = ~3.4M

For 2019 #8

Edmonton gets Kreider for an increase of ~1.6M in cap hit. (May be for only 1 year, maybe they extend, maybe the sell him next deadline, maybe they self rent)

They stay in the first round (Jets pick could be anywhere from 18-31) (of course the earlier the more value that is) (perhaps if more near #18 Edmonton sends back like a 3rd or something)

Rangers get #8

They take on two one year cap hits, they have the space and Brodziak may be able to help the kids some even if he is past it. Manning, I don't know maybe a change of scenery yet if not he ends up waived and demoted.

If some of these ranking play out as such, at #8 one of if not multiple of Turcotte, Zegras, Newhook, Boldy, Krebs, could still be there. If a team or two pulls an off the board, or goes goalie, even better as maybe even expands the choices.

On Edmonton's side they move down in the range where Robertson, McMichael, Harley, Poulin, Leason are, none of which are committed to NCAA.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Some want to trade everyone. It doesnt end here. Its never enough. Some value having draft picks than an actual roster next season. Their pitch is we can just add a cheap vet. Great a cheap vet so the team can still get dominated every night still and we create a losing culture. A team that cant compete and possess the puck so our young players can grow, can have space on the ice to display their talents. Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov. Great for their development to lose most of the season and be smothered out there.

Re-Sign Kreider. Keep Skjei. Draft who you will with the picks you have after Kakko. Stock up the cupboard with a ton of kids and eventually some will blossom to continually filter in every year in the bottom 6 on ELCs as TBL has been doing.
That is how its done...getting a Kakko or Hughes should allow us to follow your point even more.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I thought you could only choose not to honor an NMC if it hasn't gone into effect yet, like when Stepan got traded to Phx, Richards to LA and Carter to CBJ.

I think the team acquiring the player signs an addendum that acknowledges that they agree to the clause. Otherwise it can be nullified. My legalese is a bit Rusty though so I might be wrong.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I wonder if there is a way to negotiate that with the player prior to the deal. The Rangers promise not to demote him to the AHL but in return, they ask for a 10 team list of teams he can be traded to at the start of every year. Or something like that. I would venture a guess that Milan would LOVE to get out of Edmonton

I don't think so because that's restructuring of the contract, which is a no-no according to the CBA.

Reactions: NYR Viper

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wouldn’t be shocked to see Chicago take him at 3.
Love Byram but I would be surprised. Probably thinking of it too straight forward but I think the Wings will grab him. I mean who couldn't use a Byram but have feeling the Hawks would like one of those forwards at #3 and go with their already nice looking prospect pool on the blue line.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Please! No trading of our first in 2020! None at all. That pick will be a top 10 pick and will hopefully be the last high pick we have before we start to trend up. Plus maybe we have generated a little lotto luck and we win the top 3 lotto again next year ;)

Reactions: egelband

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Exactly. Edmonton fans are hell bent on getting a top six winger with the pick, but they really need NHL bodies everywhere.

Buchnevich would fit the bill of a potential top 6 winger. But considering how terrible they are at drafting, giving them cap relief and a lot of young depth would certainly benefit them greatly.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad