GDT: Draft 2024 @ 4pm PT, ESPN, ESPN+

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whom you want us to pick?

• Silayev

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Demidov

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Sennecke

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Buium

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Yakemchuck

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
Fowler played the 14th most TOI/G angst all players in the league. I think it’s rational to think him doing that two years running when he’s ideally a 2nd pairing defenseman was a likely reason. Every other defenseman last year had their play suffer when their minutes went over about 18-19, so…
Statistics are not as reliable as one's own eyeballs. This isn' the Bob Murray era when he just put a Band-Aid over our shortcomings and hoped they'd fix themselves. Verbeek is in attack mode here, and despite our understandable allegiance to our legends, Fowler isn't good enough anymore.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Agreed, but I prefer baby steps rather than throwing them in the deep end of the pool. I don’t think any of them belong in a top pairing this year, and I believe that rushing defensemen can ruin them.

This. Fowler is also not meant for the minutes he gets but it's better to burn him out then the young players. Fowler's entire role right now is to insulate the young players. It was so obvious last season that none of the younger players were ready for his minutes.

Statistics are not as reliable as one's own eyeballs. This isn' the Bob Murray era when he just put a Band-Aid over our shortcomings and hoped they'd fix themselves. Verbeek is in attack mode here, and despite our understandable allegiance to our legends, Fowler isn't good enough anymore.

But Mintyukov, LaCombe, Zellweger, Luneau Vaakanainen are good enough? None of them are ready yet. The only way trading Fowler works next season is if you trade him for a legitimate upgrade and grab another defenseman for the right side. However, nothing PV has done has indicated that is his path.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
But it kind of is a big deal. You can't just hit a button and your excess LD becomes a RD or RW.

In reality, those top line players are rarely available. Drysdale for Gauthier trades rarely happen and even in that case it took him forcing PHI to trade him.

For example, let's say you have a 1LD, and the team needs a 1RD. You draft the another 1LD with the intention of trading one of the excess LD for 1RD. What if that player isn't available? Now you are trading the LD for a 2RD + a pick to make up the value. That's cool, but the team didn't need a 2RD, they needed a 1RD. You could've just drafted the 1RD.

Obviously if the talent difference is huge, you don't take a guy based on need. But if it's a toss up who is going to be better, take the guy you need. If you're building a team through the draft, at some point you have to consider team needs.
I would argue that the need for a bona fide 1D trumps any handedness issue. I think your point makes sense if the guy you’re adding is on the level of the guys you have but I really don’t think that’s the case here. There also isn’t likely to be a major RHD to make this much of an argument, so I don’t really get the angst.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
One thing to note, Manson went for a 2nd and average prospect. Toews went for 2 2nd rounders. Forsling (who @BringBackTheIceman just mentioned) was a waiver pickup (I think?). Ducks can potentially fill these gaps for less than a top pick. The question is, can Verbeek and his staff find these value players and will be pull the trigger on the deals?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
But it kind of is a big deal. You can't just hit a button and your excess LD becomes a RD or RW.

In reality, those top line players are rarely available. Drysdale for Gauthier trades rarely happen and even in that case it took him forcing PHI to trade him.

For example, let's say you have a 1LD, and the team needs a 1RD. You draft the another 1LD with the intention of trading one of the excess LD for 1RD. What if that player isn't available? Now you are trading the LD for a 2RD + a pick to make up the value. That's cool, but the team didn't need a 2RD, they needed a 1RD. You could've just drafted the 1RD.

Obviously if the talent difference is huge, you don't take a guy based on need. But if it's a toss up who is going to be better, take the guy you need. If you're building a team through the draft, at some point you have to consider team needs.
We have no idea if our scouts have it as a toss up

Maybe our scouts have Buium as the 2nd best player in the draft

And most of the arguments are for LHD saliyev vs LHD buium.

We dont even know if demidov was realistically in the conversation.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I see a lot of people say Verbeek won't draft someone if their under 6'2". Is that a quote from him? Where did that come from?
In his first draft, all of the players he picked were 6' 1" or taller. It's honestly just speculation that started around that draft.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My question for all the Zeev fans. If he’s the #1 ranked defenseman 2 way Norris caliber player that you all fantasize about... why isn’t Chicago taking him and instead rumored to be locked in on Lev.

Couldnt you say that about silayev or demidov too?

If silayev is so great, why isnt he in the conversation at 1 or 2? If demidov is as much as a game changer as demidov fans say, why not trade down from 3 and get a haul for the obvious 2nd best game changer in the draft?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
My question for all the Zeev fans. If he’s the #1 ranked defenseman 2 way Norris caliber player that you all fantasize about... why isn’t Chicago taking him and instead rumored to be locked in on Lev.
Why are you acting like that's a measure of anything? Columbus was locked in on Ryan Murray at 2. NYI was locked in on Griffin Reinhart.

How'd that go?

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
My question for all the Zeev fans. If he’s the #1 ranked defenseman 2 way Norris caliber player that you all fantasize about... why isn’t Chicago taking him and instead rumored to be locked in on Lev. Surely they both can’t be the best.
Zeev wouldn't be my pick but I think this is a silly argument, GM's pass on consensus better players for the ones they like more every year

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Zeev isn't small but he isn't bigger either.
If 6'2 is considered good size and 5'10/5'11is considered small, than 6'0 to 6'1 is at least average.

Who chicago picks shouldn't be important, look at 2022 Chicago reached for Korchinski when Mintyukov & Jiricek were there. I still take Mintyukov over Muffin shot Korchinski.
Chicago is also the team that took Dach over Seider, Zegras, Caufield and Boldy. Chicago picking Lev doesn't change my opinion.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Or, Levshunov is actually the better prospect and he's just going to be gone by the time the Ducks pick.

Or, Levshunov is of similar caliber to Buium (or slightly less), but Chicago values the size and ceiling more than skating and hockey sense and floor.

I like Buium. I also like Silayev and Demidov and Lindstrom and Dickinson and Iginla and Sennecke, all for different reasons. I'm cool with any of those (and even some others besides). Mostly I'm just frustrated at people who insist on being angry if the Ducks pick Buium because he's a 6-foot left hander. I think that anger is misplaced.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
Why are you acting like that's a measure of anything? Columbus was locked in on Ryan Murray at 2. NYI was locked in on Griffin Reinhart.

How'd that go?
I don’t even dislike the player. It was a genuine question… he’s not my pick but I hate how everyone here is so matter of fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad