Friedman: Don't be surprised if the Marner situation plays out over the season

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Has to be said, Dreger was simping HARD for the Marner camp the last time they negotiated. So this is their side of the story.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I know my fanbase. We are sick of him and his Diva BS. Non leaf fans not showered with the media of it don't get it. And yes, it is quite different than literally any other player how his agent uses the media.
Yup. It was super damming when Friedman the other day said Keefe had to handle Marner gently because of his fragile ego/thin skin compared to Matthews/Nylander

Get this overpaid clown off the team

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If they re-sign Marner, I would really like to know if they are expecting him to turn over a new leaf (no pun intended) or is it more like: We gave him an NMC and shot ourselves in the foot. Since we can't trade him, lets just shoot ourselves in the other foot and re-sign him to another long term contract.

Marner is in his rights to make full use of the NMC, but I don't know why a player would want to be on a team which does not want him anymore. Maybe just have a honest conversation with him and let him know that he is not going to be re-signed but the Leafs can offer him a fresh start 1 year earlier and go somewhere where he is wanted. Marner may be an ass but I feel like the Leafs management is enabling him.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Yup. It was super damming when Friedman the other day said Keefe had to handle Marner gently because of his fragile ego/thin skin compared to Matthews/Nylander

Get this overpaid clown off the team

Yup. Dude is so soft and yet is trying to pretend he is good to play out the year with all the noise and leave as a UFA. Yeah right, he would have a nervous breakdown before that happened. This is the same guy who feels pressure and panics and puts the puck over the glass then starts crying in the penalty box. He gets told to quit crying by Nylander and has a temper tantrum and throws his gloves.

If they re-sign Marner, I would really like to know if they are expecting him to turn over a new leaf (no pun intended) or is it more like: We gave him an NMC and shot ourselves in the foot. Since we can't trade him, lets just shoot ourselves in the other foot and re-sign him to another long term contract.

Marner is in his rights to make full use of the NMC, but I don't know why a player would want to be on a team which does not want him anymore. Maybe just have a honest conversation with him and let him know that he is not going to be re-signed but the Leafs can offer him a fresh start 1 year earlier and go somewhere where he is wanted. Marner may be an ass but I feel like the Leafs management is enabling him.

Marner isn't worth his current cap hit, and he will want a raise and term. I would offer him the Nylander contract I think that is pretty fair with the cap rising and manageable. If this nonsense Kyperoes is putting out there of them wanting 13+ is true, fire whoever in management suggests paying him that.

Reactions: JKG33

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yup. Dude is so soft and yet is trying to pretend he is good to play out the year with all the noise and leave as a UFA. Yeah right, he would have a nervous breakdown before that happened. This is the same guy who feels pressure and panics and puts the puck over the glass then starts crying in the penalty box. He gets told to quit crying by Nylander and has a temper tantrum and throws his gloves.

Marner isn't worth his current cap hit, and he will want a raise and term. I would offer him the Nylander contract I think that is pretty fair with the cap rising and manageable. If this nonsense Kyperoes is putting out there of them wanting 13+ is true, fire whoever in management suggests paying him that.
My question is not really what Marner's next contract is but more if management wants him back. Even if he re-signs for $11.5M, is he the type of player to invest in? Do you want to give him an NMC again?

Most of the Leafs fans agree that his last contract was a bad one, right? So are they ok with Leaf's management piggybacking on that bad choice and making the same one again simply because they don't want Marner to walk for nothing? Wouldn't cutting your losses and walking away be easier?

Terrible situation for everyone other than Marner, really.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Year 9 of this core will definitely be different!
Dreger will endorse giving marner a raise ,then be on a panel disecting what when wrong with leafs playoffs year after year
1 of seravelli or dreher will come out of this looking like a donkey

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well that's an interesting twist and It's one that's going to piss off A LOT of Leaf fans.

Personally it doesn't piss me off because unlike a lot of Leaf fans I'm not interested in moving Marner just to move him.

I don't want picks and prospects, if he's traded I want good players back because Marner is a star, he's going to get 90+ points in a full season I'm not interested in removing that for a couple 1st round picks and a couple prospects, I want good players back.

i'm in the minority but I have no issue with him being walked to free agency it's better than trading him for magic beans

Reactions: TS Quint

Bond

May 10, 2012
Leafs are pretty stuck. They won’t get a return that justifies trading Marner and actually improves the roster but he’s playing hardball on the contract. The best thing might be to run it back and let him walk.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There is nothing wrong with signing Marner. Just don't let it be a nonsensical AAV and don't include a full NMC.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I know my fanbase. We are sick of him and his Diva BS. Non leaf fans not showered with the media of it don't get it. And yes, it is quite different than literally any other player how his agent uses the media.
Yeah I know, I know the fanbase too. Been a fan of the team for 30 years even though i'm cheering on the home team Oilers to get a cup. They wont boo him opening night when he first touches the puck. You're just overreacting, take a breather

Reactions: TS Quint

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
If I were the Leafs I'd look into traded Marner to the AVS for Nickushkin + something

Yes its a big risk but the Leafs would be getting a player who is on a cheaper deal and actually shows up in the Play Offs, if Nickuskin can be fixed I imagine that would be a win trade for the Leafs and if they can get something else in the deal it would be a win/win

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
Narrative went from less than 5% chance he’ll be back, to he’ll play the year out, and now that he’s likely to be re-signed. Sounds like they kicked the tires with a few teams and were underwhelmed by the prospective return.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
Darren Ferris’ mouthpiece is at it again negotiating in public, i’m sure he’ll get a kickback

Reactions: xECK29x

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
They just gave full NMCs to Nylander and Matthews but Marner doesn’t get one?
Correct. Everyone getting NMCs needs to end if you want to be able to build a proper team. All this "he got this so I want it too!!" is how the Leafs got to where they are.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There is nothing wrong with signing Marner. Just don't let it be a nonsensical AAV and don't include a full NMC.
Contract negotiations 101 will show you that the first one usually goes with the second. Marner isn't some secondary scorer.

He's a star forward that a lot of teams would fall over themselves to offer those bananas cap numbers with full NMCs.

Wherever he lands, he's getting paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Contract negotiations 101 well show you that the first one usually goes with the second. Marner isn't some secondary scorer.

He's a star forward that a lot of teams would fall over themselves to offer those bananas cap numbers with full NMCs.

Wherever he lands, he's getting paid.
You'd think with a stable full of star forwards that Toronto would be able to score come crunch time. Obviously some part of the equation is out of whack. I'm leaning towards the "isn't some secondary scorer" part factoring in for at least one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00