OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Now I am craving a donair....It has so have sweet stuff. Can't eat it without it. Easy to make at home too.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Really sucks that Queen Donair on Whyte got caught up in the fire that killed The Forge. Mike's Famous is alright, but not as good.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Hey guys I’m visiting, what’s best sandwich place in town?

Also is it safe to wear my Columbus jersey in downtown ?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Seriously for sandwiches this was best in category for years in Edmonton. Not sure why people are saying overpriced, lol its cheap like borscht. Plus they used to have free soup with any sandwich for first time patrons. pretty good deal really.

Avoid Farrow. The kind of hipster place that wants to charge you an extra 10bucks just for the colorful menu and decor. 5bucks more if you don't have a 5yr long beard and tattoos on your tattoos.

But hey, they hand pick and source coffee beans. A place that uses the term "Tomato Jam" for something the rest of the world calls Ketchup. That kind of place...

Last edited:

Exile of Atlantis

Mar 30, 2022
I'm in Halifax right now, and we just had Tony's (absolutely delicious). But the first thing my French-Belgian wife said was "where's the lettuce"?
The old location on the corner of Robie and Cunard? That place was good, but I probably like KoD over on Quinpool the best. Not sure if places have downtown locations anymore... used to do a brisk business on the corner by the library as all the drunks wandered out of the bars looking for greasy food to cut the liquor.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The old location on the corner of Robie and Cunard? That place was good, but I probably like KoD over on Quinpool the best. Not sure if places have downtown locations anymore... used to do a brisk business on the corner by the library as all the drunks wandered out of the bars looking for greasy food to cut the liquor.
TBH I live in a city with no donairs, so it's always a treat when we get one.

Tony's reminded me a lot of a donair we had at Blowers & Grafton on Whyte (might not be on the menu, but they made it for us). Really peppery meat grilled after shaved, and the sauce is a bit thinner and less sweet (more milky?), then toasted after.

Delicious. But not sure we'll have another donair this trip. Have reservations at Bar Kismet tomorrow and wanna go back to Bicycle Thief for lunch.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I’m sure it’s been said but Sam's Pizza & Donair on the west end makes a classic Donair. Roadrunner used to be the best in the 90s but I think they just pull meat out of a bucket now.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Firestone on Guardian Road/the Grange has very good donairs. Huge.
Pretty spicy too.
Used to love queen Donair on 156 street.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad