OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Anyone else tried Top Donair that's RIGHT next to Swiss Donair? First off, they're good enough to be a comparison to Primetime Donair, in fact I place them in the top three in the city. As well, I never get chicken donairs, however tried one at Top and it was excellent. Clean, humble, great donairs. By the way, there must be some kind of backstory that Top moved right next door to Swiss?! Will both places survive?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Anyone else tried Top Donair that's RIGHT next to Swiss Donair? First off, they're good enough to be a comparison to Primetime Donair, in fact I place them in the top three in the city. As well, I never get chicken donairs, however tried one at Top and it was excellent. Clean, humble, great donairs. By the way, there must be some kind of backstory that Top moved right next door to Swiss?! Will both places survive?

So you've switched allegiances?

:shakehead

I live right in the area, and I haven't gone to Top yet. I asked the lady at Swiss about Top, and she said the family talked to them and said they were wasting their time.

I did hear from another turncoat friend of mine that said Top was actually really really really good.

I might just try them out.

:D

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
Sad to hear swiss has gone downhill.

My top 3 were Swiss, primetime and Simon king. Now I live in riverbend and don't have any of them nearby really. I do stop for a Simon king after a good lifting session at the gym though. Need that protein and calories, no tastier way to do it either.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I literally just finished the girlfriends large Primetime from last night she couldn't finish. Mmmm Breakfast. Open HF and this was bumped.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Went to Queen on North side 50 st last night. Still awesome, same great owners, both them and there kids still work there. Support a great local business that has been there like 30 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I heard from multiple donair enthusiasts that Swiss donair is the best they've ever had. I've yet to try it. Anyone else confirm this?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I heard from multiple donair enthusiasts that Swiss donair is the best they've ever had. I've yet to try it. Anyone else confirm this?

It's been confirmed quite a few times here.

Not sure where the going downhill thing came from a few posts up.

Swiss and Richards donair are my 2 favorites...but I haven't been to Richards in a couple of years.

Looks like meat is back on the menu boys!

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

Swiss and Richards donair are my 2 favorites...but I haven't been to Richards in a couple of years.

Definitely a lot of people's fave for sure. But not mine. And I used to eat there quite regularly.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You guys should check out more subs on the southside on 50th street by the lumber jacks on roper road. The most mouth melting donair you'll ever have.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Marco's Famous and Swiss are my favourites right now. But nothing currently beats old Charles Smart on 82ave and 91st. Too bad its gone.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Swiss went downhill when they became complacent. And they hired too many. It's like they knew they were good so to cut costs, get by with the least.

TOP donair [shop next to swiss] - I tried it out yesterday. Tastes exactly like Swiss IMO but cheaper by a buck or so and the veggies tasted fresher. It was one dude running the whole place when I went yesterday.

And any place is better than Eddies Donair near Lakeview.

Any place.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Swiss went downhill when they became complacent. And they hired too many. It's like they knew they were good so to cut costs, get by with the least.

TOP donair [shop next to swiss] - I tried it out yesterday. Tastes exactly like Swiss IMO but cheaper by a buck or so and the veggies tasted fresher. It was one dude running the whole place when I went yesterday.

And any place is better than Eddies Donair near Lakeview.

Any place.

Interesting about Swiss. They do have allot of people working there.

i've tried Eddie's...wasn't too crazy about them at all. Eddie seemed a bit cocky for my taste.

I'll be trying Top this week.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Swiss, Primetime are pretty stellar still in my opinion.

Anyone tried Simply Donairs on 50st and Capilano? I think it's amongst the best I've had. I think they might have a St. Albert location as well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Interesting about Swiss. They do have allot of people working there.

i've tried Eddie's...wasn't too crazy about them at all. Eddie seemed a bit cocky for my taste.

I'll be trying Top this week.

Yep. And the best part? it wasn't even good:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad