OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Any recommendations for the West End? I've tried Lynnwood Donair, Chomps, Mr. Donair and Roadrunner in the past.

Lynnwood Donair
Roadrunner
Mr. Donair/Chomps

is how I'd rank the one's I've tried.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto

Not the same thing.

There are only a handful of places in the world that make the delicious sandwich made from the Donair animal. The delicate balance of grease, spice, beef, and sugary white sauce is unique to Alberta, Halifax, and Ottawa.

In Toronto, we have gyros, doner, and shawarma - none of these are the same thing!

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
How is donair pizza generally? What is on it?

Donair meat, donair sauce, cheese, tomato and onions in my experience but I always get it without onion and tomato. I always get it from one certain place that my friends showed me, so I can't comment on all donair pizza, but I love the stuff I've had.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Any recommendations for the West End? I've tried Lynnwood Donair, Chomps, Mr. Donair and Roadrunner in the past.

Lynnwood Donair
Roadrunner
Mr. Donair/Chomps

is how I'd rank the one's I've tried.

I love Nikki's in Westmount mall. Love, love it. The pitas are fresh as hell, it's good quality meat well-cooked (not that over-spiced blocks of brown you get in so many other places), and his homemade tzatziki sauce is dynamite: thick and garlicky. I'm always surprised it doesn't get more love here - "Nikki" takes such pride in his work.

I haven't been home in a few years. Man, I hope it's still there (and still rockin' the donair).

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I love Nikki's in Westmount mall. Love, love it. The pitas are fresh as hell, it's good quality meat well-cooked (not that over-spiced blocks of brown you get in so many other places), and his homemade tzatziki sauce is dynamite: thick and garlicky. I'm always surprised it doesn't get more love here - "Nikki" takes such pride in his work.

I haven't been home in a few years. Man, I hope it's still there (and still rockin' the donair).

I know a dude that works in a donair joint in westmount. I'm assuming it's Nikki's. He had a good story about the owner bringing in a whole lamb for thanksgiving one year. Haven't tried it yet, but I just might today.

Well...I got a super at Nikki's. Haven't eaten it yet, but it looks pretty damned good. A lady in front of me ordered the medium poutine and it was friggin enormous. Looked like it could feed 4 people quite easily.

Damned...what a fantastic donair at Nikki's in Westmount. Definitely one of the better ones I've had. The meat was definitely not beef....had to be lamb or something. Delicious.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Against my better judgement I went to Brentwood Donair and Pizza in Sherwood Park. What a total mistake. I ordered the chicken donair and told the guy I didn't want the banana peppers on it. I get home and it is stone cold. They didn't bother to cook the chicken. I chicken strips looked like they came out of a package as they were all the same exact size. Zeki sauce was salty. Epic fail. I will stick to Donair Stop by Capilano and save my stomach.

I had a chicken one from Donair Stop last week, haven't had a chicken donair for awhile. It was awful, chicken was dry and hard as a rock. Was there last night though and had regular donair and was satisfied fully.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Just tried Lynnwood donair on the west end.

Oh my.

Stupidly got a super which I came nowhere close to finishing, but it was pretty damn good.

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007
Just tried Lynnwood donair on the west end.

Oh my.

Stupidly got a super which I came nowhere close to finishing, but it was pretty damn good.

I think Kamil prides himself on this. The supers are roughly the size of a CFL football, so so so good.

Did you try his fries in your meal? They too cant be beat.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think Kamil prides himself on this. The supers are roughly the size of a CFL football, so so so good.

Did you try his fries in your meal? They too cant be beat.

Yeah got some fries too.

Fighting off a slight food coma right now. :handclap:

dixs35

Jan 26, 2010
E-town
Finally moved back to Edmonton. Went to Von's for the first time in 4 years, they still have the best prime rib in town. Just awesome with the fresh horseradish. Also had pizza at The Rock they have great thin crust pizza the rest of the menu is pretty meh.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I had a chicken one from Donair Stop last week, haven't had a chicken donair for awhile. It was awful, chicken was dry and hard as a rock. Was there last night though and had regular donair and was satisfied fully.

Thats the problem with chicken donairs. Unless its like super fresh, 99% of the time, its just this dry fibrous "thing" inside

Terrifyer

Oct 9, 2013
Amean Donair on 99th st & 34th ave is also excellent. I love High Voltage's donairs though, so take that with a grain of salt if need be.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I know a dude that works in a donair joint in westmount. I'm assuming it's Nikki's. He had a good story about the owner bringing in a whole lamb for thanksgiving one year. Haven't tried it yet, but I just might today.

Well...I got a super at Nikki's. Haven't eaten it yet, but it looks pretty damned good. A lady in front of me ordered the medium poutine and it was friggin enormous. Looked like it could feed 4 people quite easily.

Damned...what a fantastic donair at Nikki's in Westmount. Definitely one of the better ones I've had. The meat was definitely not beef....had to be lamb or something. Delicious.

Haha. I've been checking your updates waiting for your verdict. I'm glad you liked it. I'm also glad it's still there and doing God's work. I'll probably make a bee-line from the airport the next time I'm in town.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Funny enough, I don't I've ever had donair before... Maybe on a drunken stupor? :laugh:

What's the best place on the south side? And what meat is the best? I'm a big lamb and chicken fan, but apparently chicken isn't a good choice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad