Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

You would think a guy who is supposedly so selfish and has really bad character traits wouldn’t give so much of his time to the community and wouldn’t represent the club at those events right?!? Him and Max are really good at that.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I see, Dr.

A google search….
Most bone bruises slowly heal over 1 to 2 months. A larger bone bruise may take longer to heal. You may not be able to return to sports activities for weeks or months. If your symptoms don't go away, your healthcare provider may give you an MRI.

To be specific, it was ahigh ankle sprain not a bone bruise but the timelines to heal are similar, TBH when I had my ankle sprain it was 6 to 8 months before I felt normal again.

Maybe he gets traded off his golf team and that will satiate the angry mob?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This Marner injury stuff is pure forum narrative. He was injured during the regular season and came back for the playoffs. I'll buy that he was still suffering from some of the effects, but he was healthy enough to play and frankly, he didn't look any better or worse than he has in the last five years (with the exception of games 1-4 against Tampa last year). High ankle sprains really suck, I know how long it took to recover from mine, but they aren't so bad that they go back in time.

He didn't chicken out of an empty net goal because his ankle was limiting his edgework. I have no edges to speak of and I could have put that puck in the net with the time he had. To be as charitable as possible, he made a zero-confidence play, and the entire series with the exception of his one dazzling goal, was a zero-confidence series. If that's what he plays like when he's recovering, that's still a knock on the player. And it STILL doesn't explain why he was awful against Montreal and Florida.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This Marner injury stuff is pure forum narrative. He was injured during the regular season and came back for the playoffs. I'll buy that he was still suffering from some of the effects, but he was healthy enough to play and frankly, he didn't look any better or worse than he has in the last five years (with the exception of games 1-4 against Tampa last year). High ankle sprains really suck, I know how long it took to recover from mine, but they aren't so bad that they go back in time.

He didn't chicken out of an empty net goal because his ankle was limiting his edgework. I have no edges to speak of and I could have put that puck in the net with the time he had. To be as charitable as possible, he made a zero-confidence play, and the entire series with the exception of his one dazzling goal, was a zero-confidence series. If that's what he plays like when he's recovering, that's still a knock on the player. And it STILL doesn't explain why he was awful against Montreal and Florida.
They brought him back several games before the playoffs. If it was actually a problem, they'd have rested him until game 1.

In the end season presser when they went over injuries, they literally mentioned nothing about Marner's injury or it lingering.

In fact even in the drama driven media, very little was said about it.

It's just another pathetic excuse.

You would think a guy who is supposedly so selfish and has really bad character traits wouldn’t give so much of his time to the community and wouldn’t represent the club at those events right?!? Him and Max are really good at that.
Just like Mike Babcock! The selective virtue signalling is pretty funny too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They brought him back several games before the playoffs. If it was actually a problem, they'd have rested him until game 1.

In the end season presser when they went over injuries, they literally mentioned nothing about Marner's injury or it lingering.

After 8 yrs I still question his ability to play in those hard playoff games.

I fully expect him to play well at the four nations just because it’s more suited to his game.
On the other hand, If he looks disinterested in that tourney, then what?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

That Marner or the team never said anything about it is really the telling part. These players and this team always make the excuse whenever they can, and injuries have always been the one that reasonable fans generally agree is an acceptable answer. Absolutely nothing about Marner's health, but I guess on the forums we're at the point of examining pictures and extrapolating that into narratives that are "well established" or whatever. He might have whacked his leg climbing into that fancy Sea-Doo of his for all we know.

High ankle sprains really do suck, but forum posters diagnosing the lingering effects and drawing extrapolations from said effects is basically conspiracy theory posting.

After 8 yrs I still question his ability to play in those hard playoff games.

I fully expect him to play well at the four nations just because it’s more suited to his game.
On the other hand, If he looks disinterested in that tourney, then what?
Then it means he's still feeling the effects of his high ankle sprain, don't'cha'know he's injured?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That Marner or the team never said anything about it is really the telling part. These players and this team always make the excuse whenever they can, and injuries have always been the one that reasonable fans generally agree is an acceptable answer. Absolutely nothing about Marner's health, but I guess on the forums we're at the point of examining pictures and extrapolating that into narratives that are "well established" or whatever. He might have whacked his leg climbing into that fancy Sea-Doo of his for all we know.

High ankle sprains really do suck, but forum posters diagnosing the lingering effects and drawing extrapolations from said effects is basically conspiracy theory posting.
Not to mention the “bruise” travelled up his leg.

Reactions: IPS and LeafGrief

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Then it means he's still feeling the effects of his high ankle sprain, don't'cha'know he's injured?
They were all flying around trying to get #70. We saw 2+ minute shifts……..which could explain why they were silent on injuries.

Reactions: IPS and LeafGrief

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I know you, Franky, Confused-Is-Us and Hello Kitty will be there throwing rose petals down at Mitchy's feet to pad his path. If you genuflect just right maybe he'll even let you kiss his Memorial Cup Ring...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Fair post.

I think he does not produce in the playoffs at a high pace like he does in the regular season, is quite simply better team, better systems , better opposing coaching. His game is fancy dancy high risk high reward type plays, when you play against Veznia goalies and Norris type defenders every night, you wont expose those players with fancy plays like you would against team with lower calibre type players. He is still a PPG over the last three playoff years but still not nearly as good as his regular season pace.

I know you, Franky, Confused-Is-Us and Hello Kitty will be there throwing rose petals down at Mitchy's feet to pad his path. If you genuflect just right maybe he'll even let you kiss his Memorial Cup Ring...

Oh fun you're going to be there?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
When was that conversation with Berube anyway? So that long after the injury but the bruising/swelling never went down?

You don't have to be a doctor to know that's completely and utterly ridiculous.
Even if you are a doctor, you can’t DX based on a grainy picture.

Maybe he was injured, who knows, but they have 8 yrs of failure so it’s difficult to give them the benefit of doubt.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m sure he has a selfish reason for being there. Must be something in it for him. Domi is probably there to police the event so Marners robbing from the needy doesn’t get out of hand.

To be specific, it was ahigh ankle sprain not a bone bruise but the timelines to heal are similar, TBH when I had my ankle sprain it was 6 to 8 months before I felt normal again.

Maybe he gets traded off his golf team and that will satiate the angry mob?
I don’t think his injury affected his playoff performance. I was told he was “ok to play” fwiw.

He’s a terrible golfer so he may get bench if it’s a serious event

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not to mention the “bruise” travelled up his leg.

That’s what happens with a high ankle sprain man lol. It’s called a high ankle sprain for a reason. Usually it’s not just the ankle that’s impacted, but calf as well. The pain from a high ankle sprain radiates up your leg.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I don’t care whether Mitch is a leaf or not. I’ve had other favourite players that have been traded or left the team. I’ve been just fine. I do think the narrative being pushed on this board is outrageous though. I personally blame every player on this team equally and I know what you’re gonna say. “We aren’t blaming Mitch alone” yeah a bunch of you are. That’s what the last 3 Mitch Marner threads have literally been about.

I’m not against trading Mitch or moving on from him, but I don’t think it’s gonna solve anything unless the way the team as a whole plays changes. I don’t think it’s a personnel issue as much as it is a systems issue. Them losing Game 7’s points to it being more of a systems issue too. So we’ll see how this year goes.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That’s what happens with a high ankle sprain man lol. It’s called a high ankle sprain for a reason. Usually it’s not just the ankle that’s impacted, but calf as well. The pain from a high ankle sprain radiates up your leg.
First hit from google for High Ankle Sprain

"High ankle sprains do not typically cause a great degree of swelling or bruising"

I had bruising on the top of my foot for a few days, that's it. The pain absolutely does radiate up into the calf and lower leg, but there was zero bruising or even swelling above the ankle (ankle was swollen only for a few days immediately post injury). I had a grade 2 (partial tearing of ligaments), which is probably similar to what Marner had, considering how quickly he came back. A grade 3 (full ligament rupture) would have been the end of his season.

Hellcat indicates that he had calf bruising from his ankle sprain and some other google hits indicate that you can get some swelling and bruising up the leg, but I think it is fair to assume that this would have been gone by the time he returned to play (much less be photographed weeks after the playoffs). I argue that it's highly unlikely that the sort of sprain where he'd have bruising for so long after would have been possible to play through.
Fair post.

I think he does not produce in the playoffs at a high pace like he does in the regular season, is quite simply better team, better systems , better opposing coaching. His game is fancy dancy high risk high reward type plays, when you play against Veznia goalies and Norris type defenders every night, you wont expose those players with fancy plays like you would against team with lower calibre type players. He is still a PPG over the last three playoff years but still not nearly as good as his regular season pace.
He scored 9 points in 7 against Boston when he was a sophomore, and lit Tampa up for big points to start last year. Good defensive players and systems stifle offense, Marner wasn't matched up against Bergeron when he got 9, but I think that the reason many of us are so angry with Marner is that we see the talent is there. His problems have way less to do with his ankles, his style, or his opponent, and are almost entirely between his ears.

He doesn't produce in the playoffs because the pressure throws him off his game, which destroys his confidence. He's borderline unplayable in critical playoff games, and puts up numbers in the first few games of a series. Opposing players and goalies are as good as they are in game one as they are in game seven, while Marner falls further and further. IMO, there's nothing about his "style" as a player that can't succeed in the playoffs, the only thing holding him back is himself.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Uhhhh ok now do playoffs

I don’t really see how posting this adds anything to the discussion..
Such a stale talking point. I find it hard to criticize Marner when he has produced the most in the post season out of the core 4.

"Marner: 54 GP 49 PTS Matthews: 54 GP 47 PTS Tavares: 59 GP 45 PTS Nylander: 51 GP 40 PTS Rielly: 54 GP 38 PTS"

He has sucked but somehow managed to out produce the highest goal scorer and former Hart winner Matthews and midol-less Nylander who has been good lately but he doesn't exactly play a well rounded game.. Tavares has been an anchor in the top 6 for time and no one wants to be real about it and sugar coat his clutch moments and "going to the dirty areas in the trenches" even though he's a terrible slow forechecker and can't throw a hit if his life depended on it. But ok keep up the chatter.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

"High ankle sprains do not typically cause a great degree of swelling or bruising"

I had bruising on the top of my foot for a few days, that's it. The pain absolutely does radiate up into the calf and lower leg, but there was zero bruising or even swelling above the ankle (ankle was swollen only for a few days immediately post injury). I had a grade 2 (partial tearing of ligaments), which is probably similar to what Marner had, considering how quickly he came back. A grade 3 (full ligament rupture) would have been the end of his season.

Hellcat indicates that he had calf bruising from his ankle sprain and some other google hits indicate that you can get some swelling and bruising up the leg, but I think it is fair to assume that this would have been gone by the time he returned to play (much less be photographed weeks after the playoffs). I argue that it's highly unlikely that the sort of sprain where he'd have bruising for so long after would have been possible to play through.

He scored 9 points in 7 against Boston when he was a sophomore, and lit Tampa up for big points to start last year. Good defensive players and systems stifle offense, Marner wasn't matched up against Bergeron when he got 9, but I think that the reason many of us are so angry with Marner is that we see the talent is there. His problems have way less to do with his ankles, his style, or his opponent, and are almost entirely between his ears.

He doesn't produce in the playoffs because the pressure throws him off his game, which destroys his confidence. He's borderline unplayable in critical playoff games, and puts up numbers in the first few games of a series. Opposing players and goalies are as good as they are in game one as they are in game seven, while Marner falls further and further. IMO, there's nothing about his "style" as a player that can't succeed in the playoffs, the only thing holding him back is himself.

Bruising is probably dependent on different factors. How trauma occurred, maybe even force or velocity of trauma and if other muscles ligaments were also injured in combination with the high ankle sprain. So you could be right. I just know the pain is crazy and goes from ankle to leg. Either way I don’t think it had a huge impact on his play either. And if it did, it wasn’t noticeable. I’m sure he wasn’t 100% but he was good enough to play so it can’t be used as an excuse at the end of the day.

Reactions: LeafGrief

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I will also agree that Marner’s issue much like the rest of the leafs is mental. They have a mental block in the playoffs that’s unexplainable, it’s almost like they expect to lose. They tense up in game 7’s and everything looks and feels forced.

I do think a small part of that is because Keefe’s system wasn’t structured, it was basically do whatever you need to do to get out of the zone, then regroup for possession. Having a non-structured system like that is disastrous for a team that is not strong mentally, honestly. You leave too much room for error and over thinking for a group that is already fragile. This summer I re-watched the series against Boston. A lot of the games we lost were off complete bonehead turnovers in the defensive zone, we failed to clear the puck and it ended up in the back of our net. Our best games were when we had a strong breakout and strong defensive structure and when that failed Woll or Samsonov came up with a big save.

Teams with structure just win!

I’m hoping with structure we see a more confident team, a team that plays a more direct attacking, forechecking style of hockey. My biggest hope is Berube ends the Matthews/Marner line because we saw having them split is better for us.

Reactions: bax and LeafGrief

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Such a stale talking point. I find it hard to criticize Marner when he has produced the most in the post season out of the core 4.

"Marner: 54 GP 49 PTS Matthews: 54 GP 47 PTS Tavares: 59 GP 45 PTS Nylander: 51 GP 40 PTS Rielly: 54 GP 38 PTS"

He has sucked but somehow managed to out produce the highest goal scorer and former Hart winner Matthews and midol-less Nylander who has been good lately but he doesn't exactly play a well rounded game.. Tavares has been an anchor in the top 6 for time and no one wants to be real about it and sugar coat his clutch moments and "going to the dirty areas in the trenches" even though he's a terrible slow forechecker and can't throw a hit if his life depended on it. But ok keep up the chatter.
Frankly, all four have sucked in the playoffs. It is why running it back will never work. It is f***ing sad that it will take a few more years before they finally admit it. Hell it took 5 years for Shanny and co. to figure out that Dubas and Keefe were not it and even then they extended Keefe and were about to extend Dubas. This cash cow will never win a SC. Sorry, the proof is in the pudding. We are not here to sell jerseys. My ass, Peddie.

Hard to believe @Trapper was right after the presser when he said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

My ankle had swelling for over a week, my Dr told me I would have been better off if I broke it. Bruising often comes from swelling, the body is kinda cool, I was told it swells to embolize an injury, based on that and the bruise he had from the top of his calf to the bottom, I would guess there was swelling at one point. It's a funny injury, when I was able to walk without crutches, it would all of a sudden flare up and send shooting pains through my leg, for no reason. I have no doubt that taping would have been super uncomfortable and and the skate would have put pressure on the bruise. I have no idea how it affected Marner, if it affected him at all. It would make sense that it did but who knows maybe he has a high pain threshold and was able to play through it.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Frankly, all four have sucked in the playoffs. It is why running it back will never work. It is f***ing sad that it will take a few more years before they finally admit it. Hell it took 5 years for Shanny and co. to figure out that Dubas and Keefe were not it and even then they extended Keefe and were about to extend Dubas. This cash cow will never win a SC. Sorry, the proof is in the pudding. We are not here to sell jerseys. My ass, Peddie.
It's just not the right mix of playing styles. Marner and Matthews have at least attempted to round out their games and be more two way. Nylander blows the zone like he's at the Olympic speed skating trials. He rarely does his job in our end and never catches a shred of flak for it. He is a solid player and competes but I am not happy with him sometimes when he chooses to float when hes in one of his moods.

Tavares is the biggest mistake our club has made in decades.

Matthews is the man don't fk with Papi. His failures are on those around him not from his lack of ability IMO. It is what it is.

Screenshot_2024-08-09-19-54-54~2.png

I'm just psyched to see how all 4 will perform under Berube now that the Dubas/Keefe era is officially over.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3