Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree with most of this, but see one big difference. Mitch doesn't get out of the zone early, opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and he rarely forechecks on the pk.

You think he rarely skates at full speed, while I think all the above are because his full speed is low; that's why he doesn't get out of the zone early, that's why opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and that's why he rarely forechecks on the pk.

Mitch Marner scores about half his goals by slipping through defenses and going in one on one against goalies, yet you say teams aren’t concerned about that?

No the leafs don’t forecheck because we don’t have the personnel on the back end to event attempt that. And then on top of it, we don’t have the personnel up front who would be effective on the forecheck. So now you have “soft” forwards getting beat and then weak defenders defending an odd man rush on the PK. Does that sound like a recipes for success?

Reactions: andora and ACC1224

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I agree with most of this, but see one big difference. Mitch doesn't get out of the zone early, opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and he rarely forechecks on the pk.

You think he rarely skates at full speed, while I think all the above are because his full speed is low; that's why he doesn't get out of the zone early, that's why opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and that's why he rarely forechecks on the pk.
Never thought of it that way....you may be 100% right, his top speed may not be impressive.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Come on I'm all for having some fun poking at Marner but Stu Grimson man, who honestly gives a f***.

We're talking about the defensive game of wingers here. It's really not that big of a thing to overcome. Tkachuk is trash defensively too yet Florida still made it work perfectly fine. Ditto for Patrick Kane in Chicago.

Yep. I can't help but think of Kessel, who was absolutely putrid defensively too. That didn't stop him from absolutely taking over playoff series after playoff series while he was in his prime.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Mitch Marner scores about half his goals by slipping through defenses and going in one on one against goalies, yet you say teams aren’t concerned about that?

No the leafs don’t forecheck because we don’t have the personnel on the back end to event attempt that. And then on top of it, we don’t have the personnel up front who would be effective on the forecheck. So now you have “soft” forwards getting beat and then weak defenders defending an odd man rush on the PK. Does that sound like a recipes for success?
Actually, I didn't say that, someone else did.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Come on I'm all for having some fun poking at Marner but Stu Grimson man, who honestly gives a f***.

We're talking about the defensive game of wingers here. It's really not that big of a thing to overcome. Tkachuk is trash defensively too yet Florida still made it work perfectly fine. Ditto for Patrick Kane in Chicago.
You can't evaluate a player based on a one sided metric. The term 200 ft player has a meaning.

You don't really watch them, do you. Both blow the zone early. I agree Nylander does it faster, although not necessarily sooner.

And again the difference in defensive play has more to do with their respective centres:

AM + MM = good.
AM + WN = good.
JT + MM = bad.
JT + WN = bad.
Lol. I'm pretty sure I've watched a few more games than you have.
In no universe is Nylander considered a more valuable player.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
What’s the score in the poll?
Maybe a better poll is when Marner leaves for nothing as a UFA.

Pretty sure he’d hear it then….. 👍🏻.

I think he would be one of the most reviled Leafs in a long time in that scenario, more than the Muskoka 5 combined.

As long as he’s a Leaf, I won’t boo him. It makes no sense.

Refuse to accept a trade and leave for nothing? It’s open season on his ass next time he’s playing the Leafs at home.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I think he would be one of the most reviled Leafs in a long time in that scenario, more than the Muskoka 5 combined.

Refuse to accept a trade and leave for nothing? It’s open season on his ass next time he’s playing the Leafs at home.

By all accounts he hasn’t denied a trade, he hasn’t even been asked for a trade. He wants to remain a leaf at the end of the day. If the leafs end up not getting anything for Marner that’s on Leafs management and not Mitch Marner. Booing him for leaving as a UFA when never asked to waive his NMC is crazy.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
By all accounts he hasn’t denied a trade, he hasn’t even been asked for a trade. He wants to remain a leaf at the end of the day. If the leafs end up not getting anything for Marner that’s on Leafs management and not Mitch Marner. Booing him for leaving as a UFA when never asked to waive his NMC is crazy.
You are right. If the Leafs don’t ask Marner to waive and he leaves for nothing, shame on MLSE for being a bunch of gutless wimps.

However, if Marner was asked to waive and he refused and he walks for nothing then he fully deserves to be booed like no tomorrow.

….. and he will be.

Period.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You are right. If the Leafs don’t ask Marner to waive and he leaves for nothing, shame on MLSE for being a bunch of gutless wimps.

However, if Marner was asked to waive and he refused and he walks for nothing then he fully deserves to be booed like no tomorrow.

….. and he will be.

Period.

I doubt he’s asked to waive at this point. The only way I see him being asked is if the leafs are really struggling this year. Otherwise he’ll be kept as an own rental by the organization. Whether we like it or not I think we have to accept the organization has made their choice for this season at least with Marner and that’s to keep him around.

I think if he was asked to waive and he said no, there’d be a lot of smoke around that and a lot of reporters reporting. That would be something that would benefit the leafs to leak immediately. But it hasn’t so I doubt they’ve even approached him with a trade.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

….. and he will be.

Period.
Meh, no different than JT in that case. Is JT all broken up about the Isles booing him? Lol

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lol. I'm pretty sure I've watched a few more games than you have.
In no universe is Nylander considered a more valuable player.
Since I've been watching them since the 60s, and haven't missed a hand in years, I doubt you've seen more.

I did not say Nylander was a more valuable player (at least in this particular topic), so I'm not sure why you introduced something irrelevant, instead of staying on topic.

It might be better fof the Leafs if he leaves as a UFA.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Perhaps they haven't asked him to waive because they haven't seen an offer they think is better than keeping him this year and (risk) letting him walk.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Perhaps they haven't asked him to waive because they haven't seen an offer they think is better than keeping him this year and (risk) letting him walk.
It's possible. I'd speculate that Ferris came out aggressive and let his position be known publicly off the jump and the Leafs decided against going down that path, and get muddy. Maybe we'll find out one day.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's possible. I'd speculate that Ferris came out aggressive and let his position be known publicly off the jump and the Leafs decided against going down that path, and get muddy. Maybe we'll find out one day.
It’s way too early to sign Marner to a team friendly deal. The only way he signs soon is if Leafs overpay. Which I believe they won’t. This will have to go similar to William’s Rfa deal. Right down to the wire.

Reactions: francis246

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Lets hope you're right.

Nathan MacKinnon has a Stanley Cup, a Lady Byng Trophy,a Hart Trophy, a Ted Lindsay Award, and a Calder Trophy to his name while Marner has ZERO of the above and NO awards since entering the NHL.

MacKinnon coming off his Cup win signed for $12.6 mil. Marner wants to get paid like one of the best players and top centers in the game.

Lets hope Leafs do the right thing here. :crossfing

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I find it hard to hold it against a player if he wants to stay.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

That’s just as dumb.

If the Leafs can’t offer him a contract the smart thing to do is take your time and decide what is best for your career and sign to a Team you can have success with and a city you can raise your family.

Accepting a sign and trade is a foolish decision for any player to make.

Marner does not owe the fans or the organization to do such a foolish thing

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
That’s just as dumb.

If the Leafs can’t offer him a contract the smart thing to do is take your time and decide what is best for your career and sign to a Team you can have success with and a city you can raise your family.

Accepting a sign and trade is a foolish decision for any player to make.

Marner does not owe the fans or the organization to do such a foolish thing
Yes, the Leafs very much owe Mitch the opportunity to do what’s best for him while he fails to deliver what’s best for the Leafs, including doing what he’s being overpaid to do.

However did we luck into this gem?

Can’t wait for him to be gone. He’s not a player you win with, and we are better served to reallocate the cap space to make the team better as a whole.

Snizz Mitch can can go do his regular season thing/playoff nothing/back at the cottage thing elsewhere, please.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Lets hope you're right.

Nathan MacKinnon has a Stanley Cup, a Lady Byng Trophy,a Hart Trophy, a Ted Lindsay Award, and a Calder Trophy to his name while Marner has ZERO of the above and NO awards since entering the NHL.

MacKinnon coming off his Cup win signed for $12.6 mil. Marner wants to get paid like one of the best players and top centers in the game.

Lets hope Leafs do the right thing here. :crossfing

King of no context.

Cap ceiling was lower. It’s about Cap percentages. Any player that signs for a percentage in that range will have a salary higher than MacKinnon because the cap ceiling has gone up. Think before you post Mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00