Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner's current contract is the floor, always was. If Nylander took 9 are you saying Marner would accept less than he's currently making? Also Marner will use his cap percentage not dollar figures, what does his existing cap % equate to under the new cap? Wasn't it around 11.7 or something like that? He's going to be looking for a bump in his cap percentage so that takes him to 12.5 x 8
I meant Nylanders contract is the floor.
If his contract was 9 it wouldn’t be the floor.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Former NHLer and current NHL Network analyst Stu Grimson revealed the expected return for the Toronto Maple Leafs if they were to trade Mitch Marner.​

At this point, many across the NHL, fans included, expect Leafs forward Mitch Marner to play out the final year of his six-year deal rather than sign an extension or approve a trade. However, should the Leafs trade the 27-year-old, current NHL Network analyst and former NHLer Stu Grimson believes that the Leafs will be looking for one specific type of player in return.

I’m convinced you think you work for the athletic or something.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Certainly a strange thing, and I don't want to polish that turd Keefe - let's see what happens under a real coach.

With 6.8% more ice time per game, playing mainly with much better linemates, he produced 2.5% higher ppg.
Not on a net basis. Nylander is a sieve defensively....mainly because he sacrificed defense like blowing the zone to get a few meaningless points that mean nothing in most games.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Former NHLer and current NHL Network analyst Stu Grimson revealed the expected return for the Toronto Maple Leafs if they were to trade Mitch Marner.​

At this point, many across the NHL, fans included, expect Leafs forward Mitch Marner to play out the final year of his six-year deal rather than sign an extension or approve a trade. However, should the Leafs trade the 27-year-old, current NHL Network analyst and former NHLer Stu Grimson believes that the Leafs will be looking for one specific type of player in return.

Come on I'm all for having some fun poking at Marner but Stu Grimson man, who honestly gives a f***.

Not on a net basis. Nylander is a sieve defensively....mainly because he sacrificed defense like blowing the zone to get a few meaningless points that mean nothing in most games.
We're talking about the defensive game of wingers here. It's really not that big of a thing to overcome. Tkachuk is trash defensively too yet Florida still made it work perfectly fine. Ditto for Patrick Kane in Chicago.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Come on I'm all for having some fun poking at Marner but Stu Grimson man, who honestly gives a f***.

We're talking about the defensive game of wingers here. It's really not that big of a thing to overcome. Tkachuk is trash defensively too yet Florida still made it work perfectly fine. Ditto for Patrick Kane in Chicago.
You don’t think Marner would bring a decent return?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And he hasn’t committed or sacrificed at a basic level on offence, either. You’re not winning with guys like that.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You don’t think Marner would bring a decent return?

It is a weird thing here... so many on this board consider him useless and say he is overpaid and we are better off without him, so you'd assume he is a cap dump, but the same people also think we will get a good return if we trade him, it makes no sense at all.

Reactions: bax

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No, Marner doesn't get booed. Unless he scores 1g, 3a in the first 12 games.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He’s only accepting that over 4 or 5 yrs in Toronto and I don’t blame him. There are 25-30 better places to live so 8 yrs in Toronto is 13.75- 14.25.

Jesus 14.75 .. put him on a slow boat to China.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Racer88

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You don't really watch them, do you. Both blow the zone early. I agree Nylander does it faster, although not necessarily sooner.

And again the difference in defensive play has more to do with their respective centres:

AM + MM = good.
AM + WN = good.
JT + MM = bad.
JT + WN = bad.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He’s only accepting that over 4 or 5 yrs in Toronto and I don’t blame him. There are 25-30 better places to live so 8 yrs in Toronto is 13.75- 14.25.
If they ever signed him to 13-14 million we can kiss any hope of a cup goodby until they age out and we do yet another tank and rebuild.
That deal would be catastrophic

Reactions: mclaren55

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He can kick rocks if that’s the case.
I’ll be very surprised if he accepts anything less than 13 on an 8 year term in that market.

If they ever signed him to 13-14 million we can kiss any hope of a cup goodby until they age out and we do yet another tank and rebuild.
That deal would be catastrophic
I don’t think a Cup is a realistic expectation

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I’ll be very surprised if he accepts anything less than 13 on an 8 year term in that market.
He can GTFO if that is the case. They guy is a proven playoff loser. Nobody making him the highest paid player on their team. He is a more expensive Johnny hockey who cannot dominate a playoff game let alone a playoff series.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He can GTFO if that is the case. They guy is a proven playoff loser. Nobody making him the highest paid player on their team. He is a more expensive Johnny hockey who cannot dominate a playoff game let alone a playoff series.
If he signs at 12x8 he still the same player. I don’t see him signing an 8 yr deal to stay in that market. A sign and trade for 11.5-12 made sense a few weeks ago, but that doesn’t seem possible now.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You don't really watch them, do you. Both blow the zone early. I agree Nylander does it faster, although not necessarily sooner.

And again the difference in defensive play has more to do with their respective centres:

AM + MM = good.
AM + WN = good.
JT + MM = bad.
JT + WN = bad.
Actually, it appears Mitchy rarely blows the zone early because he wants the puck to carry it, he wants the puck to make the unusual pass, he wants the puck. He would be far more valuable if he did force the other teams dmen to retreat rather than pinch. NOBODY fears Mitchy getting behind them.
Even when he is on the pk he rarely forchecks well, he forms the box. Mitchy rarely skates at full speed, he prefers to out think the opposition. He would have made a very good dman with 30 pounds more.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he signs at 12x8 he still the same player. I don’t see him signing an 8 yr deal to stay in that market. A sign and trade for 11.5-12 made sense a few weeks ago, but that doesn’t seem possible now.
Many do not want him for 10.9m. I doubt Leafs can find a team interested in a sign and trade for that kind of money and willing to give up any significant assets. Maybe if the Utah owner wants to make a splash.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Many do not want him for 10.9m. I doubt Leafs can find a team interested in a sign and trade for that kind of money and willing to give up any significant assets. Maybe if the Utah owner wants to make a splash.
Utah has some good young players and yes they would be one of the 31 teams interested in him. Salt Lake City is a different place. Beautiful city, but it’s different.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs biggest mistake with Marner was not taking the 4 X 1st round pick offer-sheet compensation, but giving him a salary higher then that., Even today, if the Leafs tried to trade him, nobody would surrender 4 X 1sts for him in trade. IMO

Buy Low & Sell High its how I manage my investment portfolio, also a strategy that could apply to building a successful team in a Salary Cap Era.

Getting "Bang for your Salary Cap Buck", drives success as the better you manage your contracts the better the team you can ice to compete for the Cup. That's not Rocket Science but common sense.

The Marner stock has been a poor investment on return at the most crucial time the playoffs, ever since he signed his 2nd contract it became a dead investment, where ELC contract was his best years.

As a 20 year old making $895K ELC contract he put up 2-7-9 points in 7 games against Boston first round loss, now as 27 year old making $10.9 mil (9th highest NHL) in 7 games 1-2-3 points which is only 1/3rd the production he had 7 years earlier. The Boston team of 2017-18 with Bergeron, Krejci, Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask etc. >> > 2023-24 Bruins as of today.

You can see why the Leafs would like to get out and move on!!!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs biggest mistake with Marner was not taking the 4 X 1st round pick offer-sheet compensation, but giving him a salary higher then that., Even today, if the Leafs tried to trade him, nobody would surrender 4 X 1sts for him in trade. IMO

Buy Low & Sell High its how I manage my investment portfolio, also a strategy that could apply to building a successful team in a Salary Cap Era.

Getting "Bang for your Salary Cap Buck", drives success as the better you manage your contracts the better the team you can ice to compete for the Cup. That's not Rocket Science but common sense.

The Marner stock has been a poor investment on return at the most crucial time the playoffs, ever since he signed his 2nd contract it became a dead investment, where ELC contract was his best years.

As a 20 year old making $895K ELC contract he put up 2-7-9 points in 7 games against Boston first round loss, now as 27 year old making $10.9 mil (9th highest NHL) in 7 games 1-2-3 points which is only 1/3rd the production he had 7 years earlier. The Boston team of 2017-18 with Bergeron, Krejci, Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask etc. >> > 2023-24 Bruins as of today.

You can see why the Leafs would like to get out and move on!!!
They never had the option of taking 4 first round picks. And if Marner got an offer, either written or verbal, then Dubas should have used that to his advantage and offered a little less.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Actually, it appears Mitchy rarely blows the zone early because he wants the puck to carry it, he wants the puck to make the unusual pass, he wants the puck. He would be far more valuable if he did force the other teams dmen to retreat rather than pinch. NOBODY fears Mitchy getting behind them.
Even when he is on the pk he rarely forchecks well, he forms the box. Mitchy rarely skates at full speed, he prefers to out think the opposition. He would have made a very good dman with 30 pounds more.
I agree with most of this, but see one big difference. Mitch doesn't get out of the zone early, opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and he rarely forechecks on the pk.

You think he rarely skates at full speed, while I think all the above are because his full speed is low; that's why he doesn't get out of the zone early, that's why opposing teams aren't concerned about him getting behind them, and that's why he rarely forechecks on the pk.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He won’t bring back a top 20 league wide player. Past prognosticators have always adhered to the idea of the side that gets the best player wins the trade.

The Jack Eichel trade would be a good base for what the Marner deal would look like

Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2