Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm all for shipping Marner out for all the reasons everyone else has pointed out, but I don't think he deserves to get boo'ed or boo'd or booed.

This city has a long history of picking a scapegoat for the team's failures and driving them out of town. And some probably deserve it, but Mitch is no different than the others on this team that repeatedly don't get it done when it counts.

Yes, his big contract means bigger expectations and he does come off as smug, even arrogant at times but he's been a phenomenal player for this team - easily one of the top 10 talents in franchise history - and I don't doubt he wants to win.

Gone either via trade or free agency? 100%. But if I somehow found myself at his last Leafs game I'd probably stand and cheer - even as a Marner "hater" - because I do respect more what he's done here than what he hasn't.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
No Boo from me.

He signed his deal and got the no move.

If I boo it's for the management team that signed him to the deal.

I'll boo him if he screws the Leafs and signs with another team when his deal is up.

It just feels wrong to boo someone who plays on the team I cheer for.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Different coach, a few different additions, it’s not the same team. The core 5 aren’t the whole team. But maybe 1/2. lol!
We have had different coaches and different additions and the same core 5 and the same results.
Here’s hoping the 3rd coach and 8th compliment of supporting players can get this core over the hump

Well as I said they are only 5 of the 20 plus man roster. They can’t win or lose it on their own, especially if they are given assignments which may not be best suited to their game.

True they take up 1/2 the cap but it still is only half.
True that leaves half left for the other 18 players.
5=18

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yes, his big contract means bigger expectations and he does come off as smug, even arrogant at times but he's been a phenomenal player for this team - easily one of the top 10 talents in franchise history - and I don't doubt he wants to win.
Exactly. He's also not the only big contract on the team. As we all know, the structure of this team is incredibly flawed which plays a big part in wishing one of these big contracts out.

Reactions: al secord

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We have had different coaches and different additions and the same core 5 and the same results.
Here’s hoping the 3rd coach and 8th compliment of supporting players can get this core over the hump

5=18
They did well as teenagers under the other coach. Can’t fault them for not getting out of round one when they are all about 20. Now they never improved as a team under the last coach which seems odd. So we will see under a new coach.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They did well as teenagers under the other coach. Can’t fault them for not getting out of round one when they are all about 20. Now they never improved as a team under the last coach which seems odd. So we will see under a new coach.
I s do hope you are right but I’m going to have to see it before I cut this core any slack.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Are you a Marner fan or a leaf fan?

There’s no way you actually watch the games if you believe this.

Matthews is far from a playoff choker. If all you’re going to do is look at PPG and avoid discussing what actually is happening on the ice there’s no hope for you.
Isn't Marner a Leaf?

Not at all. It's how I feel. Keep running it back tho by all means I'm sure we'll get different results.
I don't think he makes that decision . But your unhappiness is caused by your decisions.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If anyone does, you'll have the media scolding the fan base 24/7 until they change their behavior.

Reactions: LeafGrief

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm all for shipping Marner out for all the reasons everyone else has pointed out, but I don't think he deserves to get boo'ed or boo'd or booed.

This city has a long history of picking a scapegoat for the team's failures and driving them out of town. And some probably deserve it, but Mitch is no different than the others on this team that repeatedly don't get it done when it counts.

Gone either via trade or free agency? 100%. But if I somehow found myself at his last Leafs game I'd probably stand and cheer - even as a Marner "hater" - because I do respect more what he's done here than what he hasn't.
Agreed, anyone booing one of our guys would look like a clown. As frustrated as we've all been with him, booing him would be moronic. If it was a Vince Carter situation where a guy fakes being injured and throws games, that's a different story, as much as I dislike Marner and has attitude he does not deserve to be bood.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed, anyone booing one of our guys would look like a clown. As frustrated as we've all been with him, booing him would be moronic. If it was a Vince Carter situation where a guy fakes being injured and throws games, that's a different story, as much as I dislike Marner and has attitude he does not deserve to be bood.
What sort of decorum are we trying to uphold? Why does a player need to "deserve" to be booed? He's not being sentenced to prison, there is no threshold of evidence or morality that is crossed that allows for appropriate booing, it's the fans deciding to express their frustration and disappointment in a completely harmless manner. If someone was going to send Marner threats or make taunts involving his loved ones, that's going too far and should not be tolerated, but to act like booing is something that must be appropriate is kind of silly IMO. It's a collective noise, which at it's absolute WORST will hurt his feelings.

The humanity.

I have a dancing shark avatar and we're spending our energy arguing about whether or not it's okay to boo a professional athlete. Your avatar even has the clown makeup on. We already look like clowns when we continue to cheer for this organization that will never love us back, if someone wants to boo then I say they're welcome to boo as much as they like. They'll stop almost immediately because the arena is full of suits who care more about impressing their client than anything else, but that's a separate topic.

I'd boo Marner if I was in the rink. I think it's unlikely but possible he'll get booed on opening night, and throughout the season he'd have to really struggle to get booed. He'll get booed next playoffs if he plays like he has the last few years. The wild cards will be the home-away-from-home games in Ottawa where our rowdy fans turn up and their home crowd would love to twist the knife on one of our stars.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What sort of decorum are we trying to uphold? Why does a player need to "deserve" to be booed? He's not being sentenced to prison, there is no threshold of evidence or morality that is crossed that allows for appropriate booing, it's the fans deciding to express their frustration and disappointment in a completely harmless manner. If someone was going to send Marner threats or make taunts involving his loved ones, that's going too far and should not be tolerated, but to act like booing is something that must be appropriate is kind of silly IMO. It's a collective noise, which at it's absolute WORST will hurt his feelings.

The humanity.

I have a dancing shark avatar and we're spending our energy arguing about whether or not it's okay to boo a professional athlete. Your avatar even has the clown makeup on. We already look like clowns when we continue to cheer for this organization that will never love us back, if someone wants to boo then I say they're welcome to boo as much as they like. They'll stop almost immediately because the arena is full of suits who care more about impressing their client than anything else, but that's a separate topic.

I'd boo Marner if I was in the rink. I think it's unlikely but possible he'll get booed on opening night, and throughout the season he'd have to really struggle to get booed. He'll get booed next playoffs if he plays like he has the last few years. The wild cards will be the home-away-from-home games in Ottawa where our rowdy fans turn up and their home crowd would love to twist the knife on one of our stars.
Booing him on opening night would be about as stupid as it gets, it's a new season. Like you said, if he does the same BS in the playoffs next year again, then deserved. But would been embarrassing if the fans start booing him in the regular season if the team is doing fine. If someone wants to Boo him go for it, I just think it looks silly.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Booing him on opening night would be about as stupid as it gets, it's a new season. Like you said, if he does the same BS in the playoffs next year again, then deserved. But would been embarrassing if the fans start booing him in the regular season if the team is doing fine. If someone wants to Boo him go for it, I just think it looks silly.
Idk why a new season means we’re letting bygones be bygones, it’s the first time he’s playing a home game since we got bounced, it’s the first actual chance anyone will have had to boo. We cheer the guys we like on opening night because of what they’ve done before and what they’ll do this year, booing is the same basic idea.

We’d have to be having a horrible season for him to get booed any time between November and the playoffs, I’d be astonished if it happens at a home game then, but the first few weeks of the season are when people will still be feeling the pain from last playoffs and he won’t have had time to put up his highlights that make everyone forget the spring.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They're capable of not going to games, not watching, not spending money, etc. Booing your own players because you haven't won yet is just childish and self-destructive.
You do know a lot of teams get boo’d by their own fans from time to time. Some games the team gets booed cheered and booed all in the same period

Reactions: Enniskillen

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Marner is what he is soft timid and way over paid but he has a good agent.
The ones that needed/need to be booed are Dubas and Shanny.
They are the architects of what is going to be the biggest failure of a rebuild when afforded some very skilled players.
They deserve the boos

Reactions: Enniskillen

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

5=18
Exactly, can’t win with half a team, time for the other 18 to pick it up. lol!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They're capable of not going to games, not watching, not spending money, etc. Booing your own players because you haven't won yet is just childish and self-destructive.
This idea that people shouldn't interact with the Leafs just because they're unhappy with the team right now is such a useless argument. They're capable of not interacting, but they're going to interact because they're Leafs fans, and as the biggest fanbase in hockey we're going to have differences of opinion in how to go about that interaction.

Why do you care what people do with their time and money? If they want to turn up and boo Carleton, who are you to judge? Grown men paint their faces, get outrageously drunk and scream about a little black disc for almost three hours, this is all inherently childish, and there is nothing that actually gets destroyed aside from the occasional police car in Montreal after the Habs lose.

I really cannot begin to describe how soft the idea that booing is self-destructive is. Do you actually think that these men, professional athletes paid millions of dollars, are going to just shut the season down because the fans booed? If they're that soft we might as well just fold the team. I guess I can live with the fans being this soft, I'll refer to my 1st and 2nd paragraphs for that, but damn, these are some cashmere kid gloves that this team gets.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If they want to turn up and boo Carleton, who are you to judge?
I am a Leaf fan, judging those who attempt to boo and damage the team I cheer for, and be disruptive to the experience of everybody around them, because they think they are entitled to a cup. It is a free country. That means people are free to boo. It also means that people are free to judge and shame childish and counterproductive behaviour.
Do you actually think that these men, professional athletes paid millions of dollars, are going to just shut the season down because the fans booed?
No, but apparently the people booing do, or they wouldn't be doing something so pointless.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
So I can’t disclose fully but I’ve heard that one of the reasons why O’Reilly left was because he felt that if Keefe had put the Tavares - O’Reilly - Marner line back together after the game 1 loss against Florida, the Maple Leafs would have beat the Panthers. He was not a fan of Keefe. Keefe refused to make adjustments, players were actually open to changing the PP and lines and those ideas were shut down.

Secondly O’Reilly left because keefe doesn’t play a 2nd PP unit and O’Reilly felt like he was still good enough to be a PP1 guy or at least get time on the PP. that’s why he went to Nashville for the same money. He’d get more ice time.
I seem to recall reading somewhere he also didn't like the # of suits in the locker room as it should be mostly for the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad