Does Marner get Boo’d?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Marner lives rent free in a lot of heads around these parts. In fact if Mitch scored the winning goals in games 5 and 7 of the SCF there'd be people bitching about him putting it in the net when he could have passed to Matthews.

1723686246200.png

FYI:

Marner in 9 playoff series over 8 seasons now, has only scored 1 single goal [Game #5 in 2017-18] in games #5 or #6 or #7 throughout his entire NHL playoff career to date.

He has scored a total of 11 goals over 9 playoff series (which equates to about a goal a series played). This included going scoreless in 18 consecutive playoff games over a span 3 playoff years.

Marner seems to live rent free in the DREAMS of some Leaf fans where in reality its pure fiction even in hypotheticals. :wg:

It appears those fans that are watching him struggle mightily in the playoffs in key games Year after Year after Year that are the ones voicing their disappointment based on REAL facts resulting in early playoff exits. You combine that with the fact he is a TOP 10 highest paid player in the game and people should understand the Fan frustration. IMO

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I’m sure Mitch is a good guy.

The former GM here donated lots of undeserved cap space to Marner and it’s been a huge failure

The fact he’s unwilling to be traded is just more me first behaviour for MM16.

We don’t need his mid 20s goals at 10.9AAV.

Dubas was a failure

Now do playoffs

He negotiated an NMC in good faith. This is just hating on another level. Him wanting to be a maple leaf isn’t me first behaviour. It’s in his contract he doesn’t have to accept a trade if he doesn’t want to. Lots of players do not accept trades. When Kadri blocked a trade to Calgary was that him being a me first player?

When Sundin didn’t want to be traded because he loved it here was that him being a me first player? It’s the same thing. People love being a Maple Leaf, it’s hard to give that up.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Lmao there's been several former NHL players who slammed Marner after his last playoffs.

Blissful ignorance.

I think there’s a difference though. ROR and Bogosian are speaking to Marner’s character overall. The other former players were speaking about Marner’s playoff performance.

There is nothing wrong with those former players who slammed his performance. We can’t be delusional, he wasnt good this year. When they did, they mentioned nothing of Marner’s personality. But on these boards and on the Internet there are some people attacking his character for no reason. It’s gotten to a level that’s boarder-line psychotic and too far. I think that’s why you see guys like Bogosian and ROR coming to his defense.

The two things are not mutually exclusive. Marner struggling in the playoffs doesn’t mean he’s a piece of shit human. Even the contract stuff. All players try and make as much as the team will give them. In the same respect, Marner being a nice guy and a guy everyone loves in the locker room doesn’t mean he’s above criticism of his play.

You can be critical of his play without attacking his character. By all accounts Marner is a nice guy, a good teammate and leader. But he has struggles in the playoffs he needs to improve on.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
There's been several media personalities who have slammed Marner for clicks**
Aaaaah I get it. So the guys who praise him do it out of the goodness of their hearts but the guys who slam him are just after clicks.
That sounds totally fair and unbiased. Lmao

He negotiated an NMC in good faith. This is just hating on another level. Him wanting to be a maple leaf isn’t me first behaviour. It’s in his contract he doesn’t have to accept a trade if he doesn’t want to. Lots of players do not accept trades. When Kadri blocked a trade to Calgary was that him being a me first player?

When Sundin didn’t want to be traded because he loved it here was that him being a me first player? It’s the same thing. People love being a Maple Leaf, it’s hard to give that up.
You might be right and I think the Leafs need to put it to the ultimate test.
No extension until Free agency day then start negotiating and see how bad he really wants to stay a leaf

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
His teammates are going to make sure Mitch is racking up the points, he'll get his touches.

Will be interesting to see how long Berube allows players to put the name on the back before the name on the front.
Hopefully that disturbing trend end opening day of training camp

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Aaaaah I get it. So the guys who praise him do it out of the goodness of their hearts but the guys who slam him are just after clicks.
That sounds totally fair and unbiased. Lmao

You might be right and I think the Leafs need to put it to the ultimate test.
No extension until Free agency day then start negotiating and see how bad he really wants to stay a leaf

To address your first post, I mean, ROR and Bogosian were getting interviewed, they gain nothing by defending Marner. Well except maybe a cheque from Rocket security lol.

But rosehill gets clicks for his channel by going on a rant and same with Paul Bizasty helping TNT ratings with that rant. So yes it’s more beneficial to be a critique in a sense.

2nd point, I couldn’t agree more. Pull the Stamkos on him. Let him go explore the market. If he wants to be here he’ll take a 7 year instead of an 8. Show us how bad you wanna be here.

Reactions: Racer88

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
To address your first post, I mean, ROR and Bogosian were getting interviewed, they gain nothing by defending Marner. Well except maybe a cheque from Rocket security lol.

But rosehill gets clicks for his channel by going on a rant and same with Paul Bizasty helping TNT ratings with that rant. So yes it’s more beneficial to be a critique in a sense.

2nd point, I couldn’t agree more. Pull the Stamkos on him. Let him go explore the market. If he wants to be here he’ll take a 7 year instead of an 8. Show us how bad you wanna be here.
It’s the only true test. All the rest is just lip service

I’m guessing ROR and Bogosian are decent guys and would alway come to the defence of a beleaguered fellow nhl former teammate.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It’s the only true test. All the rest is just lip service

I’m guessing ROR and Bogosian are decent guys and would alway come to the defence of a beleaguered fellow nhl former teammate.

I do believe whole heartedly they are gonna have a good run. I don’t think Stanley cup run. But I feel something similar to Edmonton where a simple coaching change that allows them to simplify their game will yield positive results.

I also think we will see an increase in scoring from the back end which will be beneficial. Might be the first season post MTL where I’m going to be really intrigued with how the year goes because not a whole lot of guys under contract after this year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I do believe whole heartedly they are gonna have a good run. I don’t think Stanley cup run. But I feel something similar to Edmonton where a simple coaching change that allows them to simplify their game will yield positive results.

I also think we will see an increase in scoring from the back end which will be beneficial. Might be the first season post MTL where I’m going to be really intrigued with how the year goes because not a whole lot of guys under contract after this year.
God I hope so. This continual playoff failure sure is getting tiring

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Can you translate all this into English?
translate a simple question of "why is that?"

I'll try...
before you and @Hellcat randomly chimed in...
@Dekes For Days posted the following:
The mistake you make is thinking that later round automatically equals tougher opponent or increased difficulty to produce, and that's simply not true.
I simply pointed out why @Dekes For Days is full of it... by asking a simple... yet somehow unanswerable question of... and for the 7th time now... why is that?

crock of shit.png

This tells me Tavares > Matthews.

When you are ready to admit that, we can start discussing this seriously.

you may be the only person on hfboards that thinks Tavares > Matthews... but if I forget context and go by what you stated... and the stats... what the hell does that say about Marner? lol

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'll cherry pick 15 games from last season for McDavid vs the 'Yotes, Panthers, Wild, Islanders, TB, 'Nucks, and Golden Knights, he was a horrid -16, based on those 15 games and that cherry picked stat line, what conclusion can we make?

Marner has played 576 games and people are pinning him to the cross for 16 games? Sure why not?
You don't understand why game 5/6/7 is more important than a regular season game vs. Ari?

These aren't "randomly picked games" these are critical games of series that he's struggled in. And it's noticeably more than the rest of the core

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
View attachment 901120

FYI:

Marner in 9 playoff series over 8 seasons now, has only scored 1 single goal [Game #5 in 2017-18] in games #5 or #6 or #7 throughout his entire NHL playoff career to date.

He has scored a total of 11 goals over 9 playoff series (which equates to about a goal a series played). This included going scoreless in 18 consecutive playoff games over a span 3 playoff years.

Marner seems to live rent free in the DREAMS of some Leaf fans where in reality its pure fiction even in hypotheticals. :wg:

It appears those fans that are watching him struggle mightily in the playoffs in key games Year after Year after Year that are the ones voicing their disappointment based on REAL facts resulting in early playoff exits. You combine that with the fact he is a TOP 10 highest paid player in the game and people should understand the Fan frustration. IMO
Can you splice those genes any thinner.

Mess! the strawman blames Marner and only Marner for the losses, and hardly notices that all of them contribute fully to that horrendous record.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Hopefully that disturbing trend end opening day of training camp

I think Chief is going to give instructions on how to play his way, if the players dont follow, he will give them enough rope to hang themselves and then put the hammer down, coming in day one being a hard ass, wont get you very far as a coach. Willie ahs always played the way Willie plays, Mitch has always been a fancy dancy showboat type player, these guys (and others on the team) have never really had a leash on the way they play, will be interesting to see just how coachable the team is to being more accountable as a team, vs being individual superstars.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think Chief is going to give instructions on how to play his way, if the players dont follow, he will give them enough rope to hang themselves and then put the hammer down, coming in day one being a hard ass, wont get you very far as a coach. Willie ahs always played the way Willie plays, Mitch has always been a fancy dancy showboat type player, these guys (and others on the team) have never really had a leash on the way they play, will be interesting to see just how coachable the team is to being more accountable as a team, vs being individual superstars.
Either scenario it’s sure going to be interesting. I’m looking forward for the start of the season.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
God I hope so. This continual playoff failure sure is getting tiring

Yep and it's not like we have a team that squeaked into 8th place 8 years in a row and is a team that is just lucky to make the playoffs. They have been a top 10 ten team in the league for almost a decade now. Always facing Veznia type goalies like Sawyman, Vas and Bob and that is not an excuse for losing, it's an inditement in the lack of preparation, you know every year, you are going to face, 1 of 3 teams, either TB, Florida or Boston. you should have an army of scouts that follow and travel with those three specific teams, scout all 82 games and have a game plan of how you are going to expose them. Heck we beat TB only because we figured out Vas was struggling with far away shots... comes down to knowing your enemy better than they know themselves.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
isn't this the leafs board? have we made it to round 4? no... not even close... so your whole "later rounds"... for us... just happens to be game 5,6,7.
Whether or not we've made it to round 4 is irrelevant. If you'd actually read the discussion you're quoting, you'd know that not only was Tkachuk (who has been to round 4) half of the discussion, but the discussion point you're referencing (impact of round on production) was a general fact, not a statement about a specific team or player. I don't know how you're not understanding that games are not the same thing as rounds. Your post has nothing to do with my post. Spamming it 10 times isn't going to change that.
am I allowed to use our stats from this seasons playoffs for a more recent example? or is that "cherry picking" too?
The issue isn't how recent your sample is. The issue is your sample is tiny, incomplete, meaningless, and just so happened to start after a season that would hurt your argument. If you're plucking out arbitrary games from within a bunch of series, it's cherry picking. As the leading playoff producer on our team, if Marner produces less than the rest of the core 4 in the games you've cherry picked, that means that Marner produces more than the rest of the core 4 (to an even greater extent) in the other games that are equally important.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If only the players hated the team as much as the ‘fans’ do they’d be unstoppable.

Reactions: francis246

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So the guys who praise him do it out of the goodness of their hearts but the guys who slam him are just after clicks.
Unlike the slamming, most of the praise isn't from media personalities, because rage is what sells.
The praise tends to be from people who have actually played with or interacted with him in some way.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If only the players hated the team as much as the ‘fans’ do they’d be unstoppable.

In 2024 , what is up is down, what is a human is a tree, so why can't a "fan" be someone who has a hate on for one of the best players in franchise history?

Boo-ing always improves an athletes performance... "genius level" caveman thinking to be sure...

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
are you squirting hot sauce up my pee hole?

again.... Dekes said:

I simply asked dekes a rhetorical question... (for the sixth time now) of why that is bs lol...

View attachment 901112

and then you randomly chimed in to Dekes defence with random hyperbole... something about McDavid being a minus vs the "yotes" or something... and @notbias said something about Tavares being better than Matthews or something... lol

idk I guess my bs detector is going haywire
Don't feed the trolls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad