Speculation: Does Jarmo move a RHD at the draft...who if so?

who gets traded in this crowded group---poll open for 5 days

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sweezey is no better and if you put him in the same position he'd get caved in worse. The entire defense was playing at minimum 1 position above their heads and our mix was terrible. Gudbranson wasnt amazing but he was significantly better when Berni became his partner, Peeke needs a similar partner. I dont think you can put him with Werenski but maybe Bean if all these guys are back which I doubt.
I don't claim Sweezey is better but he plays very good in some things at least. Also he is a player for rotation and nobody can wait he will be the second Viktor Hedman.

What I saw Bean has good chemistry with Peeke. But I prefer find a better d-man than Andy. His positional mistakes are tragedy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
@thebus88

Bean>Werenski>Boqvist>Blankenburg>Berni>Peeke

Jake is very underrated, I think. Also Adam is better on PP than Zach.

I obviously am big on Bean, and am not as high on Werenski as many others, but, this is taking it a bit far.

As President/VP of the Jake Bean fan club, we must be a bit more responsible. You think the Bean hate is bad now?!?

Also, with lesser responsibilities, less ice time, and able to focus more on his offensive skills and PP time, Werenski can be more effective on the PP than he has been “recently”. If only we had a Seth Jones to make that possible.

Not to mention, pass the puck to an idle Laine for a 1 timer, isn’t the most effective PP strategy.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I obviously am big on Bean, and am not as high on Werenski as many others, but, this is taking it a bit far.

As President/VP of the Jake Bean fan club, we must be a bit more responsible. You think the Bean hate is bad now?!?

Also, with lesser responsibilities, less ice time, and able to focus more on his offensive skills and PP time, Werenski can be more effective on the PP than he has been “recently”. If only we had a Seth Jones to make that possible.

Not to mention, pass the puck to an idle Laine for a 1 timer, isn’t the most effective PP strategy.
The fact is that defensively and physically Jake is worse.
Why keep repeating the mantra about Laine?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Yeah, if only he hadn't decided to bail on the team when he was needed most. :eyeroll:

Seth Jones no longer beling a Blue Jacket is soley, exclusively, 100% Seth Jones' fault and Seth Jones' fault alone.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yeah, if only he hadn't decided to bail on the team when he was needed most. :eyeroll:

Seth Jones no longer beling a Blue Jacket is soley, exclusively, 100% Seth Jones' fault and Seth Jones' fault alone.

Nobody around here knows annything about WHY Jones and Torts made the decisions they did, and why things seemed to change so drastically and quickly.

What if Jones and Torts (like SOME fans around here) didn’t agree with the decisions and direction being made and expressed by the people above them??

If anything Jones and Torts have been proven to make the correct decisions.

I stick behind the idea that if Jarmo was willing to make a move to bring in Caleb Jones, Seth Jones would still be on the CBJ. Can you tell me if that’s true or not?? If not, you shouldn’t talk on the subject in the way you do.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nobody around here knows annything about WHY Jones and Torts made the decisions they did, and why things seemed to change so drastically and quickly.

What if Jones and Torts (like SOME fans around here) didn’t agree with the decisions and direction being made and expressed by the people above them??

I stick behind the idea that if Jarmo was willing to make a move to bring in Caleb Jones, Seth Jones would still be on the CBJ. Can you tell me if that’s true or not?? If not, you shouldn’t talk on the subject in the way you do.
The difference is that my position is based on visible evidence (he refused to resign, he demanded engineered a trade, he restricted the available destinations to a degree not seen since Adam Foote) and yours is based on self-serving speculation (he wanted out "because I was right all along").

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

There is no evidence that the departures of Jones and Torts had anything to do with each other.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Viqsi

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
The difference is that my position is based on visible evidence (he refused to resign, he demanded a trade, he restricted the available destinations to a degree not seen since Adam Foote) and yours is based on self-serving speculation (he wanted out "because I was right all along").
When did Seth Jones demand a trade?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
When did Seth Jones demand a trade?
seth jones never demanded a trade.

the team stunk after PLD forced a trade, then the jackets traded away foligno and savard at the deadline. iirc seth basically just told them he didn't want to sign up for a long-term rebuild so he planned to explore free agency, but would negotiate with teams if they wanted to trade him.

he was definitely willing to play out the rest of his contract, he just wouldn't sign an extension right after they kicked off a rebuild. not the same as demanding a trade.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
seth jones never demanded a trade.

the team stunk after PLD forced a trade, then the jackets traded away foligno and savard at the deadline. iirc seth basically just told them he didn't want to sign up for a long-term rebuild so he planned to explore free agency, but would negotiate with teams if they wanted to trade him.

he was definitely willing to play out the rest of his contract, he just wouldn't sign an extension right after they kicked off a rebuild. not the same as demanding a trade.
IIRC he did say he really only wanted to get traded to Chicago.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Im confused I thought we were trying to trade RHD on the current roster. Not one we traded *checks watch* two years ago

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I would venture to bet it's possible that more than one player gets moved. Although by moved, I think it is very possible that movement could be to the AHL. If Jiricek is ready for NHL duty that makes for a very crowded RD pool. Granted someone could get shifted to the off side, however, if our (collective) assumption that the CBJ adds a top 4 type LHD occurs, that makes for an overall crowded D room and still a lot of hope for improvement from within. In no particular order here is what I would view as the likely pool for both sides with the addition of one top 4 D (likely LHD). This could be from a high pick and forward or prospect that does not factor into the NHL pool for CBJ next year:

LHD
RHD
WerenskiBoqvist
LHD (acquisition)Jiricek
BeanGudbranson
BerniPeeke
Christiansen (RFA, NHL experience)Blankenberg
Bjork (RFA, NHL experience)
I think we're thinner on the left side at this time (at the NHL level) but certainly have players like Mateychuk, Svozil, Richard, Knazko, Makarov and Richard with long term promise. I also think we're potentially 2 years from having Jiricek as a true top pair RHD and then you also have Ceulemans coming up that can push the others (maybe). So... I can see one or even two RHD getting moved and they could always sign a veteran for depth if needed (meaning - a good deal happens to move some of the current roster and replace with a vet on a 1 year type deal)

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Gudbranson, seems unlikely
Jiricek--expected to make the jump to full time NHL role, not going anywhere

Peeke-progression wasn't what I expected this year
Boqvist-Upside on offense, PP. ? in D zone
Blankenburg--proven he can compete at this level, but can he stay healthy

Numbers say at least one of these 3 need to get moved, always possible someone plays on the left side.

Bjork--played decent in unexpected NHL role
Sweezey--AHL player----good to have if you need an extra enforcer on a given night

Sry if I Chile in.
CBus needs one more on LD.
I would ice
Werenski Severson
Provorov Boqvist
???? Gudbranson

???? May be Peeke, Blankenberg or Jiricek?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
All I know is more than 1 person is probably getting moved somehow. We've brought in 2 top 4 defensemen and not sent anybody out yet. Top that with the forward glut, multiple people will disappear before training camp in return for someone who can hopefully actually play center.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Getting Severson long term and having Jiricek long term largely makes Boqvist irrelevant. He won’t get any PP time.

I don’t want to see him go but he probably has the most value and is now the square peg.

Reactions: Toe Pick

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Boqvist likely packaged with Roslovic for Hayes? Add picks or whatever with retention.

It's possible no one moves this summer, though unlikely.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Bean - Gudbranson
Peeke - Blankenburg

In Cleveland
Svozil - Jiricek
Berni - Ceulemans
Christiansen - whoever (Bjork, Sweezey)

Carrying 8 D doesn't seem prudent, but it is an option.

Then again, Cleveland is getting kind of crowded in that scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Knazko or OJBH loaned to Europe. And maybe Bjork isn't tendered as an RFA.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
jiricek has nothing left to prove in the AHL in my opinion. he was perhaps the best defenseman in that league last season. he's like a combination of peeke (size/physicality) and boqvist (skill/shot) only he's better at their own strengths than they are.

boqvist and peeke are nice trade options for teams that need inexpensive RHD. if a team needs power play help and skill at RHD, boqvist's two years at $2.6m and top-10 pick pedigree are probably quite appealing. teams that need the opposite (a physical presence to balance out offensive LHD) would probably like peeke.

imo they should trade both of them and trust jiricek to make the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would rather Jiricek be in the AHL where things are a little more forgiving and it will allow him to play a more dominant style and develop his game step by step. Last we saw him in the NHL he wasn't close to ready and he has some flaws in his skating that need time. I don't want him in a situation where he becomes a risk averse player to avoid getting in trouble in the NHL, we want him playing aggressively. Being the best player on his team in the AHL would be fantastic for his development.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
jiricek has nothing left to prove in the AHL in my opinion. he was perhaps the best defenseman in that league last season. he's like a combination of peeke (size/physicality) and boqvist (skill/shot) only he's better at their own strengths than they are.

boqvist and peeke are nice trade options for teams that need inexpensive RHD. if a team needs power play help and skill at RHD, boqvist's two years at $2.6m and top-10 pick pedigree are probably quite appealing. teams that need the opposite (a physical presence to balance out offensive LHD) would probably like peeke.

imo they should trade both of them and trust jiricek to make the team.
Boqvist is a 22 year old D who has produced at a 35 point pace for his career, who’s CF% Rel has gotten better every year 5v5, not to mention he was one of, if not the most important piece in the Seth Jones trade. Makes barely anything and is still on an RFA deal. Not to mention he is our best PP option, and it fits our team much better to have a RHD on PP1.

Please do not trade him away, he’s not close to ending his development, even Peeke could get better but at 25 years old it’s much less likely.

I would rather Jiricek be in the AHL where things are a little more forgiving and it will allow him to play a more dominant style and develop his game step by step. Last we saw him in the NHL he wasn't close to ready and he has some flaws in his skating that need time. I don't want him in a situation where he becomes a risk averse player to avoid getting in trouble in the NHL, we want him playing aggressively. Being the best player on his team in the AHL would be fantastic for his development.
More time to focus on his strength, pivoting and backwards skating.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Boqvist is a 22 year old D who has produced at a 35 point pace for his career, who’s CF% Rel has gotten better every year 5v5, not to mention he was one of, if not the most important piece in the Seth Jones trade. Makes barely anything and is still on an RFA deal. Not to mention he is our best PP option, and it fits our team much better to have a RHD on PP1.

Please do not trade him away, he’s not close to ending his development, even Peeke could get better but at 25 years old it’s much less likely.

More time to focus on his strength, pivoting and backwards skating.

I still question whether Boqvist is a fit long term - an offense only D isn't worth much on a team that has D that can do everything.

But he's probably going to keep improving this year, and if he gets consistent PP time (I would take him on the PP over Werenski 9/10) his trade value is going to get a lot higher. We'll see. I would be listening to offers for him this summer, but not in a hurry to move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad