Speculation: Does Jarmo move a RHD at the draft...who if so?

who gets traded in this crowded group---poll open for 5 days

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Gudbranson, seems unlikely
Jiricek--expected to make the jump to full time NHL role, not going anywhere

Peeke-progression wasn't what I expected this year
Boqvist-Upside on offense, PP. ? in D zone
Blankenburg--proven he can compete at this level, but can he stay healthy

Numbers say at least one of these 3 need to get moved, always possible someone plays on the left side.

Bjork--played decent in unexpected NHL role
Sweezey--AHL player----good to have if you need an extra enforcer on a given night

Reactions: MoeBartoli

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's honestly not an easy decision, and given that the trade returns would likely be shit anyways, and we're not sure how they'll each play, I think it's best to just go into the Fall with the 5 RHD and let them sort themselves out.

If Jiricek isn't clearly better than the rest then he should be developing in the AHL a second season. He didn't look ready last I checked.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's honestly not an easy decision, and given that the trade returns would likely be shit anyways, and we're not sure how they'll each play, I think it's best to just go into the Fall with the 5 RHD and let them sort themselves out.

If Jiricek isn't clearly better than the rest then he should be developing in the AHL a second season. He didn't look ready last I checked.
Even if he does look better than the rest but still shows to many signs of not being ready he should be developing in the AHL. Sillinger was "better" than options we had at center 2 years ago and obviously this is an exaggerated example but he was clearly not ready.

I agree you can keep them all. Boqvist is probably attractive in a package deal so thats a possibility. Someone will love Peeke and his size. Blankenburg probably not desirable around the league at this point unless they sell him off dirt cheap which at that point is obviously not worth it. When Jiricek does force his way on I think Peeke may be the 1st to go.

Reactions: VT and majormajor

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And he’s the only one I have (little) faith in to be a top pair guy someday.
None of those guys were taken with the expectations of being a top pairing D, and we don't need them to be. Maybeeeeeeee Boqvist but even then realistically he was a boom/bust offensive type.

They have more value in our depth chart than they do on the trade block

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
None of those guys were taken with the expectations of being a top pairing D, and we don't need them to be. Maybeeeeeeee Boqvist but even then realistically he was a boom/bust offensive type.
Boqvist was taken with thought he could be like Morgan Reilly.
They have more value in our depth chart than they do on the trade block
I don’t disagree.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think Morgan Rielly is the most overrated player in the NHL. Maybe that is why I hate the direction our defense has been moving towards.
Hes alright when hes insulated by a guy like Muzzin but hes not a true #1 by any means. Our defense is trending much better than theirs. Werenski is better, Jiricek likely better and much more impactful, Mateychuk is still a wildcard but has very high potential.The biggest plus though is we dont have Justin Holl. That dude skates around like an offensive D but constantly kills plays and barely outpaced Gudbranson on a significantly better team. Keefe's useage of him his a fireable offense alone in my opinion

Reactions: Visnovsky and LJ7

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Of those listed I think the only one with actual val areas of the ice. There's a perception he canue is Boqvist.
I disagree, I think Peeke will have more value to someone.

He's a RHD that blocks shorts and clogs ice. The perception that he can be a shutdown guy helps. The fact that he does a good job getting shots through from the point helps too.

I think teams might view him as a discount Savard

Reactions: MoeBartoli

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
boqvist definitely has value but likely to a rebuilding team that has a spot for him. if SJS moves karlsson out that'd be an interesting fit.

peeke also has value based on traits (size, handedness, term) and would be a good target for a cap-strapped team looking to offload a solid veteran who is on a bigger contract, which coincidentally is exactly what CBJ needs. guys like alec martinez in vegas or nate schmidt in winnipeg.

blankenburg's value is tougher to read. good player, though. and on a cheap contract. and right handed. also not sure if he has a long-term spot here (although he's done a lot to earn one) with boqvist emerging, jiricek about to debut, gudbranson entrenched and ceulemans coming up (and mateychuk playing on the right in the WHL).

i think peeke gets moved this offseason to clear space for jiricek and one or both of boqvist/blankenburg gets moved the following offseason to make room for svozil/mateychuk.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My answer is depending on who is brought in to be the replacement. I think we are looking at 2, maybe 3 new D men on the roster next season.

I got the under on 50 games out of Blankenburg if he is still here.
Peeke could be acceptable on the 3rd pair with sheltered minutes.
Boqvist has a somewhat redundant skill set and might be good for under 50 games as well.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Peeke could be acceptable on the 3rd pair with sheltered minutes.
Boqvist has a somewhat redundant skill set and might be good for under 50 games as well.
peeke is far more redundant given that gudbranson is entrenched in his ideal role (third pair shutdown guy).

the only guy who boqvist is 'redundant' with is jake bean, but boqvist plays a different side/role and is far better. blankenburg has some overlap (size/handedness) and does activate quite a bit, but is a different type of player and doesn't have the same level of upside imo.

Reactions: thebus88

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I assume at least one of them goes as part of a package to upgrade, so my guess would be Boqvist as he has the most value out of that lot. If value isn't a concern and its just roster evening than my guess is Peeke.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
peeke is far more redundant given that gudbranson is entrenched in his ideal role (third pair shutdown guy).

the only guy who boqvist is 'redundant' with is jake bean, but boqvist plays a different side/role and is far better. blankenburg has some overlap (size/handedness) and does activate quite a bit, but is a different type of player and doesn't have the same level of upside imo.

Peeke and Gudbranson on the same team is awkward because neither one has any skill on the breakout pass, you don't want two of the three pairings where the RD is useless in that regard. But they're not redundant as shutdown guys, because Gudbranson doesn't play shutdown. By the numbers, Peeke has been taking a beating on zone starts and qual comp and Gudbranson has been sheltered. So if you're taking Peeke out of the picture then an RD who hasn't been playing shutdown will have to start doing it. Jiricek? Bad idea. Boqvist? Really bad idea. Gudbranson? There's a reason he hasn't been given the job.

If you look at the type of minutes they play, it's actually Boqvist who is most redundant. He's a very sheltered offensive player, basically getting all the opportunities that you'd want going to an offensive rookie like Jiricek.

Now if Jiricek stays in the AHL and we get a stopgap RD who can play hard minutes, then a Boqvist + stopgap + Gudbranson combo would make sense. But based on the talent we have currently with Jiricek joining the club, then Boqvist is more redundant than Peeke.

Reactions: domi28

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would probably open this poll up to include Ceulemans too. Not that I think he would be likely to be moved, I just think Jiricek and Gudbranson are the only two that are locks to stay.

I would move Peeke, simply because I think he’s the slot in the depth chart or the role that we need to upgrade on (similar to why Roslovic is talked about as likely to move, we need to upgrade 2C). I think that it would be something along the lines of Peeke+LAs 1st for legitimate veteran top 4 defenseman.

I also think Peeke could be moved at fairly high value, maybe the highest his value has ever been, while the others, in my mind, have fairly low relative trade value now with room to grow. Some team will be looking at his blocked shots and contract and take the plunge.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would probably open this poll up to include Ceulemans too. Not that I think he would be likely to be moved, I just think Jiricek and Gudbranson are the only two that are locks to stay.

I would move Peeke, simply because I think he’s the slot in the depth chart or the role that we need to upgrade on (similar to why Roslovic is talked about as likely to move, we need to upgrade 2C). I think that it would be something along the lines of Peeke+LAs 1st for legitimate veteran top 4 defenseman.

I also think Peeke could be moved at fairly high value, maybe the highest his value has ever been, while the others, in my mind, have fairly low relative trade value now with room to grow. Some team will be looking at his blocked shots and contract and take the plunge.

I don't know about that with Peeke's value. He took a beating this year, like 90 goals against at even strength. He wasn't good, but was also in the exact position - shutdown D on a bad team - where guys get crushed. He probably has more value in a year where he doesn't have to face that situation.

Reactions: LJ7

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
True

the only guy who boqvist is 'redundant' with is jake bean, but boqvist plays a different side/role and is far better.
False. He’s better offensively. And honestly, not by much. People seemingly forget that Bean has looked better than both Werenski and Boqvist on the PP for more than a couple games. Also, while I like him as a player, and as has been acknowledged that these guys are DIFFERENT players, it’s ridiculous for people rating Blankenburg as a “better” player than Bean, also.

I hate it when players get hurt for so long that people forget how they played when they were healthy. Also, how “healthy” was Bean, was he playing through injuries at all??

Bean > Boqvist = Blankenburg > Peeke

blankenburg has some overlap (size/handedness) and does activate quite a bit, but is a different type of player and doesn't have the same level of upside imo.

OFFENSIVE upside.

I’d argue Boqvist doesn’t have the defensive ability, awareness, or aggressiveness, to EVER be considered a top pairing defenseman. While at the same time, Blankenburg may not be able to develop his overall skill or abilities to be out there on a consistent basis. I’d argue NEITHER is a good partner for Werenski.

Boqvist doesn’t think enough/too slowly on the ice ,and Blankenburg thinks too much/erratically on the ice.

Peeke just sucks.

Reactions: Jovavic

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@thebus88

Bean>Werenski>Boqvist>Blankenburg>Berni>Peeke

Jake is very underrated, I think. Also Adam is better on PP than Zach.

Christiansen, Svozil, Sweezey and Kňažko aren't still in the main team. But if choice Sweezey versus Peeke, I prefer Sweezey because he can really play hard at the boards, in the front of the net.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
@thebus88

Bean>Werenski>Boqvist>Blankenburg>Berni>Peeke

Jake is very underrated, I think. Also Adam is better on PP than Zach.

Christiansen, Svozil, Sweezey and Kňažko aren't still in the main team. But if choice Sweezey versus Peeke, I prefer Sweezey because he can really play hard at the boards, in the front of the net.
I likr Sweezey's willingness to fight but thats mostly all hes got. Nothing more than a depth call up

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Páči sa mi Sweezeyho ochota bojovať, ale to je väčšinou všetko, čo má. Nič viac ako hĺbkové volanie
Peeke can block shoots but his first pass is bad. Also the defensive d-man must have better defense, play at the board, in the front of the net.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Peeke can block shoots but his first pass is bad. Also the defensive d-man must have better defense, play at the board, in the front of the net.
Sweezey is no better and if you put him in the same position he'd get caved in worse. The entire defense was playing at minimum 1 position above their heads and our mix was terrible. Gudbranson wasnt amazing but he was significantly better when Berni became his partner, Peeke needs a similar partner. I dont think you can put him with Werenski but maybe Bean if all these guys are back which I doubt.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->