Does Bedard have a top 5 shot in the NHL?

Does Bedard have a top 5 shot in the NHL?

• Yes it's top 5

Votes: 34 60.7%
  • No but it's top 10 for sure

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • No it's top 20

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • It's not even top 20

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I don't watch him enough to know

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matthews? Don’t see how Bedard has a better shot than him.
Matthews goal scoring isn't about having a big shot. It's about how multi-faceted he is. The best parts of his goal-scoring are probably how good he is near the net, and specifically from his shot the release is better than the power.

But he may still be 5th. I don't think it's the same category though as those players who have absolutely huge shots where they can score easily from distance. Doesn't mean he's not a better goal scorer than those guys either. He's probably better right now than all of them.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews goal scoring isn't about having a big shot. It's about how multi-faceted he is. The best parts of his goal-scoring are probably how good he is near the net, and specifically from his shot the release is better than the power.

But he may still be 5th. I don't think it's the same category though as those players who have absolutely huge shots where they can score easily from distance. Doesn't mean he's not a better goal scorer than those guys either. He's probably better right now than all of them.

Matthews doesn’t really have trouble scoring from distance at all. He has a heavier and more powerful wrist shot and certainly one timer than Bedard.

Reactions: kevrondl

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
He has a quick release and accurate wrist shot but thats about it. I could probably think of 10 guys id rather have shooting than bedard at this point in his career

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He will do that regardless
He needs to do a better job of getting more open looks, and specifically more looks in tight, if he's gonna break 40 this year. He averaged just shy of 3 shots/gp last year and is at 7 thru 3 games this year. If his volume doesn't increase, he'll need to shoot at >16% to break 40, which will be tough to do if he keeps shooting from outside the dots.

Kid has an absolute weapon of a wrister, but it does take time and space for him to get it off clean. But even an elite release like his is going to be stopped by most NHL goalies pretty routinely when it comes from the mid range and beyond, which is where a lot of his shooting attempts originate. He's obviously able to still beat goalies clean from that distance, but it's just not going to happen for him like it did in junior.

Since the start of last year, here's his 5v5 shooting ranks among the 380 forwards with >500 mins
  • 113th in shots/60
  • 97th in iCF/60
  • 260th in iHDCF/60
  • 316th in high danger chances as % of shot attempts
I do think playing with a top end playmaker like TT could help with this, but getting more chances in high danger areas is a big growth opportunity for him.

Reactions: Crow

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think it’s probably 5th but I voted top 10.

Completely agree with the above. I just think this is something that’s going to happen now that he plays with actual top 6 talent.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
This is kind of a weird question. Everyone knows he has a wicked shot but he hasn't played enough for the goal totals to back it up. So... has a good shot, but it's yet to actually show in the stat sheet?

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
22 goals last season with 10.7 sh% isn't a top 20 shot in the league. Let's wait and see what happens this year before anointing him.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not sure you can really say for sure hes top 5 atm. A lot of really good shooters in the NHL. Like compare his shot with Guenther, whos is better?

Right now i'd probably lean Guenther.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
People just looking at his goal total are missing part of the picture. It can’t be overstated just how little support he had last year. Teams could absolutely sell out to clog his shooting lanes. Look at Seth Jones goal the other night as an example. Two guys absolutely sell out to take away Bedard’s shot, he passes it to Jones who scores. I think with more support, and more teammates that defenders have to concern themselves with, he will get a bit more time to set up the shot he wants (like his goal against the oilers).

In a vacuum he absolutely has a top 5 shot in the league. I really don’t think it’s debatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad