Do you want Ovechkin to break Gretzky's goal record?

Do you want him to score 895 and pass Gretzky?

• Yes- History will be made

Votes: 416 55.1%
  • No- Screw him

Votes: 339 44.9%

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It would probably be good for hockey if Ovechkin surpassed Gretzky's record, and particularly if he did it while still a good goal-scorer. But, personally, I don't care either way.

And neither of them are the greatest goal-scorer ever. Lemieux is.

Greatest ever not even top 10 despite playing in the highest scoring era? yeah nah.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
He sure looks like one right now. The decline was inevitable given his recent play and age, of course. I’ll gladly eat crow if he ends up over 70 pts and 30 goals, though.

So what though?

Most players evolve into compilers at Ovechkin's age. Gretzky was his final year. Howe was his last 2 NHL seasons (sandwiched between his WHA stint). Jagr certainly was.
These are the guys Ovechkin has been chasing.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Lemieux is the best, but Ovechkin is the greatest

Except Ovechkin had a higher adjusted GPG for several hundred more games played than Lemieux, and Ovechkin led the NHL in goals 9 times to Lemieux's 3.

Lemieux has neither the highest raw single season goal total or the highest adjusted single season goal total of his own era whereas Ovechkin has both.

Even on a per game basis, Lemieux has neither the highest single season GPG or the highest single season adjusted GPG of his own era. And again, Ovechkin has both.

Ovechkin may be many things regarding goal scoring or otherwise, but greatness he'll never achieve.

What would drive someone to make such a blatantly irrational statement?

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
My answer would be no, but not screw him… Gretzky just holds a special place in hockey and in my life.

I like Ovechkin, but I want Greta’s record to hold.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Lemieux has the best highlight reel I guess but he is not the best or greatest goal scorer.

Reactions: Crow

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Except Ovechkin had a higher adjusted GPG for several hundred more games played than Lemieux, and Ovechkin led the NHL in goals 9 times to Lemieux's 3.

Lemieux has neither the highest raw single season goal total or the highest adjusted single season goal total of his own era whereas Ovechkin has both.

Even on a per game basis, Lemieux has neither the highest single season GPG or the highest single season adjusted GPG of his own era. And again, Ovechkin has both.

What would drive someone to make such a blatantly irrational statement?

I don’t think it’s outlandish to consider peak Lemieux a better goal scorer than Ovechkin at his best. 1989, 1993, 1996, heck even 2001 Lemieux who scored 35 goals in 43 games in a season you don’t even need adjustments for, and that was after a 3 1/2 year retirement at age 35.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lemieux has the best highlight reel I guess but he is not the best or greatest goal scorer.

Yeah the guy who scored 85 goals in 76 games, 69 in 60, 69 in 70, 35 in 43 after a 3 1/2 year retirement at age 35, and two playoff runs over a goal per game which as far as I can see is the only player in the modern era to even accomplish this, has no case for best goal scorer (and he did all this while being the best playmaker besides Gretzky in NHL history)

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don’t think it’s outlandish to consider peak Lemieux a better goal scorer than Ovechkin at his best. 1989, 1993, 1996, heck even 2001 Lemieux who scored 35 goals in 43 games in a season you don’t even need adjustments for, and that was after a 3 1/2 year retirement at age 35.

It is outlandish.

The best goal scorer ever would at least have the best goal scoring season of his own generation, or at least the best GPG season of his own generation by raw stats or adjusted. Those are bare minimums for someone called the best.

Lemieux has none of those things.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It is outlandish.

The best goal scorer ever would at least have the best goal scoring season of his own generation, or at least the best GPG season of his own generation by raw stats or adjusted. Those are bare minimums for someone called the best.

Ovechkin had very little competition for his Rockets. He’s fortunate that Stamkos, early on, his only consistent, legitimate threat got neutered, because otherwise, he’d almost certainly have 3-4 Rockets less.

Lemieux has always been the more impressive, lethal, and diverse goal scorer.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It is outlandish.

Yeah that’s just your naturally extremely biased opinion. Anyone who knows a thing about hockey knows Lemieux has as good a case as anyone for best peak goal scorer. Twice he went over a goal per game in the playoffs and these adjustments you’re alluding to are extremely close and Ovechkin has one such season compared to three of Lemieux’s best. Once again ignoring how he’s scored at a peak Ovechkin level in 2001 after not playing hockey for almost 4 years.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Given the difference in goals per game between eras, and I know Gretzky finished his career in the later 90s, it would say something about today's game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin had very little competition for his Rockets. He’s fortunate that Stamkos, early on, his only consistent, legitimate threat got neutered, because otherwise, he’d almost certainly have 3-4 Rockets less.

Lemieux has always been the more impressive, lethal, and diverse goal scorer.

If Lemieux is the best, then no level of competition would have prevented him from performing the best of his era. Yet he objectively didn't.

Again, Lemieux has neither highest goal total, nor the highest adjusted goal total, nor the highest GPG, nor the highest adjusted GPG season of his own era.

The best goal scorer is not going to go without any of these things. Ovechkin has them all. Lemieux has none.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yeah that’s just your naturally extremely biased opinion. Anyone who knows a thing about hockey knows Lemieux has as good a case as anyone for best peak goal scorer. Twice he went over a goal per game in the playoffs and these adjustments you’re alluding to are extremely close and Ovechkin has one such season compared to three of Lemieux’s best. Once again ignoring how he’s scored at a peak Ovechkin level in 2001 after not playing hockey for almost 4 years.

Lemieux had 1 useful half season after age 32, and it was on a line with the best player in the world on a team where he would fire or trade anyone if they didn't pass him the puck enough - regardless of the tremendous damage it did to the team (Zubov).

He couldn't sustain it. He dropped to under a PPG in the playoffs and went the final 6 games with zero goals and a .5 ppg.

Having all of that rest is a positive for a player in their 30s, not a negative. It's not a feather in his cap that Lemieux was a quitter. It doesn't bolster his case. Okay maybe it does for some of us, but it really shouldn't. Showing up and playing is what should be respected IMO.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I don’t care that it’s Ovechkin himself. It’d be nice to see someone break the record who I saw coming into the league as a rookie when I was a teenager. Love the nostalgia.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If Lemieux is the best, then no level of competition would have prevented him from performing the best of his era. Yet he objectively didn't.

Again, Lemieux has neither highest goal total, nor the highest adjusted goal total, nor the highest GPG, nor the highest adjusted GPG season of his own era.

The best goal scorer is not going to go without any of these things. Ovechkin has them all. Lemieux has none.

Didn’t say he was the best.

But he was certainly better than Ovechkin has ever been.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Lemieux had 1 useful half season after age 32, and it was on a line with the best player in the world on a team where he would fire or trade anyone if they didn't pass him the puck enough - regardless of the tremendous damage it did to the team (Zubov).
Here's a thought, perhaps this thing we call a "hockey franchise" actually operates as a business. And what pray tell is the primary objective of any business? That's right, to avoid financial losses. In other words, retaining capital expenses beyond one's means isn't a sustainable business practice.

Just a thought, but hey what do i know. I'm sure the version of events you have in your head is the far more likely scenario seeing as how you are so well versed on the ins and outs of the Penguins franchise. And here I thought you were a Caps fan.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

He couldn't sustain it. He dropped to under a PPG in the playoffs and went the final 6 games with zero goals and a .5 ppg.

Having all of that rest is a positive for a player in their 30s, not a negative. It's not a feather in his cap that Lemieux was a quitter. It doesn't bolster his case. Okay maybe it does for some of us, but it really shouldn't. Showing up and playing is what should be respected IMO.
This post is probably exhibit A why some posters don't want Ovi to break the record.

The assault of exaggeration would be mindblowing if it happens in 2027 or whatever at this point as Ovi looks cooked.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad