Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you think this team is better or worse going into next season?

• Total voters

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They added a coach that actually belongs in the NHL, a great #2-3 d-man, and Stolarz who's way better than Shitsonov at about the same money. It's absurd to think they didn't improve. Knies has another year of development too.

It's all relatively meaningless because they won't win anything of significance, but this is the best roster this teams started a season with in the last 8 years

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well if you haven't heard him say it, I guess he didn't. :sarcasm:

I mean I never said that.

I will say I will believe it when I see it, and I'm not talking about for a shift or two, or a game or 2, or even if there is an injury for a couple weeks.

I mean a significant length of time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I mean I never said that.

I will say I will believe it when I see it, and I'm not talking about for a shift or two, or a game or 2, or even if there is an injury for a couple weeks.

I mean a significant length of time.
I think that's the point - we've never seen him more than a game or two, and we should wait to judge.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Better or worse?
First, worse is impossible!
So better it is. Keefe could never create a team. 6 or 7 players dominated making the bottom 6 useless and not engaged.
Mitchy played pp and pk...your bottom 6 must play minutes on pk to be successful. They cannot sit every game without responsibility and be part of the team.
JT played pp minutes, every game, first unit, some 2nd unit, while others sit, game after game.
Keefe allowed the core to determine these decisions, either directly or indirectly like pouting by Mitchy.
They were allowed to play a basketball òffence so skating hard, and puck retrieval was optional.
For these reasons I believe the coaching change will make this a better TEAM, and thus a better season. They may have less points, but they will have 18 skaters engaged on the team, not 10 and come the playoffs, that matters.

Reactions: Bust and arso40

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Fair, it depends who the rookie is though. I don't really like putting a too six forward prospect on the bottom line. I would rather see that player develop as a top six on the Marlies.

Minten, Quillan, Steeves, Tverberg, Hirvonen could all play on the fourth line. I think Cowan and Grebyonkin need to be too nine.

I put McMann on the third line, because I like him and think he can carry a line a bit and I don't see big ice time differences between L2 and L3.
Yes, the only thing that concerns me is it possibly hurting Cowan's development in the long run. But I do agree that McMann would be good on the 3rd line. Grebyonkin could turn out to be a pleasant surprise.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Ryan's 2cents or maybe his hockey sense. I knew all that Toronto media smoke was bogus. He talked to Kypper and Sammy at the Leafs end of year golf tournament, both of those players were absent from the event. Jus sayin

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Ryan's 2cents or maybe his hockey sense. I knew all that Toronto media smoke was bogus. He talked to Kypper and Sammy at the Leafs end of year golf tournament, both of those players were absent from the event. Jus sayin

First of all Ryan is no authority on winning. Second, there is zero evidence this story has any truth to it whatsoever. It’s less substantiated than the reports around media scrutiny and some disagreement on coaching tactics were that you seem all so ready to cast aside to support your narrative.

Reactions: tuckerintensity

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s basically no better and no worse just the same as the last 6 years

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The team that wasn't good enough last year should at least be as not good enough again this year.

They're probably not gonna be any worse. But they're probably not gonna be any better either. Even though they weren't good enough last year.

This team has been grossly mismanaged to the point where I, as a fan, have to question ownerships motives.

Do they prioritise winning or making a buck. Because right now it seems like it's all about the money. The whole team has become a cult worshipping at the altar of mammon.

The fans call it ML$E for a reason.

So the greatest fan base in the world continues to pay for mediocrity. While Treliving shuffles the duds around, brings in yet another questionable goalie, and calls that a successful summer. At the end of the day the team might not be any worse but it probably won't be any better either.

Even though it still wasn't good enough last year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The team that wasn't good enough last year should at least be as not good enough again this year.

They're probably not gonna be any worse. But they're probably not gonna be any better either. Even though they weren't good enough last year.

This team has been grossly mismanaged to the point where I, as a fan, have to question ownerships motives.

Do they prioritise winning or making a buck. Because right now it seems like it's all about the money. The whole team has become a cult worshipping at the altar of mammon.

The fans call it ML$E for a reason.

So the greatest fan base in the world continues to pay for mediocrity. While Treliving shuffles the duds around, brings in yet another questionable goalie, and calls that a successful summer. At the end of the day the team might not be any better.

But it probably won't be any worse either.
According to the guy at the top, who knows golf, they are not here to sell jerseys. After watching them shuffle the deck chairs once again this summer, he is just as much full of shit as the rest of them. Berube is our only hope.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
According to the guy at the top, who knows golf, they are not here to sell jerseys. After watching them shuffle the deck chairs once again this summer, he is just as much full of shit as the rest of them. Berube is our only hope.

All this team does is sell hope to the unsuspecting.

I get more enjoyment from the off ice soap opera than I do the actual on ice product. Their incompetence has provided me more entertainment than if they had won it all. I still enjoy watching the games obviously.

But the bulk of my time spent following this team comes from discussing how screwed up it is.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
First of all Ryan is no authority on winning. Second, there is zero evidence this story has any truth to it whatsoever. It’s less substantiated than the reports around media scrutiny and some disagreement on coaching tactics were that you seem all so ready to cast aside to support your narrative.
Not too mention it's very different than actual things we know he has said about the locker room and some specific people in it.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yup. The new guy at the top was selling false hope. Another big talker running the Leafs

Reactions: ToneDog

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yup. The new guy at the top was selling false hope. Another big talker running the Leafs
False hope?

A lot of people complaining just to complain around here.

What more could the Leafs have done this off-season? New coach(es), new captain, new D, new G, room for youngsters and no extensions for JT or MM.

What specifically would you have like to see done that wasn't done.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
False hope?

What more could the Leafs have done this off-season? New coach(es), new captain, new D, new G, room for youngsters and no extensions for JT or MM.

It must be exhausting being so negative every day.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
False hope?

Switching captains is a meaningless exercise. Unless you think that now that Matthews is the captain he will magically lead them to the promised land.As far as the rest of it it just one more rehash of perimeter players.
Not sure how long you have been around but many of us have seen the same dance for almost a decade now.
Yes I understand that there wasn’t much they could do with Marner and Tavares this year but then the new boss shouldn’t have been full of big talk. As far as the new coach I do like that move. Hopefully he can reach them before they get him fired

Exactly.

This is why I ask if they have any other ideas, most of them don't.
It’s not our job to have all the answers up that doesn’t mean that we can’t see that things are messed up

Reactions: therealkoho

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Switching captains is a meaningless exercise. Unless you think that now that Matthews is the captain he will magically lead them to the promised land.As far as the rest of it it just one more rehash of perimeter players.
Not sure how long you have been around but many of us have seen the same dance for almost a decade now.
Yes I understand that there wasn’t much they could do with Marner and Tavares this year but then the new boss shouldn’t have been full of big talk

It’s not our job to have all the answers up that doesn’t mean that we can’t see that things are messed up

I just don't like complaining for the sake of complaining. They made a lot of changes and the games haven't started yet. If you are so sure if won't work and you blame the new guy for it, then you must have ideas as to what he could ha e done differently.

Otherwise it reads like complaining for the sake of complaining.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I just don't like complaining for the sake of complaining. They made a lot of changes and the games haven't started yet. If you are so sure if won't work and you blame the new guy for it, then you must have ideas as to what he could ha e done differently.

Otherwise it reads like complaining for the sake of complaining.
The things I would have done is retroactive .
Not signed Tavares
Fire Dubas when it became evident that his crazy build model would not work but refused to pivot.
Fire Keefe a few years ago
Shanny should have been fired this year for allowing all this to happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad