Do you think the building of the core is done?

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 156 65.0%

• Total voters

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
Won’t quote the same things that have been said over and over again, but it is documented that Michkov is not well liked by teammates
Documented by whom? McCagg? I guess it was also "documented" that he was stuck in Russia under contract for 3 years and Putin might not let him leave or he might sign for more years. Apparently that "documented" stuff isn't too accurate. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Documented by whom? McCagg? I guess it was also "documented" that he was stuck in Russia under contract for 3 years and Putin might not let him leave or he might sign for more years. Apparently that "documented" stuff isn't too accurate. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yep!

Instead of using Matvei Michkov, the so called best prospect in the world, for the 4 years they had control of him.. they decided to:
- Loan him to their competitor in the KHL
- Go to the NHL with 2 years left on his contract, with the caveat being that if he doesn't make the NHL that he would be loaned out a 3rd year.

Surely nothing to see here about the individual. He's so talented, he's so good, he's an amazing teammate and person, yet with 4 years of control they've done everything but entertain having him play in their organization.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
What I really like is the depth of our prospect pool considering we already have bunch of young players established in NHL. I guess there will at least one player who will surprise us a become part of 1G, top 4D and top 6F. It is actually pretty common around the league with guys like Marchessault, Hagel, Bratt, Batherson, Kaprizov etc. You do not have to be 1st round pick. I would bet on guys like Volokhin, Engstrom, Kapanen, Eriksson or F. Xhekaj.
And we still have huge amount of draft picks in upcoming years.

Reactions: Redux91 and dralaf

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Yep!

Instead of using Matvei Michkov, the so called best prospect in the world, for the 4 years they had control of him.. they decided to:
- Go to the NHL with 2 years left on his contract, with the caveat being that if he doesn't make the NHL that he would be loaned out a 3rd year.

Surely nothing to see here about the individual. He's so talented, he's so good, he's an amazing teammate and person, yet with 4 years of control they've done everything but entertain having him play in their organization.
Add to that, Bobrov’s father knows him since he is a teenager. Probably knows the full story behind his father’s mysterious death.

We might bite the dust because the kid is that talented, but to imply that these rumors are Hockey30 level rumors is dishonest

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah Toronto is probably the worst example. They are stuck in being bad forever. Every single championship team has one very elite player. Our chance of winning it increase by lot if Demidov can become the 90+ player in the league or we have multiple 80+ player (kinda like Vegas).
We have so many players with incredible potential.

Slaf, Demidov and Hutson are all really interesting prospects. And while CC might no longer be the blue chip scoring star that I had hoped he would be, he could still recover and reach his potential. Dach and Suzuki are really good two way centers. Then you've got Roy who has shown so much potential. And that doesn't even get into most of the back end. It's such a deep group of excellent young prospects/players.

I don't see the generational superstar but there are a few with franchise player potential. Even if they don't reach that though, they should all be really good players. There aren't many clubs with the stable of young prospects that we've got.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
People have probably hear this a 10000 times here. But we need a elite center. Dach coming back next year is a big mysteries for all of us. Is he going to be a elite center? a 50 points center or a injury prone player?

We secured two #1 wingers in Slaf and Demidov. Elite top 3 D with Reinbacher. Our biggest need right now is a elite center (if Dach don't comeback at 100%).

If Nick Suzuki has injure last season, i'm pretty sure we are drafting in the top 3.
and still would have selected Demidov (imo). so last year turned out peachily.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
most likely yes.... now would be the perfect time to win the lottery too... because Im greedy.

Move up enough to grab Porter Malone and this rebuild is done and ready to launch this franchise into orbit...

By fall '26-'27, our forward group, minus any UFA/trade adds, would have a mix of elite talent, speed & depth few teams will be able to match...

25-27 years old
Suzuki/CC/Dach/Newhook - '99-'01

22-24 yrs old
Slaf/Roy/Beck/Kapanen/Xhekaj/Mesar -'02-'04

20-22 years old
Demidov/Hage/Koivu/Malone/?? -'05-'07

Plus all the other prospects who have NHL upside... Eriksson, Rohrer, Kidney, Tuch etc

One heck of a talent pipeline HUGO have created in just 3 offseasons.

Future is bright 😎

Reactions: themilosh

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't know if the core is done but between who was already have/drafted, other assets (picks 10xtop 90 25/26 and players to be traded Savard, Matheson, Dvorak, Evans) and cap space we have everything we need, now we need player to live up or outperform to their potentiel/contract. A Lottery win 1 or 2 would definately seal the deal...

FW we need a CC, Suzuki, Dach, Slaf, Demidov to be impact players
we need guy like Newhook, Roy and other player to be avg replacement or better

RD, we need 2 of Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron to be legit top 4 and someone to be avg replacement or better
LD, We need the same from Ghule, Hutson, Xhekaj and others
G if the team is elite we need a #1 that won't cost us games

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Next summer we be like Nashville. They had 99 points, then added Stamkos, Marchessault and Skjec. You know they cup favorite
Nashville is not built on a lot of their own recent draft picks. If i recall they have not drafted in the top 10 in over 10 years (Seth Jones). Their highest pick in their system is Askarov @ 11 a few years ago. Many pickups and FA signings.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Premature to say yes. I agree there. But if the core we have in place don't produce, we are shit out of luck because that was some crazy high draft power.

We know what we got with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle.

Key players are Demidov, Slaf, Dach. They have a chance to be as good or better than the 3 proven ones above.

Then there are 10-15 players behind this 6 as support.

Still lots of draft power to improve it.
You pretty much nailed it.

We are now in the most challenging phase of our rebuild: turning players with high potential into top producers.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Premature to say yes. I agree there. But if the core we have in place don't produce, we are shit out of luck because that was some crazy high draft power.

Key players are Demidov, Slaf, Dach. They have a chance to be as good or better than the 3 proven ones above.

I could see us adding more key players, whether through the draft, free agency or trade:

I'm liking the assets we have and that Hughes is a good asset manager. It will be ineresting to see how good the best players become and what Hughes does with the depth of assets.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Demidov - Dach - Hage
Roy - Kapanen/Beck - Newhook
Xhekaj - Beck/Kapanen - Heineman/Evans

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Montembault

Surplus vet assets that will be converted to picks and prospects: Savard, Armia, Dvo.

Surplus youth that may be able to be converted to assets: Struble, Barron, Harris, Engstrom, Mesar, Farrell, Bogdan.

Last edited:

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Yep!

Those allegations are nothing but hearsay :sarcasm:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Next summer like to add top prospect. Then trade the extra first along with return we get for Savard for another good player. If we could draft 12th so. Then add a McGroarty type, at same time. Be good shot in arm to team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could see us adding more key players, whether through the draft, free agency or the draft:

I'm liking the assets we have and that Hughes is a good asset manager. It will be ineresting to see how good the best players become and what Hughes does with the depth of assets.

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Demidov - Dach - Hage
Roy - Newhook - Kapanen/Beck
Xhekaj - Beck/Kapanen - Heineman/Evans

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Fowler
Montembault

Surplus vet assets that will be converted to picks and prospects: Savard, Armia, Dvo.

Surplus youth that may be able to be converted to assets: Struble, Barron, Harris, Engstrom, Mesar, Farrell, Bogdan.

There is lots to work with but it's at the early stages. Next few years are transition and that's when we will know. I have confidence this pool turns into a top 10 team for several years. Just not sure sure if we are top 5 yet.

You pretty much nailed it.

We are now in the most challenging phase of our rebuild: turning players with high potential into top producers.

One area I just posted about is... I feel we have high % to be top 10 or around that. Top 5? Too early to know.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
No, still missing some pieces, especially in goal.

They think Fowler is that answer in goal. I know it's the most historically important position for the organization but goaltending is actually the easiest to address. As for the other missing pieces, the only thing missing for the competitive window is a 2nd line winger/no.6 F. Roy-Newhook could become a staple on the Habs third line for years. They have enough prospect depth to fill out a good fourth line. They have their future D core on lock. The only thing besides that is TDL acquisitions to bolster the roster.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

We are not over yet.

We have two first round picks next season. One of them should be at worst middle of the 1st round. The other could be either middle of the pack at worst or end of first round. We also have two 2nd round pick. Both of them should be relatively high and at a position where the players who slip out of the 1st round are still available. We also have three 3rd round pick. We could use them to move up a bit from the 2nd round picks we have and then package 2nds to move up from the 1st round pick. We are in a position where we could package picks to move up next year.

We should acquire more picks too. I'm not a fan of Dvorak but if he remains healthy he should return a 2nd round pick at the deadline and i don't see KH keeping him he's going to be traded. Armia it will depend. If he can play a whole year like he did in the 2nd half last year he will return a pick 3rd round maybe even 2nd he's more talented than people give him credit and i could see him giving his 100% in a contract year. If David Savard remains healthy and play like last year he return a 2nd easy maybe a cond 1st. He's a vet RHD with lot of experience.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The same could be said about a true #1 center like MacKinnon. We have good player with the team. We don't have any 100pts+ player or PPG (yet).
This can be said of all teams rebuilding. I'm not even sure why so many of our fans are so focussed on that. I like what SJ is doing but all their kids are still question marks. Atm we DO NOT need to acquire anything. We need to wait and see. After that will be the time to acquire the missing pieces.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
This can be said of all teams rebuilding. I'm not even sure why so many of our fans are so focussed on that. I like what SJ is doing but all their kids are still question marks. Atm we DO NOT need to acquire anything. We need to wait and see. After that will be the time to acquire the missing pieces.

The goal of rebuilding the team is to win the Stanley cup right? To build a championship team right? Look at the last 4 winners of the stanley cup. They all have game breaking talent player or multiple elite player. Nathan, Maker, Barkov, Kucherov...)

I don't know if we have a championship team or just a good team. We will see in the future. Maybe Demidov can be the game breaking talent we need to be elite team in the league. Maybe we win the 2025 lottery and have multiple very very good player?

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I have no idea yet what the core is. It's been a long long time since I have seen the habs have so many good prospects. The law of averages says many wont make it but right now it sure looks like habs have about 8 hits ranging from 75% to 95% quality players. Last year if you stopped the 1st line you stopped the habs. this year we have 2 lines for offense next year it's possible habs have 4 lines that have talent YIKES. not just 1. IN 2-3 years the habs entire team would start their prime years ( a full 5 year window) YIKES YIKES>

Reactions: dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad