Do you think the building of the core is done?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • No

Votes: 156 65.0%

• Total voters

Montrealcowboys

Jan 7, 2020
One thing for sure, with Ivan Demidov, the core at forwards look very very solid to me. We are in very good hands.

Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach (need to stay healthy) and Demidov. That's a very solid core to me!

Add to that, Roy, Newhook, Hage, Beck and more... that's really really solid.

At D, Reinbacher can develop into a top pairing two-way beast. Guhle need to be healthy, but he is going to be a excellent top pairing D. Hutson have potential to be a star. Mailloux have all tools to be a top 4 D. Xhekaj is very unique and have high potential aswell. Engstrom, top 4 D potential. Konyushkov aswell. Very good future on D, for sure.

At G's... Fowler, Dobes, Volokhin and Miller that's really good potential right there. I'm very high on Fowler, Dobes and Volokhin.

The future is 100% bright. The rest can be add with UFA's or trades.

The 3 year of tanking are over (except injuries can change everything) but MTL will likely finish top 10-14 next year.

Habs scouts nailed it with Slaf and Demidov, they are both have unreal potential. 80-90 pts is my prediction for both. I'm high on both. Demidov is more talented at offense, but Slaf is also have high offensive talent with amazing physical package.

Reinbacher pick looks even more better after that, less pressure for him and he is going to take all times to develop.
"Tanking?" That was not tanking, that was being a terrible team devoid of talent. That was "organic" losing.

Reactions: MasterD

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm going to say no because until they've established themselves at the NHL level I can't say yes. However I will say I do believe the group of young guys we currently have CAN realize that goal.

Premature to say yes. I agree there. But if the core we have in place don't produce, we are shit out of luck because that was some crazy high draft power.

We know what we got with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle.

Key players are Demidov, Slaf, Dach. They have a chance to be as good or better than the 3 proven ones above.

Then there are 10-15 players behind this 6 as support.

Still lots of draft power to improve it.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
People have probably hear this a 10000 times here. But we need a elite center. Dach coming back next year is a big mysteries for all of us. Is he going to be a elite center? a 50 points center or a injury prone player?

We secured two #1 wingers in Slaf and Demidov. Elite top 3 D with Reinbacher. Our biggest need right now is a elite center (if Dach don't comeback at 100%).

If Nick Suzuki has injure last season, i'm pretty sure we are drafting in the top 3.

Reactions: Theodore450

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People have probably hear this a 10000 times here. But we need a elite center. Dach coming back next year is a big mysteries for all of us. Is he going to be a elite center? a 50 points center or a injury prone player?

We secured two #1 wingers in Slaf and Demidov. Elite top 3 D with Reinbacher. Our biggest need right now is a elite center (if Dach don't comeback at 100%).

If Nick Suzuki has injure last season, i'm pretty sure we are drafting in the top 3.

Some reports out there that Demidov plays both center and wing and prefers center because he is more engaged. Interesting development.

Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Some reports out there that Demidov plays both center and wing and prefers center because he is more engaged. Interesting development.

It could be interesting to see Demidov play at center. I still prefer him in the wing and hope Dach can comeback at 100%. Having a 6ft4 center for the playoff would be huge.

We have a huge hole in the second line with out Dach.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It could be interesting to see Demidov play at center. I still prefer him in the wing and hope Dach can comeback at 100%. Having a 6ft4 center for the playoff would be huge.

We have a huge hole in the second line with out Dach.

I still think Dach can provide the value we expect on wing. Basically becomes a skilled power winger. We will see because it's early yet with Demidov at center.... just herd that news a few days ago from Demidov himself.

Slaf / Demidov / Caufield: Offensive line

Newhook / Suzuki / Dach: 2 way line taking the tough match-ups. Dach with Suzuki would be a very strong combo and Newhook's speed mix in with that makes it very dangerous

Roy / Hage / Beck: Another 2 way line providing protection for the Suzuki line in the match-up game. A very good 3rd line is important.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I still think Dach can provide the value we expect on wing. Basically becomes a skilled power winger. We will see because it's early yet with Demidov at center.... just herd that news a few days ago from Demidov himself.

Slaf / Demidov / Caufield: Offensive line

Newhook / Suzuki / Dach: 2 way line taking the tough match-ups. Dach with Suzuki would be a very strong combo and Newhook's speed mix in with that makes it very dangerous

Roy / Hage / Beck: Another 2 way line providing protection for the Suzuki line in the match-up game. A very good 3rd line is important.

They won't let a 19 years old play at center in the KHL. I also don't see MSL trying Demidov in the center position in his first year in the NHL. Kuznetsov will sign with Demidov khl team.

The only i can see him playing at center if Dach is really bad at it or request to play at wing.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I think they want it to be but the way things are going they will likely be picking between 5-10 in 2025 so they will get to add another strong piece.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The same could be said about a true #1 center like MacKinnon. We have good player with the team. We don't have any 100pts+ player or PPG (yet).
True. Yet. I get the feeling that the top 6 will end up being incredibly solid, but could still lack that 100+ player. Unfortunately, if they haven’t been drafted yet, I doubt the Habs pick high enough to get him in the future. Now, that’s not to say they won’t compete for a cup, because as Toronto has shown, 100 point players don’t necessarily win cups.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
True. Yet. I get the feeling that the top 6 will end up being incredibly solid, but could still lack that 100+ player. Unfortunately, if they haven’t been drafted yet, I doubt the Habs pick high enough to get him in the future. Now, that’s not to say they won’t compete for a cup, because as Toronto has shown, 100 point players don’t necessarily win cups.

Demidov has that potential.. we'd have to win the McKenna lottery otherwise.

Reactions: schwang26

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I don't think its done, and since the Habs didn't partake in the UFA frenzy I don't think they think its done either. If we challenge for a playoff spot next year then that changes everything and basically the core is done prematurely.

I think with a top 5 pick next year it'll be officially over.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I don't think its done, and since the Habs didn't partake in the UFA frenzy I don't think they think its done either. If we challenge for a playoff spot next year then that changes everything and basically the core is done prematurely.

If they turn out to be that bad again, then something has definitely gone wrong.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
i dont like the term core per say. Feels toronto'ish. I think kent is building something a bit different. It feels a little more sustainable. Fair contracts with fair lengths. Let the young players play. Build big mobile d men. Looks good to me.

Having a "core" is the perfect set up for excuses.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
You could be right, but it also could mean injuries or a slight pause in our youngsters progression.
It all falls under the same umbrella of “something went wrong”. I’m officially done with the ridiculous amount of injuries this team has sustained! No team is that unlucky.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Premature to say yes. I agree there. But if the core we have in place don't produce, we are shit out of luck because that was some crazy high draft power.

We know what we got with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle.

Key players are Demidov, Slaf, Dach. They have a chance to be as good or better than the 3 proven ones above.

Then there are 10-15 players behind this 6 as support.

Still lots of draft power to improve it.

Agreed, although Guhle could very well take another big step as is common with top dmen as they rarely have established themselves as true top pairing D at such a young age. Caufield has also yet to score 30 goals and will hopefully get back to being a top tier sniper that he was showing signs of two seasons ago.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
i dont like the term core per say. Feels toronto'ish. I think kent is building something a bit different. It feels a little more sustainable. Fair contracts with fair lengths. Let the young players play. Build big mobile d men. Looks good to me.

Having a "core" is the perfect set up for excuses.

Core is the correct term and has been used in meaningful way long before the Maple Leafs situation came along. Whether you like the term or not it is the word that people understand to represent the most important pieces of a team that are unlikely to be traded any time soon. That is how language works.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Agreed the building of a core is never done until you WIN and are able to win consistently in the post season.
Even then you may not take home the big prize without some luck some balance and some depth.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They won't let a 19 years old play at center in the KHL. I also don't see MSL trying Demidov in the center position in his first year in the NHL. Kuznetsov will sign with Demidov khl team.

The only i can see him playing at center if Dach is really bad at it or request to play at wing.

Demidov played center during the MHL playoffs and has all of the skills to develop into a 1C, he is also the only left handed shot out of Suzuki, Dach, Beck, Kapanen and Hage. Xhekaj is a lefty as well but as you can see there is a desperate need for a LHC like Demidov could potentially become. I see him playing with Dach where they alternate at center depending on where the faceoff is taking place so that they will always be on their strong hand.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

Yeah Toronto is probably the worst example. They are stuck in being bad forever. Every single championship team has one very elite player. Our chance of winning it increase by lot if Demidov can become the 90+ player in the league or we have multiple 80+ player (kinda like Vegas).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not done. When it is close, you will see it reflected in the moves that hugo make.

I think next summer is their target date to be more aggressive on filling in the spots. Why? Suzuki will be 26. This will be prime time for a key peice in the rebuild group.

It will be a delicate balance to handle because you have alot of candidates in the pipeline that can develop into something and you don't want to get in their way either.

This is when Hugo's job gets hard.... next summer.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad