Do you think the building of the core is done?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do we have our core for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 61 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 107 63.7%

• Total voters

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I mean the core as in : top 2 lines, top 4 defenseman, #1 goaltender.

Obviously not saying there is no adjustements/trades/UFA signings in the next couple of years needed to build a contender: I'm strictly speaking about the core of the team for the next 10 years.

On offense we are pretty set with Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Demidov, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Hage, Beck and co. Our captain being the oldest of the bunch at 24 years old.

On defense with have a large group of young potential top 4 defenseman (IMO this is where we might still be missing a piece, such as a true #1 two-way beast). But most here seem comfortable with the Ghule, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson, Xhekaj/Harris/Barron.

I don't know much about our goaltender situation, but I have read here that we have a good prospect pool on that front.

We are obviously picking top 10 next season barring some major surprise, meaning we will still add by default a possibly important piece to the core, but IMO, we are getting closer to have fully build the foundation of the team.

Agree or disagree? And if so, what in your opinion are the missing pieces for the future?

Reactions: DAChampion

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
One more piece like a Lindstrom or Iginla and I think we have it. Ideally a power type C/W. Left shot.

Goaltending is anyone's guess, so maybe two pieces.

Reactions: Habs13

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Demidov will be part of top offensive line to go with Suzuki line. Summer of 2025 Habs in position to sign a top Free agents. Several will be available. Giving us two great offensive lines

Start us on way to sustainable winning culture next 15 years. Pinnacle will be multiple cups.

Young defense maturing and we have several top goalie prospects in the system. Thanks to previous draft. Beck and Roy are good foundation for two way third line. In next few years we have several bad contracts coming off the books. Things look good

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
No, we should as if lwe have to replace Dach. Our center line is really just ok. Our highest pick next year should be to take a center. Wondering if the stars will align for Ryabkin (the Ivan duo).

Reactions: Gravity

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There are always busts and injuries and trades.

And regardless, next year (2025), the Habs are probably getting a 10-15 pick from themselves and a 24-32 pick from Florida via Calgary. For all we know, those might be great players, who will add even more to the core.

There may also be another late 1st from trading Savard at the deadline.

Then Armia and Dvorak will be UFAs and off the books.

I think that's when the rebuild ends. One more year.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think next summer or even this we work to trade for an upgrade. Or sign one. I don't like newhook as the sixth guy, would feel more comfortable with him as depth.

But overall yeah, if everyone pans out it's a decent core.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We will likely draft around 10th-12th next year by missing the playoffs. The question is, will the player drafted then be elite enough and join the team early enough to really make an impact?

We're pretty full on D, and with Demidov added up front, we're starting to have quite a solid top-9 as well.

So yes, I would say the building of the core is pretty much done, as I think the next steps (starting in 2025) will be to add veteran players who can actually help us win the Cup... adding 18 years olds won't do much help.

Though, getting more solid prospects should also be a priority and I don't advocate trading our 1st until at least probably 2027 or 2028

Reactions: DAChampion

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The next core is there, half of them just need time to get to the NHL and mature. The biggest next step is to unload bad contracts like Dvorak, Armia, Anderson and Gally. Savard is gone next TDL, no argue about that. We have to cross our fingers Dach will stay healthy. ff he gets injured again, then we need do do something. Once Dvorak and Armia are gone, free agents could fill empty spots.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes because I believe in Dach.

We have our two top 6 centers (Suzuki & Dach), we have our 3C (Beck & Kapanen), we have our elite offensive talent up front (Demidov) and on the back end (Hutson), we have two defenseman in Guhle/Reinbacher who can match up against any type of forward in the league, we have our big power winger (Slafkovsky), we have our sniper (Caufield) and between Dobes/Fowler/Volokhin I believe we have our goalie.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Probably not. No clear 1D, uncertain 2C (Dach keep getting major injuries), and still need more offensive talent that can score goals.

Of course we could get help from free agency in the next two years.

I don't mind sucking for another year or two if it gets us some extra really good prospects.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Would we be better picking Michkov last year and pick a defenseman this year?
Like : Michkov+ Dickinson vs Demidov+Reinbacher ?
If like everybody says a D takes a little more time to adjust to NHL, is it better Reinbacher have one more year to adapt, so Demidov and Reinbacher are ready to make an impact in the game at the same time.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If like everybody says a D takes a little more time to adjust to NHL, is it better Reinbacher have one more year to adapt, so Demidov and Reinbacher are ready to make an impact in the game at the same time.

Reinbacher being a right shot and I like Demidov better.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Probably a wash but you avoid the question marks around Michkov (attitude and defensive commitment)

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Demidov will be part of top offensive line to go with Suzuki line. Summer of 2025 Habs in position to sign a top Free agents. Several will be available. Giving us two great offensive lines

Start us on way to sustainable winning culture next 15 years. Pinnacle will be multiple cups.

Young defense maturing and we have several top goalie prospects in the system. Thanks to previous draft. Beck and Roy are good foundation for two way third line. In next few years we have several bad contracts coming off the books. Things look good
Don't forget about Kapanen. He is as good as Beck/Roy.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nick Suzuki is a no.1C. Dach may be a no.2 C but he needs to play a full year. Guhle looks like a 2D, but we have no future 1D or 3D that has stepped up. And we have no lproven starting goalie. Also need top wingers.

So for me our Core is missing a 2C, a 1 and 3;D and a starting goalie. And waiting on 1st line winger

Even if Dach , Caulfield and Slaf fill Core spots, the D and goalie spots are lacking at this time.

Last edited:

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Reinbacher being a right shot and I like Demidov better.
Yea, if we didn't get Reinbacher last year then we'd need to target a RHD with this year's pick.

I'd definitely take Demidov/Reinbacher over Michkov/Parekh or Michkov/Yakemchuk.
With Mailloux already on the right side we sort of need more of a defensive RHD since Parekh/Mailloux on the top 2 pairings could have been a defensive nightmare.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I think we had the basis to build a future contender before the draft already.

Suzuki and Slafkovsky shown in the past they can bring it in big games.
Owen Beck is a surefire 3rd center. Sometimes, a third line player can be more useful than a 2nd line player. Carbonneau made it to the hall of fame.
Guhle is a warrior type of player that brings intensity. He will rub off on younger players when he becomes a veteran.

There's a lot of skills and potential in some other players on the team, but I think just having those 4 guys assure me that when the Habs start making the playoffs, they won't crumble in the first round year after year.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
In the question it said "with adjustments" so for that I voted yes. I think we have enough materials on hand to trade a few players to fill some needs that will arise. And that Florida pick next year can be used for that. As for goalies, I wholeheartly disagree with people saying we don't have a good one. I'm sorry but let's forget Carey Price. Teams win Cups without such a goalie. Monty is good enough and we have Fowler or Dobes coming in.

I love MSL, but he will be the biggest questionmark going forward I think.

Reactions: Rozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad