Player Discussion Thoughts on Bertuzzi?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What do we do about this dude?

• Sign him he's quirky (no butt end on his stick!!)

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Let him walk he's a useless plug and we can do better in UFA

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • I don't care, we're gonna suck anyway

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Domi's decision and Bertuzzi's speak for themselves.

Very happy to have a player who wants to win here.

Liked Bertuzzi and thought he'd be perfect under Berube.

But indifferent now that's he not a Maple Leaf.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If he was bad in the playoffs what does it say that he outscored $22M combined of Tavares/Marner?
That people who only look at raw points without any context have no clue what they're talking about.
That Bertuzzi picked up a few nothing secondary assists and had a puck double bounce off of his foot while playing on the top line, and abandoning defense and discipline.

Reactions: ITM

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I really liked Bertuzzi. He made some boneheaded moves that’s for sure but his compete level was always there and he wants afraid to stand up for his teammates. I love that in a player. He’ll be harder to replace than most think IMO.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
That people who only look at raw points without any context have no clue what they're talking about.
That Bertuzzi picked up a few nothing secondary assists and had a puck double bounce off of his foot while playing on the top line, and abandoning defense and discipline.
Cope harder, he outperformed your beloved golden boys pretty noticeably and wasn't avoiding contact like a wuss either.

Hey atleast we got Domi locked down who also noticeably outperformed the choking core too, gonna be interesting reading your cope about that one too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Top line LW Tyler Bertuzzi signed at $5.5 mil by our new GM Treliving was an attempt to replace Zach Hyman that our past GM foolish mistakenly let walk thinking $5 mil was too much.

Tyler Bertuzzi scored 43 regular season points playing Hyman's LW position on the top line while Hyman racked up 54 regular season goals alone this past season.

We shouldn't be in this position, and there shouldn't be a Leaf fan alive that wouldn't prefer Zach back and locked in at $5 mil.

However now in damage control BT has to find another LW for the top line, and likely forced to pay MORE $$ for less production, which in turm makes the Leafs less Cup competive in a Salary Cap World. We're going to feel the impact of past GM incompetence for a long time still and new GM can only do so much to minimize the damage left behing that he inherited.

Big, heavy North-South hockey, with player willing to finish their checks and win puck battles and crash the net perfectly descibes Zach Hyman who would have fit hand in glove to new Coach Berube preferred style of play. Finding a suitable replacement will not be eazy.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was unplayable for half the season, demoted and benched many times. He also was on his ass way too often.

I like that he's fearless and he's not terrible, but he just didn't do anything for me. Maybe he'll play much better on another team, who knows.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
That's called going to the front of the net. They actually allow that in the playoffs.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would have liked to keep him, but we have other priorities that will not allow us to afford him under the cap.

I hope we can land DeBrusk as a replacement as it was rumored that there was mutual interest last week.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Cope harder, he outperformed your beloved golden boys pretty noticeably and wasn't avoiding contact like a wuss either.

Hey atleast we got Domi locked down who also noticeably outperformed the choking core too, gonna be interesting reading your cope about that one too.
Players signed by Dubas are far greater than players signed by Treliving. You should know that by now ;)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That's called going to the front of the net. They actually allow that in the playoffs.
Yeah, I know it's allowed. We've done it a ton in the playoffs for years. When Bertuzzi wasn't busy chasing around Marchand and missing assignments, he went there sometimes, and then did a whole lot of nothing while there.
he outperformed your beloved golden boys
He didn't outperform anybody. He was trash in pretty much every possible way.

Reactions: diceman934

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, I know it's allowed. We've done it a ton in the playoffs for years. When Bertuzzi wasn't busy chasing around Marchand and missing assignments, he went there sometimes, and then did a whole lot of nothing while there.

He didn't outperform anybody. He was trash in pretty much every possible way.
Youre still coping. Marner was the one who was trash in every way.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Bertuzzi did nothing for me, and by signing with Chicago he has demonstrated that he cares more about money than winning so glad to see him go.

Domi on the other hand performed better last season even after taking a while to find his footing, and then took a bit less money to stay here. Very happy to have him signed for four more years.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Wish he'd stayed but not for the same price tag. Don't blame him for chasing the bag and having a chance to play with Bedard. Too bad, I really wanted to see a LW side of Bertuzzi, McMann, and Knies in the playoffs but of course McMann had to get hurt in like the third last game of the season.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Domi's decision and Bertuzzi's speak for themselves.

Very happy to have a player who wants to win here.

Liked Bertuzzi and thought he'd be perfect under Berube.

But indifferent now that's he not a Maple Leaf.
Leafs were probably far off on an AAV for Bert. This has been the repeated problem with a team handcuffed by the cap, sadly by some who can't win in the playoffs.

I would have paid him $5M AAV but Leafs couldn't afford it. They probably offered him $4.25 or $4.5 with less term, or, decided they could only have one of Bert or Domi and Domi came in far lower.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Chicago? This is where an agents advice is sometimes too narrow. Ya he got paid, but he's going to go through a lot of losing and angst there. For a competitive guy that's a tough long term reality. Hawks are miles away from being a real threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad