• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know about that, I see Zucker as a bit of a gamble with his recent injury history. He's only scored more than 10 goals once in the last 6 seasons. If he's healthy and fits in with Ruff's system hopefully he gets his 22-23 Pens form back

He had 14 last year and 27 the year before that.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
He had 14 last year and 27 the year before that.
edit- me failed to see he played for 2 different teams last season. My bad. I've been up too long.

Screenshot_20240801_081602_Dolphin Zero.jpg

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Blind hopium is really all I have left to go on with this team, so I’m going with YES, DUH.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
edit- me failed to see he played for 2 different teams last season. My bad. I've been up too long.

View attachment 898518
He played for 2 teams in 19-20 also, so he's scored 10 (14 actually) or more in 4 of the last 6 seasons, and 3 of those were 20+ with the 2 falling short being seasons he was injured. He also didn't get a ton of minutes in some of those seasons, like last year where he got 14 minutes a game. I think he's been a much more reliable player than it looks like on the surface. He's not in his prime anymore, but he's definitely the type of vet they could use in the line-up.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Not sure Zucker is enough.
I guess they are done adding to the top6, but I am not sure you can classify Zucker as a top6 addition.

Still think on paper we are on the outside looking in.
Top6 just isnt good enough, especially or 1/2 centers are missing elite IQ/faceoff/playmaking ability. None of them is a known commodity, they both had one season were their production was elite/good enough for 1/2.
I think it wasnt as much of a problem when they could also rely on Mitts but that option is now gone.

I just dont see it compared what other teams have down the middle.

Of course things could just go right and players overperform/play up to their pote tial and the squeak in but they certainly did not set them up favorably.

On paper they are 18th in the league , not too bad but also just not good enough

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Top6 just isnt good enough, especially or 1/2 centers are missing elite IQ/faceoff/playmaking ability. None of them is a known commodity, they both had one season were their production was elite/good enough for 1/2.
I think it wasnt as much of a problem when they could also rely on Mitts but that option is now gone.

I just dont see it compared what other teams have down the middle.
I don't think BOS, CAR, NSH, NYI, WPG, WSH centers are better than ours, and other playoff teams where we might not be far off.

I liked mitts and wish there could have still been space for him too, but I don't think this center group alone is going to prevent us from getting in

Reactions: Aladyyn

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I voted no. I really like the bottom 6 for the first time in many years, but I lack confidence in the top 6 and I absolutely hate the composition of the defense. I think they should be a much more enjoyable team to watch. The pieces are there to be a wild card team, but we are relying on a lot of inconsistent youth to unf*** themselves under Ruff.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
while I like that we are building a better TEAM, not sure it is enough to make the playoffs.

We are relying upon players to recreate their lightning in the bottle career years. The thing to do was to trade some of those players after career years to get players who have a more sustainable record.

Worked for nearly 20 years for the Pats

I did like the Savoie trade as it was the first time we actually decided to give something to get something we need (aside from the ROR and Eichel trades who were on their way out the door anyways)

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
while I like that we are building a better TEAM, not sure it is enough to make the playoffs.

We are relying upon players to recreate their lightning in the bottle career years. The thing to do was to trade some of those players after career years to get players who have a more sustainable record.

Worked for nearly 20 years for the Pats

I did like the Savoie trade as it was the first time we actually decided to give something to get something we need (aside from the ROR and Eichel trades who were on their way out the door anyways)
Which player or players are you trading after their career years? Tage who had 38 goals the year prior, and then while struggling with injury this past year still managed 29 goals? Dahlin? your number 1 dman. Cozens? Are we really going to believe he peaked at 21 years old? Tuch? A hometown kid who does everything you want from a top 6 winger and is a fan favorite. Skinner? With his full NMC and 9 million dollar cap hit.

Reactions: jc17

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
What's the mechanism in the NHL to tell and owner his team is being relocated?
Based on what I can tell, it happens in three steps.

The current owner would need to do something deemed detrimental to the league (Pete Rose esque).

It would then be brought to the board of governors for them to vote on a relocation (need a majority vote).

Relocation is approved.

Looks like it only happened once in 1925.

What's the mechanism in the NHL to tell and owner his team is being relocated?

The current owner would need to do something deemed detrimental to the league (Pete Rose esque).

It would then be brought to the board of governors for them to vote on a relocation (need a majority vote).

Relocation is approved.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Relocation is approved.

Relocation is approved.

There is only one scenario in which the Sabres move or their owner is replaced. They are never removing Terry.

But Buffalo/Erie County would have to refuse to put one cent into the arena and convince the league it will never happen in the next decade. Who knows? Even then, Bettman will work with New York State and the city to get a deal. He hates teams moving because of the loss of control. Bettman knows how to work things.

The only scenario where Pegula might be out is if the rink became suddenly unusable for hockey and another city was ready and waiting for a team. This is the way Atlanta and Arizona moved, both just last minute where Gary had zero choice.

That said, when the Key Bank lease runs out, Hamilton will have a refurbished arena of 18,000+ with luxury boxes ready and waiting for tenants. They are 100% focused on AHL, but as an emergency measure, it is something that could happen in a very far-fetched scenario.

I think Terry gets his refurbished rink, and he stays on until he gets too ill. The kids inherit stuff but the stake in the Bills being sold will cover his tax liabilities.

The Pegulas are not going anywhere. Learn to live with them or get a new team. It's reality.

For starters, a retired Bettman probably makes any moves easier.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Sabres are never moving unless the arena collapsed and the city refused to build a new one. Doesn’t matter who the owner is.

I’m not trying to be mean but if you actually think there’s a remote possibility the Sabres would ever be moved - you are an idiot.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
There is only one scenario in which the Sabres move or their owner is replaced. They are never removing Terry.

But Buffalo/Erie County would have to refuse to put one cent into the arena and convince the league it will never happen in the next decade. Who knows? Even then, Bettman will work with New York State and the city to get a deal. He hates teams moving because of the loss of control. Bettman knows how to work things.

The only scenario where Pegula might be out is if the rink became suddenly unusable for hockey and another city was ready and waiting for a team. This is the way Atlanta and Arizona moved, both just last minute where Gary had zero choice.

That said, when the Key Bank lease runs out, Hamilton will have a refurbished arena of 18,000+ with luxury boxes ready and waiting for tenants. They are 100% focused on AHL, but as an emergency measure, it is something that could happen in a very far-fetched scenario.

I think Terry gets his refurbished rink, and he stays on until he gets too ill. The kids inherit stuff but the stake in the Bills being sold will cover his tax liabilities.

The Pegulas are not going anywhere. Learn to live with them or get a new team. It's reality.

For starters, a retired Bettman probably makes any moves easier.
That was in reply to someone who was asking if the NHL can force a team to sell. I have zero issues with the Pegula's or how they run their franchises.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Which player or players are you trading after their career years? Tage who had 38 goals the year prior, and then while struggling with injury this past year still managed 29 goals? Dahlin? your number 1 dman. Cozens? Are we really going to believe he peaked at 21 years old? Tuch? A hometown kid who does everything you want from a top 6 winger and is a fan favorite. Skinner? With his full NMC and 9 million dollar cap hit.

Tage. Should have been clear to all that he isn't a perennial 100 point per year player, and his lack of defensive ability often outweighed his offense.

We could have got 3 or 4 quality NHL pieces for him then, which is what we needed more than a flashy scorer

Which is why I like the Savoie trade. We need grit, not more bling bling

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tage. Should have been clear to all that he isn't a perennial 100 point per year player, and his lack of defensive ability often outweighed his offense.

We could have got 3 or 4 quality NHL pieces for him then, which is what we needed more than a flashy scorer

He nearly scored 30 goals in a season where literally every single thing for him and the team in general went wrong.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

Maybe you do get 4 quality pieces, but then you're leaving a hole at 1C and most of those pieces are probably futures or lesser players. Maybe you're able to get a player in return that has the potential to be your 1C eventually, but that player wouldn't be ready for that role immediately, if they were the team trading them wouldn't trade them. Buffalo doesn't need 4 futures; they need to be the team trading 4 pieces for an elite player.

There's also the fact that they had signed Tage to a 7-year extension. How does that look to other players around the league when you extend a guy for 7 years who then outperformed his extension by a huge margin before it even kicked in and stated how committed he is to being a Sabre and then trade him.

Minny didn't really get better by trading Fiala, they went from 2nd in the central Fiala's last year with them to 3rd, then to 6th and out of the playoffs. Maybe it works out for them longer term with Faber and Ohgren which are 2 quality pieces, but in the near term they are worse without him. Calgary is also worse without Tkachuk, and at the time it seemed like they got an absolute haul for him. It didn't really affect the Jets trading PLD, but they had players that could fill his role already on their roster.

Edit: Also want to add that using the Patriots as an example is a poor comparison. not even counting that they are completely different sports, you're talking about a team that had probably the best QB to ever play the game. Brady alone kept them relevant and dangerous, just look at what happened when he left.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Thoughts:

1. I'm shocked some of you want the team to move under basically any scenario. What will you do with yourselves if the team is gone? If you have > 1000 posts per year I assume this is your primary hobby.

2. They're not making the playoffs unless a lot goes right, this is an 89 point team

3. It's a shame they don't play out west, I'd like their chances to make it in the campbell conference

Reactions: BFLO

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres are never moving unless the arena collapsed and the city refused to build a new one. Doesn’t matter who the owner is.

I’m not trying to be mean but if you actually think there’s a remote possibility the Sabres would ever be moved - you are an idiot.
They are not going to be moved because the city/state will buckle and do what they have to with the arena. That is inevitable. One tailwind for the team is rapidly increasing population in the Niagara Region on the Ontario. The Sabres catchment area is growing rapidly with Canada's population but the issue is making those people Buffalo fans. I'm shocked at how little marketing is done in Canada just 30 minutes from the rink. The border is a pain in the a** and adds $10 to any game in tolls but major league hockey that close should be a real treat. (Spare me the Sabres are not major league. I know.) The Leafs are double the price and maybe 2.5 hours in traffic to downtown Toronto. Three some days.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They are not going to be moved because the city/state will buckle and do what they have to with the arena. That is inevitable. One tailwind for the team is rapidly increasing population in the Niagara Region on the Ontario. The Sabres catchment area is growing rapidly with Canada's population but the issue is making those people Buffalo fans. I'm shocked at how little marketing is done in Canada just 30 minutes from the rink. The border is a pain in the a** and adds $10 to any game in tolls but major league hockey that close should be a real treat. (Spare me the Sabres are not major league. I know.) The Leafs are double the price and maybe 2.5 hours in traffic to downtown Toronto. Three some days.

So many years of not being available on over-the-air broadcasts has made sure that the primary team to watch in all of Southern Ontario is the Leafs. The shift from splitting the broadcasts to not having them available in any way other than cable, then the CRTC rules make it really hard for them to get onto cable carriers... especially when Rogers and Bell own the Leafs and don't want that market share impinged upon. I have friends in St. Catherines who grew up on the Sabres away games on Ch. 49 who have kids who are Leaf fans because that was what they could watch.

Reactions: oldgoalie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium