Do the Panthers actually get away with everything?

Takeahnase

Jun 29, 2024
NLV
I just don’t get why teams let some of that shit go. Even in the playoffs I remember Hextall chopping Ranger player calves for having the temerity to back into his crease / make contact with him like he was chopping down a tree.

Like it was funny when Kreider threw that idiot’s mouthpiece into the stands, but he really should have stuck it up his nose and left him crumpled.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
They get away with much more than they should, that is for sure.

Playing the odds that the league doesn’t have the stones to call 20 penalties on them a game, and so far they are winning.

Reactions: BB79

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Islanders went from being a pain in the ass to play against to becoming soft and complacent. They've become a team that has refused to create an identity that can keep up with the NHL, and they're getting punished by the NHL's best teams as a result. They keep blowing 3-0 leads, they have forwards who are ineffective at pressure, and their defense is slow. If it wasn't for Varlamov and Sorokin, this team would've been picking top 10 the past few years.

I think the bigger irony is Lamoriello signing back Matt Martin, only for this to happen. Florida looked hungrier, angrier and more complacent WITHOUT Barkov than the islanders without Duclair.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
They get away with much more than they should, that is for sure.

Playing the odds that the league doesn’t have the stones to call 20 penalties on them a game, and so far they are winning.
because they play AGGRESSIVE and constantly pressure. I hate them but the NHL is so soft that they can just play like that all they want. i'm not mad, i'm glad these guys are tough. make the NHL show some brass balls again.

paragon

May 5, 2010
A big thing I read is how Florida gets away with everything, there's a reddit thread here:

and it's just complaining. I don't really understand? Florida took the 2nd most penalties in the league last year and will end up top 5 this year, is the assumption the Panthers should be shorthanded the whole game?

Varlamov should have just swung hard at his ankles. Only way Tkachuk would learn not to play stupid games. Billy Smith or Hextall would have never let that go unpunished.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
because they play AGGRESSIVE and constantly pressure. I hate them but the NHL is so soft that they can just play like that all they want. i'm not mad, i'm glad these guys are tough. make the NHL show some brass balls again.
Aggressive? totally. Constant pressure is best in the league. Tough? Nah. No team in the league is afraid of their toughness.

Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Aggressive? totally. Constant pressure is best in the league. Tough? Nah. No team in the league is afraid of their toughness.
Some teams seem to lose their minds a bit vs the Panthers as they’re trying to prove they ain’t skeer’d. Losing focus on winning the game in the meantime.
Well, one team does, at least.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
They're a big subscriber to the "they can't call everything" philosophy. Which means they have a good read on NHL officiating because those dickheads don't even call half of it.
And taking more penalties also means refs will "even it up" and let their 24% PP go to work more.

24% PP
83% PK

It's in florida's interest to ensure as many Power play opps exist as possible

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They get away with everything in the sense that they can't call three/four infractions on the same play. You're not going to get 8 minutes worth of goalie interference or roughing calls on him, so you benefit. I love it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Over the volcano

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Goalies should play like Mike Ribiero.

Hack n slash and be a general asshole. Then when slightly grazed, go down like an Italian soccer player.

I dunno why goalies play tough. What benefit do you get out of it? Goalies should be flop around like fish.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Sorry if it touched a nerve
;) Perhaps you should read that again. I think you may have missed it.

And taking more penalties also means refs will "even it up" and let their 24% PP go to work more.

24% PP
83% PK

It's in florida's interest to ensure as many Power play opps exist as possible
Well, they are prone to giving up shorties ;)

This thread is funny.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I just don’t get why teams let some of that shit go. Even in the playoffs I remember Hextall chopping Ranger player calves for having the temerity to back into his crease / make contact with him like he was chopping down a tree.

Like it was funny when Kreider threw that idiot’s mouthpiece into the stands, but he really should have stuck it up his nose and left him crumpled.
Because Tkachuk won’t do anything and the other team will be short handed.

But yes, Florida gets away with a lot of scummy stuff.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
They watched the Bruins do it for years. Then when the Bruins aged out of contention and they were the big dogs they copied it and it worked.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Sometimes they let the boys play.

Varlamov lost his stick because he stuck it in Tkachuk’s gut

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
As an isles fan I didn’t see anything wrong. Thats his game.
Varly could have gotten called for a hook/slash. He gave Varly a little cross check and that was it. He was in the crease but the puck was loose.

I wasn’t up in arms thinking there should have been a penalty there or thinking Tkachuk got away with something.
Thread closed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad