Do the Oilers miss the playoffs again...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I don't like their winger depth, their blue line doesn't look great. They bought in a terrible coach in GG. They need to many things to go right.

They'll probably finish ahead of Vancouver.

That is all

Reactions: bigtim1988

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
If they do they have to be in the top 3 of the Pacific because the wildcard race is crowded with Central teams.

For that reason I say no.

Reactions: Cellee

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
2 years ago they overachieved and last year everything that could go wrong pretty much did go wrong. If everyone can bounce back and be even average (from the players to the pp, pk etc) , they are a bubble team.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Don't see them making the playoffs. Depends on other bubble teams. But probably not.

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
It shall be interesting to see. With 1 more year under his belt, how far can McDavid carry the team? No big changes in the lineup, same coach. With good special teams I think they will make it.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They ARE making the playoffs this year. That team in 2017 was just way too good to be way too bad, to not be good enough.

You know what I mean.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
San Jose
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

These 4 teams are a lock for the playoffs then you have Vegas , Calgary , LA , Anaheim, Dallas , Oilers , Arizona , Colorado who will be fighting for the last 4 spots .

I think Calgary made enough improvements to at least make it as a wild card team. They got much better . Kings should be in as well with Carter being back healthy and the addition of Kovy and Kempe and Iaffalo with a year under their belt I don’t see how they can miss the playoffs . So that leaves 2 spots . It’s going to be a battle in the West. I never count Anaheim out they are remarkable in that aspect . Dallas should be gunning for it this year , Colorado , Oilers Vegas I feel like should make it too but also can fall flat on their face . Should be interesting .

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
None of us know.

I think they will make it. They had a lot going wrong for them last season that I think will be corrected this season and I think that will place then into a playoff spot.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I say no, I think they overachieved when they Made the playoffs. I think overall they’re a slow team besides a few players and that defence has big holes in it. I also don’t believe in cam talbot, I just feel too many things need to go right in order for the oilers to succeed.

Oh and the coach and GM are trash.... it could be a long painful season for Mcdavid and the oilers.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
all they really need is Talbot not to suck, but that's iffy.

But I still look at all the slots on the roster and, aside from #1C McDavid and #1W/#2C Draisaitl, see them below average at every single other slot.

with a decent goalie those 2 should take them into the playoffs, but if Talbot is bad again they're probably toast.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we had lots of injuries and other odd issues last season. This year, it looks like it's just Sekera is the problem.

I still feel the team didn't improve itself though, so we can't really know. We are seriously contemplating keeping Bouchard up to play defense, the kid we just drafted

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A better question is who is without a doubt better? San Jose. Maybe Vegas but I see huge regression there.
In for Vegas are Patches and statsny. Out are Neal and Perron. So, pretty much a push at worse.

Not having Schmidt for 20 games will hurt.

Main thing for them is whether karlsson is a one year wonder or if he can at least produce 85% of what he did last year. Can he get around 35 goals?

If karlsson is good for close to what he did last year they make the playoffs.

Any of cal, Edm, LA, And Ana could take the last top 3 spot.

Oilers are a bubble team. Can go either way. But I would bet that if they miss both GM and Coach are fired.

Reactions: DaveG

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
If the oilers have their power play fixed this year I think a lot of people will be surprised. Coaching changes should make a massive difference.

NathanCouture

Angry Joe
Sponsor
Nov 1, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Main thing for them is whether karlsson is a one year wonder or if he can at least produce 85% of what he did last year. Can he get around 35 goals?
Say what?

Karlsson has been in the NHL for 9 years, played 627 games and has 126 goals, 392 assists for a total of 518 points. In no way is he, or can he be a one year wonder. Having pointed that out, he has never scored 35 (or more since you’re saying that 35 is 85% of some mythical number) goals in a year in his NHL career. Not sure where you’re getting your info.

Reactions: jasonleaffan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad