Do obviously overpaid players cause locker room rifts?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I keep wondering this. Do players who genuinely want to win look down on players with terrible contracts, to the point where it can affect the locker room and team morale?

I would think that hungry Oilers players would be pissed looking at Nurse's contract, and the fact he's not living up to it, and seeing that wasted cap space.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
It depends who's on your team. If it's Ollie Jokinin or Ryan Suter then yes. They are known to talk sh** about players contracts.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Us fans think like this. Players don’t.

It depends who's on your team. If it's Ollie Jokinin or Ryan Suter then yes. They are known to talk sh** about players contracts.
They were? Hearsay or actual evidence supporting this?

Reactions: zeeto

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If they already don’t like the guy it is ammo. What they mostly don’t care for is unprofessional behavior and lack of compete. Usually not the hallmark of big money and for instance why Nurse is well liked in the room. We have instances of guys where they certainly are disliked and their contract is the topper to drive the whole rooms point home.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
If you are playing on a team that signs flawed players to fat contracts...did you really sign there expecting to win? Seems to me that it's money that motivates such teams/players and not on-ice success.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It's part of the reason why he was bought out. It came out in interviews of other players. I'll try and find it
Was this supposedly in Minnesota or Dallas?

I’ve heard people mention this before but never saw any concrete reporting of it. Not saying it’s untrue, but would be interested to read the reporting if you can find!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I keep wondering this. Do players who genuinely want to win look down on players with terrible contracts, to the point where it can affect the locker room and team morale?

I would think that hungry Oilers players would be pissed looking at Nurse's contract, and the fact he's not living up to it, and seeing that wasted cap space.

It's been reported they hate the notion of him being overpaid.

Fun fact in game 2 this season he was one or the best Oilers on the Ice.

People won't like hearing that but it was true.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
People in general should worry about themselves instead of others

WRONG. Not when those 'others' behavior affects your life, or in this case, chances to win a championship.

When people say the Oilers are 'one player away' and look at Nurse's contract as a big reason why they can't afford said player.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I think a lot of the overpaid players are veterans near the tail end of their career. Other players respect those guys, and ideally they want to carve out a long career like theirs. The overpaid youngsters maybe draw some ire, especially if they aren't doing their job / what's expected of them, but the ELC/RFA system mostly makes sure those guys aren't overpaid.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I really doubt that players are upset that another player took advantage of their GM being a moron. If anything they're probably upset at their own agent for not seeing that and getting 'them' a stupid contract.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I have a feeling there are more players who would rather be overpaid than win.

When other players get paid their teammates are happy for them as it helps raise contract prices for everyone in the long run.

The idea that all pro athletes eat sleep and breathe only to win is nothing more than a romantic fantasy. For a number of players it’s just a job.

Reactions: zeeto and Mrfenn92

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Teammates are happy for Huberdeau when he gets the monkey off his back and putting up points. It seems like he's well liked in the room. I don't think players worry about salary cap.

I think I read an article the other day about Scott Hartnell's response after being chirped about his contract. Even his opponent was speechless. "Better to be overpaid than underpaid."

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Lolol Ryan Sutter? The same Ryan Sutter who had been bought out twice in recent years lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad