Player Discussion: Dmitri Voronkov

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That’s a signing we really needed. We’re getting a lot of skill influx, but rather lacking guys with skill and size/grit.

Voronkov can score, but he can also be a pest, a fighter, a physical presence.

He reminds me a bit of Mathieu Olivier, also whenever he can play extremely hard. Of course his skill is much better.
So my favorite KHL player will play in the NHL. :thumbu: I'll try to get his jersey.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Blue Jackets right winger Kirill Marchenko was trying to describe the playing style of fellow Russian Dmitri Voronkov, and he was struggling to find the right words. It wasn’t just because of Marchenko’s grasp on a second language, either.

“How can I say this?” Marchenko said. “I am a happy Russian boy. (Yegor) Chinakhov is a cute Russian boy. But (Voronkov) … he is like tough Russian boy.”

Absolutely love that quote

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I think everyone has been drastically underestimating the kind of impact he’ll have. In recent cbj history terms it will be like getting a developed, 23 year old center version of Josh Anderson. We have been missing a physical presence at the top of our forward lineup since Dubois and Anderson left.

Plus, this is a mean player in a way that we haven’t really seen around here. Instant fan favorite in Columbus and hated around the league.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Absolutely love that quote

Regarding the escape clause:

The contract includes an “escape clause,” which is not unusual for players making the leap to the NHL from another professional league. Per Voronkov’s agent, J.P. Barry, if Voronkov isn’t on the roster through the end of December, he has the right to return to Russia beginning Jan. 1.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think everyone has been drastically underestimating the kind of impact he’ll have. In recent cbj history terms it will be like getting a developed, 23 year old center version of Josh Anderson. We have been missing a physical presence at the top of our forward lineup since Dubois and Anderson left.

Plus, this is a mean player in a way that we haven’t really seen around here. Instant fan favorite in Columbus and hated around the league.
I guess if he greatly increases his speed and adds 30lbs he could be the center Josh Anderson. We all want him to succeed but keeping expectations realistic early is important when new guys are coming to the league. Mostly just want to see him be physical and play his game whether its the the AHL or NHL to start

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I guess if he greatly increases his speed and adds 30lbs he could be the center Josh Anderson. We all want him to succeed but keeping expectations realistic early is important when new guys are coming to the league. Mostly just want to see him be physical and play his game whether its the the AHL or NHL to start
Ak Bars fans say he is heavier than 192 lbs, probably about 205 lbs. So we will see.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'm not sure he's played much at centre the past few years. He's primarily been LW in Kazan. He could pick it up again I'm sure. Will be interesting to see where he fits

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know, what kind of center Patrik will be and if he will be at all (it all depends on a new coach). But if he could be a 1C, it would solve our problems. With all due respect to Boone, but his skill set doesn't allow him to be a top 6 center on a team that wants to be successful in the PO. We also don't know if Kent will get strong enough to be a center, as every body is different.

I personally would really like the line:

Jenner -- Voronkov/Sillinger -- Texier.

That's not disrespectful to Boone, quite the opposite. He would lead an aggressive 3rd line , while being very high quality. Effectively, we'd have 2a and 2b lines, while even the 1st line could play less. This would allow the team to play at a high tempo.
Laine is 1C now, we’re good

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well, a good piece of news. Actually two nice pieces of news, Texier returns and Voronkov signs. Now for the trifecta on May 8.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Happy to see Voronkov coming over, fun to see what kind of grit and power he can bring to the roster. Also great to have Marchenko and Chinakhov here to guide him (and Tyutin of course). Marchenko acclimated very fast, I doubt Voronkov does the same and the language might be a bit of a hindrance, but certainly another exciting preseason ahead of us.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego

I was curious about the 30 lbs comment here so I did a little digging. I actually don’t think we need to force this comparison or anything, but here are central scoutings final listings in their respective draft years, which made me laugh:

2019: Voronkov 6’4”, 190
2012: Anderson 6’1”, 183!

I know Josh was a late bloomer but this height and weight had to be from when he was 16. I do kind assume the 192 that EP lists for Dima is 4 year old data, and I would think he’s closer to 210 now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
He's tailormade for the small ice, NA game. Can't wait to see him work down low
I admit I’ve only seen him in highlights, but everything I read about Voronkov would seem to indicate the smaller rink plays to his strengths whereas some overseas players need some adjustment to the lesser space the smaller rink offers.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I really hope he has some Svitov in his game. I loved that guy and he was just coming into his own when he suddenly left.

Really like this kids prospects in the NHL. Hoping his skating is good enough to keep him playing in the NHL
Svitov was a scary SOB up close.
Saw him one day long ago at a Saturday morning practice at the Ice Haus.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad