Disney Star Wars General Discussion

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Disney has revealed that its controversial Star Wars streaming show The Acolyte came in "over the production budget" with its costs hitting $230.1 million (£172.7 million) when it was only part of the way through post production.

So it was even more than 230M?

I skimmed the article but didn't see any explanation for the excessive costs.

The show felt like it had been through re-writes and re-shoots. I'm guessing that's the reason.

Reactions: Osprey and Rob

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If you tell a good story, nothing else matters. If you tell a bad story, people can't help but notice and exaggerate the negative qualities.

There's plenty of terrible dialogue, dumb moments, bad character development, etc...in the original trilogy. None of it matters because the movies were fun and the story was cool.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I skimmed the article but didn't see any explanation for the excessive costs.

The show felt like it had been through re-writes and re-shoots. I'm guessing that's the reason.
I read the whole article and got the impression that the author was more interested in defending the show and its cost than in critically examining why it was so expensive.

Reportedly, re-shoots occurred as recently as last November and December. That's after the UK filings in September (according to the article), so the cost of those re-shoots and the post-production work on them should be on top of the $230M.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The only difference between Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy and a steaming pile of horse shit is that the latter doesn't require throwing billions of dollars away.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The only difference between Lucasfilm under Kathleen Kennedy and a steaming pile of horse shit is that the latter doesn't require throwing billions of dollars away.
It's like a GM being with a team for a decade, going through multiple head coaches, and making the playoffs like twice. At some point the GM needs to go and you need to bring in somebody else.

What I worry about is them replacing the GM with the assistant GM, who then makes the same mistakes the GM made.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It's crazy how the Star Wars brand has been devalued. It went from theatrical blockbuster to small screen direct-to-video.

Most people would get lambasted and fired over it but it seems like Kennedy is coated with some chemical compound as nothing ever sticks. She can just do whatever she wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad