Disney pulls all channels from Spectrum/Charter cable

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1693535793438.png

In a significant carriage dispute, Disney’s TV channels, including ABC, ESPN, FX and Freeform, have gone dark on Charter Spectrum, the country’s second-largest cable TV provider, with 14.7 million subscribers.

The blackout happened at a critical time, with ESPN’s networks broadcasting both the U.S. Open tennis tournament (in the middle of Spanish star Carlos Alcaraz’s match), as well as a college football game between Utah and the University of Florida. Spectrum customers in the country’s top two media markets of New York and Los Angeles are impacted by the blackouts.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Walt Disney Company has removed their programming from Spectrum which creates hardship for our customers.
We offered Disney a fair deal, yet they are demanding an excessive increase.

They also want to limit our ability to provide greater customer choice in programming packages forcing you to take and pay for channels you may not want.

Spectrum is on your side and fighting to keep costs down while protecting and maximizing customer choice.

The rising cost of programming is the single greatest factor in higher cable TV prices, and we are fighting hard to hold the line on programming rates imposed on us by companies like Disney.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We understand how important it is to be able to access your programming content and have solutions for you.

We ask for your patience as we continue to work out a deal that is fair for everyone.

Disney-owned channels and stations impacted:
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, FX, FX Movie Channel, FXX, Freeform, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, BabyTV
ABC On Demand programming and the following local ABC stations: ABC7 Chicago, ABC7 Los Angeles, ABC7 New York, ABC7 San Francisco, ABC11 Raleigh-Durham, ABC13 Houston, ABC30 Fresno.

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The way in which the vast majority of mainstream audio-visual art and content have been brought under the ownership and control of just a handful of massive companies is awful. It stifles and limits creativity and individuality, leads to so many productions ending up looking and feeling very same-same, promotes conservatism, and allows company bosses to dictate terms to other providers and businesses often in a grossly unfair manner.

I don't know the rights and wrongs and who has the better arguments in this particular case, but the damage in general to our visual arts, and the near-dictatorial control these companies have over content distribution and the profits resulting therefrom, are a real shame. We see the current writers' strike as a symptom and an attempt to correct some of the issues, but I don't know if there's really much that can be done to fix the problems in the larger scheme of things. The creators, the middlemen and the consumers all suffer. There's my rant for the day.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The way in which the vast majority of mainstream audio-visual art and content have been brought under the ownership and control of just a handful of massive companies is awful. It stifles and limits creativity and individuality, leads to so many productions ending up looking and feeling very same-same, promotes conservatism, and allows company bosses to dictate terms to other providers and businesses often in a grossly unfair manner.

I don't know the rights and wrongs and who has the better arguments in this particular case, but the damage in general to our visual arts, and the near-dictatorial control these companies have over content distribution and the profits resulting therefrom, are a real shame. We see the current writers' strike as a symptom and an attempt to correct some of the issues, but I don't know if there's really much that can be done to fix the problems in the larger scheme of things. The creators, the middlemen and the consumers all suffer. There's my rant for the day.

@Aussie Bruin - I trace much of the problems today to Rupert Murdoch coming out of nowhere and launching the FOX Network in the US.

FOX Television Stations owns and operates 29 full power broadcast television stations in the U.S. These include stations located in nine of the top ten largest designated market areas, or DMAs.

The Fox Broadcasting Company's foundations were laid in March 1985 through News Corporation's $255 million purchase of a 50% interest in TCF Holdings, the parent company of the 20th Century Fox film studio.

In May 1985, News Corporation, a media company owned by Australian publishing magnate Rupert Murdoch that had mainly served as a newspaper publisher at the time of the TCF Holdings deal, agreed to pay $2.55 billion to acquire independent television stations in six major U.S. cities from the John Kluge-run broadcasting company Metromedia: WNEW-TV (now WNYW) in New York City, WTTG in Washington, D.C., KTTV in Los Angeles, KRIV in Houston, WFLD in Chicago, and KRLD-TV (now KDAF) in Dallas. A seventh station, ABC affiliate WCVB-TV in Boston, was part of the original transaction but was spun off to the Hearst Broadcasting subsidiary of the Hearst Corporation in a separate, concurrent deal as part of a right of first refusal related to that station's 1982 sale to Metromedia.

Boston is the largest market Murdoch does not own a station in but he did own Channel 25 TWICE.

He 'traded' Channel 25 in Boston for Channel 2 in Oakland primarily because the 49ers were in the NFC and the Patriots were in the AFC and CBS had those rights. The Oakland station was owned by COX and 10 years ago they made a blunder on the local news that destroyed them in the San Francisco market with a large Asian population.

This is not a SNL skit - this actually aired

A footnote - KTVU's news executives moved to Boston and their first move was firing their top anchor because she made too much money. A news anchor in CHICAGO reacted by doing this.....

and don't get me started about Disney

scrooge-mcduck-money.gif

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin - I trace much of the problems today to Rupert Murdoch coming out of nowhere and launching the FOX Network in the US.

FOX Television Stations owns and operates 29 full power broadcast television stations in the U.S. These include stations located in nine of the top ten largest designated market areas, or DMAs.

The Fox Broadcasting Company's foundations were laid in March 1985 through News Corporation's $255 million purchase of a 50% interest in TCF Holdings, the parent company of the 20th Century Fox film studio.

In May 1985, News Corporation, a media company owned by Australian publishing magnate Rupert Murdoch that had mainly served as a newspaper publisher at the time of the TCF Holdings deal, agreed to pay $2.55 billion to acquire independent television stations in six major U.S. cities from the John Kluge-run broadcasting company Metromedia: WNEW-TV (now WNYW) in New York City, WTTG in Washington, D.C., KTTV in Los Angeles, KRIV in Houston, WFLD in Chicago, and KRLD-TV (now KDAF) in Dallas. A seventh station, ABC affiliate WCVB-TV in Boston, was part of the original transaction but was spun off to the Hearst Broadcasting subsidiary of the Hearst Corporation in a separate, concurrent deal as part of a right of first refusal related to that station's 1982 sale to Metromedia.

Boston is the largest market Murdoch does not own a station in but he did own Channel 25 TWICE.

He 'traded' Channel 25 in Boston for Channel 2 in Oakland primarily because the 49ers were in the NFC and the Patriots were in the AFC and CBS had those rights. The Oakland station was owned by COX and 10 years ago they made a blunder on the local news that destroyed them in the San Francisco market with a large Asian population.

This is not a SNL skit - this actually aired

A footnote - KTVU's news executives moved to Boston and their first move was firing their top anchor because she made too much money. A news anchor in CHICAGO reacted by doing this.....

and don't get me started about Disney

scrooge-mcduck-money.gif

Sure, blame the Aussie ;) There's no denying it though, is there? Murdoch came from moderate wealth (he actually was educated at the top school where I live) and had a leg up in the newspaper business through his father, but what he's built in the decades since is obviously vastly beyond what he started with. Very intelligent, but ruthless and of course pretty loose in his ethics. Unfortunately too many others have followed his example.

However in regards to Disney I actually don't think Walt would like what has become of his company. I'm sure he'd be pleased with its success, but the way it has swallowed up a lot of other creative endeavors and imposed upon them its own narrow image I think would be offensive to a man who was an artist and innovator at heart.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sure, blame the Aussie ;) There's no denying it though, is there? Murdoch came from moderate wealth (he actually was educated at the top school where I live) and had a leg up in the newspaper business through his father, but what he's built in the decades since is obviously vastly beyond what he started with. Very intelligent, but ruthless and of course pretty loose in his ethics. Unfortunately too many others have followed his example.

However in regards to Disney I actually don't think Walt would like what has become of his company. I'm sure he'd be pleased with its success, but the way it has swallowed up a lot of other creative endeavors and imposed upon them its own narrow image I think would be offensive to a man who was an artist and innovator at heart.
@Aussie Bruin

Ruppert blindsided CBS in 1994 when he 'overpaid' for the NFL/NFC rights but the truth is he knew getting the NFL would triple the value of his fledging FOX network. The one thing he was certain of was NFL owners would happily cash the check he wrote.

When he got the NHL rights in 1995 he wanted Dennis Cometti to call games but 7 Network would not allow it - but my goodness the production values FOX had for the NHL in 1995 were stunning.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Disney is hurting and is looking for ways to make up for their bad decisions and loses.

Disney's stock is at a nine year low.

The company's market cap has fallen from $350.09 billion on March 22, 2022, to $154.04 billion. That's a decline of $196.05 billion — or a 56% drop in market cap.

Disney has been facing the same type of backlash boycott as other companies such as Anheuser-Busch and Target.

Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier last month announced dramatic increases for its online streaming subscription services Disney+ and Hulu.

Disney's cinema results have seen similar declines.

In June, a box office analyst reported that Disney had lost nearly $900 million on its past eight studio releases, including "The Little Mermaid" and "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Disney's new live-action "Snow White," expected to be released next year, could ruin the company, a branding expert warned after videos of the film's lead actress surfaced of her depicting the role in the remake as a symbol of feminist iconography.

Even the son of the original "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs" director chided Disney for pursuing an "insulting" remake of the movie.

In March, Disney began 7,000 layoffs from its workforce of 220,000 to cut $5.5 billion in annual costs as it sought to control costs and create a more "streamlined" business.

I feel bad for the people who enjoy Disney's content ... but Disney doesn't seem to care.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Disney is hurting and is looking for ways to make up for their bad decisions and loses.

The company's market cap has fallen from $350.09 billion on March 22, 2022, to $154.04 billion. That's a decline of $196.05 billion — or a 56% drop in market cap.

Disney has been facing the same type of backlash boycott as other companies such as Anheuser-Busch and Target.

Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier last month announced dramatic increases for its online streaming subscription services Disney+ and Hulu.

In June, a box office analyst reported that Disney had lost nearly $900 million on its past eight studio releases, including "The Little Mermaid" and "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Disney's new live-action "Snow White," expected to be released next year, could ruin the company, a branding expert warned after videos of the film's lead actress surfaced of her depicting the role in the remake as a symbol of feminist iconography.

Even the son of the original "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs" director chided Disney for pursuing an "insulting" remake of the movie.

In March, Disney began 7,000 layoffs from its workforce of 220,000 to cut $5.5 billion in annual costs as it sought to control costs and create a more "streamlined" business.

I feel bad for the people who enjoy Disney's content ... but Disney doesn't seem to care.

Ya I imagine Disney gave charter some outrageous price to continue to carry their content and charter just said no.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
  • Disney's stock is at a nine year low.
  • The company's market cap has fallen from $350.09 billion on March 22, 2022, to $154.04 billion. That's a decline of $196.05 billion — or a 56% drop in market cap.
  • Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier last month announced dramatic increases for its online streaming subscription services Disney+ and Hulu.

Just quoted and formatted your content for emphasis. Because its truth.

Also want to add, if you watch any travel videos about Disney World attendance, it has been historically low. Its sad

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I have DirecTV. Recently I lost the local ABC affiliate but I can still watch ESPN channels no problem. I don't subscribe to Disney so this doesn't affect me at all. Frankly Disney has strayed so far from Walt Disney's vision I'm surprised the family hasn't raised hell about it, unless they sold out (I have no idea)

I don't know what I will do when my AAA discount expires. I've looked at Hulu, etc but it is just too confusing for me, I'm not a tech person & I'd surely f*** up something while trying to install it.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know what I will do when my AAA discount expires. I've looked at Hulu, etc but it is just too confusing for me, I'm not a tech person & I'd surely f*** up something while trying to install it.
Not at all. I use an Amazon Firestick and it's real simple to download and use apps on it. Like anything new, it takes a little time to get used to using, but streaming is really easy these days and if you need to do it, don't let fear of technology stop you. A lot has changed since it first became a thing.

And FWIW, I used to have DirecTV and then I got Hulu with the EPSN/Disney bundle, live TV, and several subscription channels through prime and am still paying less per month that I was for DirectTV and that does not include the Center Ice package.

• Wow
Reactions: sooshii and BMC

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Personally I'm trying to avoid certain topics pertaining to Disney as I don't want to offend anyone or get banned. The above was a compilation from various reports concerning Disney. I use to love Disney, even had my honeymoon at Walt Disney World years ago; but I no longer give my money to Disney and have had nothing to do with Disney the past several years (seems I'm not alone). Let's just say, they are no longer the family safe/friendly institution of my youth, which is sad. Others may feel differently, and that's okay, but this has been my choice of late.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Round we go in circles.

Every time the consumer finds a way to save a buck, the cable companies, the networks, and the entities that own and operate then find a way to counter.

For some, cutting the cord and streaming are more cost efficient alternatives.

To me, it’s not worth navigating the logistical hoops to (maybe) save a buck.

For many, they simply won’t bother watching.
My old man just doesn’t bother anymore.

Disney continues to gobble up properties and milk the cow, hoping the geese will lay just a few more golden eggs.

It’s way too much between the MCU, all the Star Wars spin-offs, and the live action remakes of classic animated Disney properties.

How many times can ESPN clean house and lay off staff?

From what I’ve seen posted on social media, subscriptions are way way down since they reacquired part of the NHL package.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Interesting that they listed GoG III as part of that list of movies that lost money, as that one probably made money in the end, but everything else was kind of a disaster. Snow White is by all accounts going to be an absolute train wreck. They should really just change the title of it before they release it in n attempt to save the IP

Disney Studios has inexplicably decided that customer satisfaction is not something they care about.

In terms of this Spectrum thing. What really shocks me is that this change was made during Prime time, and not at 2am when things like this would normally happen

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad