OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Seis

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Love the hire even though I view Poch as more of a "project" guy and less of the "proven tournament winner" I think they need. He did drag a Kane-less Spurs to the CL final though so maybe he can repeat that magic.

Obviously you don't have the same time with national teams but I really hope this team can have a much better press. I really think our players are built for it:

Balogun
Pulisic-Reyna-Weah
Adams/Johnny - Wes/Musah
Jedi - ??? - Richards - Scally
???

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Overall he is a good manager, the most accomplished by far we’ve ever had. I’m impressed by the hire, without a doubt.
I'm just happy they took a chance. If Pooch flames out then so be it, at least they gave themselves the best chance they could. Crazy we've gone from a coach whose top jobs were mid-table MLS and Swedish second division to a guy who has coached and done mostly well at three of the largest clubs in the world. The Emma Hayes hire was brilliant too.

All I've asked for is for them to hire the coaches and play the players based on merit. Put your best foot forward and if it's not good enough at least you followed a good process.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm just happy they took a chance. If Pooch flames out then so be it, at least they gave themselves the best chance they could. Crazy we've gone from a coach whose top jobs were mid-table MLS and Swedish second division to a guy who has coached and done mostly well at three of the largest clubs in the world. The Emma Hayes hire was brilliant too.

All I've asked for is for them to hire the coaches and play the players based on merit. Put your best foot forward and if it's not good enough at least you followed a good process.
I do think the woman having so much immediate success with Hayes made it easier to convince the powers that be to pony up what it takes to bring in a top level coach for the men.

I’m not expecting miracles here because the difference in talent compared to the best teams in the world is way different between the men and women but I agree, under the circumstances the US gave themselves the best chance they could to have a good World Cup in a couple years with this hire.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1724671320895.png

Insane. You have to figure another 3 or 4 this year moves him up that table to around 2nd or 3rd.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not a big soccer fan but I wanted to chime in and say Haaland looks exactly like Wolf "The Dentist" Stansson.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

"Swiss model"

Draw is today so instead of the previous groups I guess it's the rankings for "seeding pots" that determine who they play their first 8 games against.

"To strengthen the synergy between the league and knockout phases, and to provide more sporting incentive during the league phase, the pairings of the knockout phase will also be partly determined by the league phase rankings, with a draw which likewise determines and lays out the route for teams to reach the final."

Not exactly clear on what this means. I would've thought the 9th seed from the league would just play the 24th seed etc and that's that. This seems like they're gaming it a bit more, or else I'm missing some meaning in the wording.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

Huge blow to women's soccer. Probably the most popular player in her sport, of all time.
FIFA is going to have a hard time replacing her -- elite talent, coupled with -- lets face it --
spectacular looks. Interesting to see who her successor might be.

Reactions: John Price

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Huge blow to women's soccer. Probably the most popular player in her sport, of all time.
FIFA is going to have a hard time replacing her -- elite talent, coupled with -- lets face it --
spectacular looks. Interesting to see who her successor might be.
I take it you were not following the USWNT in the 1990s, with the likes of Michelle Akers (named FIFA Female Player of the Century), Mia Hamm, Kristin Lilly and others from the '99 team. The USWNT set the standard back then for today's program. That '99 team will forever cast a shadow over any of the USWNT's that have followed.

Morgan most popular in the sport of all time, hardly. She couldn't compete with Mia Hamm both on the pitch and in popularity.

Eirikrautha

I take it you were not following the USWNT in the 1990s, with the likes of Michelle Akers (named FIFA Female Player of the Century), Mia Hamm, Kristin Lilly and others from the '99 team. The USWNT set the standard back then for today's program. That '99 team will forever cast a shadow over any of the USWNT's that have followed.

Morgan most popular in the sport of all time, hardly. She couldn't compete with Mia Hamm both on the pitch and in popularity.

Don't forget Abby Wambach in the 2000s, either. She was the premiere striker of her time... unstoppable...

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Poch can't come soon enough man, that was maybe the worst performance from the men since Couva.

Don't really need to see Johnny, Tillman, or Aaronson for a while. Ream still has the fight at least but he just seems completely cooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad